Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Another KDM convert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Carr
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am like going from knowing nothing about KDM to owning the base + 10 expansions, only missing spiducule.

Hope my wallet will not blame me and I will not regret my decision.

But what really intrigues me is the amount of detail going into the mechanics and the almost pen and paper rpg feel of the game. Can't wait to get a game started!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! You should have a great time.

I recommend starting your first campaign without any of the expansions. There's *plenty* of game in it and playing the base will give you a better idea of where to go with the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raintree wrote:
But what really intrigues me is the amount of detail going into the mechanics and the almost pen and paper rpg feel of the game. Can't wait to get a game started!

This is how I felt going in, too. It really feels like this was someone's sole focus for years and years.

It's not a perfect game, but it's a lot of fun. To the right kind of (Dark Souls) gamer, it's worth the asking price and then some.

Now that you've ordered it, my advice: forget all about it until it shows up -- no gameplay videos especially! Save all the exploring for when it's in your hands.

Though you may want to prepare for the mini assembly business:
https://www.amazon.com/Humbrol-AG9150-Modellers-Tool-Set/dp/...

https://www.amazon.com/Testors-3507AT-Liquid-Plastic-1-Ounce...

http://vibrantlantern.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carr
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
There's *plenty* of game in it and playing the base will give you a better idea of where to go with the expansions.
Thanks for the tip! Looks like it will keep me occupied for a long time, not including the time to assemble, paint and what not, not that I'm complaining
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carr
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
[q="raintree"]

Now that you've ordered it, my advice: forget all about it until it shows up -- no gameplay videos especially! Save all the exploring for when it's in your hands.
haha. Good advice. Can be hard tho'. I'm just watching all the review minus gameplay videos over and over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cohen
United States
Shrewsbury Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat. I got the base game in a trade and picked up any expansions that I was worried about going out of stock. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a Dragon King though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raintree wrote:
Olvenskol wrote:
There's *plenty* of game in it and playing the base will give you a better idea of where to go with the expansions.
Thanks for the tip! Looks like it will keep me occupied for a long time, not including the time to assemble, paint and what not, not that I'm complaining

Welcome to the club! I got the base game and within 48h I was ordering the full set of expansions from the shop, such was the amazement! I bet you will enjoy KD:M 10000000% -no regrets for the $$$ paid!

For a start,you only need to assemble the White Lion and the 4 starting survivors. Full assembly details in www.vibrantlantern.com: I am as clumsy as one can be with these things and yet I assembled these in about a morning. Just have the basic tools ready: A cutter, the approprite glue and a pair of scissors/pliers. If you wish to paint the minis, these are quite easy to do even after being assembled. Others might be better of painted in some parts before assembly...your call!

Another tip: don't gather any info on the game (I'd even avoid reading the cards if possible, let alone the rulebook beyond the intro and first showdown!). Just asseble the minis, open the rulebook and start reading. Let the game tell you the story and surprise you at every corner!

The base game will provide tons of contents for you to become familiar with the mechanics, learn the game and seriously try a base campaign. Don't use the expansions until you feel ready to do so (prepare to lose a lot until that XD) and check out which ones would fit better first. Just introduce a couple of them at the most at a time...theres tons of stuff for you to enjoy!

Let us know if you need any help and/or share your feelings!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat, I got 6 expansions and now I'm waiting for the reprint of the core game - hopefully it will be less than a year

http://vibrantlantern.com/

The site is a big help with building game minis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carr
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shu1984 wrote:
am as clumsy as one can be with these things and yet I assembled these in about a morning. Just have the basic tools ready:

Wow! I'm going into this with almost zero experience in assembly, hope I can do as well.

Thank you guys for all the great advice! I feel less intimidated going into this. I think one of the reason why many of us are so obsessed with this game is that, at certain point of time, we all have a certain vision of how our ideal fantasy/rpg/dungeon crawler should be, a game that comes alive with stories and emotions and more details/less abstraction, and this game is probably, to a certain extent, a dream come true for many of us, even if I don't have the talent to realize my vision.

Anyway, back to waiting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Scott
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other pointers for those just taking the KD:M plunge.

Order card sleeves. Read BGG threads, but if nothing else, get the sleeves for the hunt/AI/resource/hit location cards, etc. You'll absolutely need these, and you need a LOT of them.

Consider the binder with mini pocket pages for gear card organization and storage listed here.

And finally, and most importantly, do NOT be intimidated. I have a friend who got the game, and it took a while for him to get around to assembling it. Opening the base game box, it looked like it would take a tremendous amount to time until he could assemble enough to play.

ALL YOU NEED TO PLAY IS THE 4 STARTING SURVIVORS AND WHITE LION. Everything else can wait. These 5 models are also pretty straight forward and easy to assemble. It took my friend longer to sleeve all his cards than to assemble the models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.