1 , 2  Next »   | 

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Project Star Trek: WIP - Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Star Trek re-skin project starting to move along (at least in my head - hopefully my fingers can keep up before I forget anything useful I come up with...), I thought it's be good to break up the thread into different components, to focus discussion, and make ideas and changes easier to track.

So I'm going to start her with rules ideas. The main rules will mirror Firefly pretty closely - we're not trying to reinvent any wheels, but there will be a few changes as things progress beyond just terminology.

The primary change to the rules is terminology. Some changes are easy and logical and/or have been discussed in the original thread. Others are trickier.

Money in Firefly becomes Prestige in Star Trek. Mechanically it functions exactly the same way. Thematically, you are the captain of a military vessel. For all intents and purposes, money is no object. However, your reputation is important, and as you successfully complete missions and save the galaxy, your reputation will grow. You have to share some of that glory with your crew, and you will spend some to acquire better upgrades for your ship and equipment for your crew.

For consistency on the cards, you GAIN or LOSE Prestige (as opposed to "take" in Firefly), and SHARE it with your crew after a successful Mission (instead of "paying" them). SPEND may be a verb for some instances as well.

Jobs in Firefly become Missions (or maybe ASSIGNMENTS). Misbehave cards become Crisis cards. The basic format of the crads remains the same.

Missions will be assigned by Admirals. Perhaps you REPORT to the Admiral instead of DEALING with them in order to get Missions. I'm wondering if you should have to take the top card from the deck when you REQUEST a Mission, with the option to spend some Prestige (say 100) to look at another card. Missions in the discard pile are free to view as in Firefly, and as in Firefly, the total you can look at at once is 3, and you may accept up to 2.

Some characters may include a Mission as their Ability. These might be an admiral who needs you to take him to a Starbase, or Sarek who needs transport to the Babel conference, or Cyrano Jones who you are transporting to the Klingon border to be extradited for ecological crimes against the Klingon Empire, or a Federation spy you're quietly taking to an undisclosed location on the Romulan border.

These missions should probably have a time limit, but, while the characters are on board, you can use them as crew. There should be a penalty in Prestige if they get killed on your watch as well as some mechanic for removing them from your ship if the time has expired. Perhaps when you dock at a Starbase with such an expired mission, you roll a die (like having Wanted crew)for each one. On a 1, the expired mission/crew is removed from your ship, you lose some Prestige, and the card is placed either in the Admiral's discard pile, or at the bottom (or shuffled into) the Admiral's deck. This would be to keep the same player form just grabbing it again right away. It shouldn't matter if it's the same Starbase that the character originally came from.

Buy becomes Requisition. Same mechanic: View 3, Requisition up to 2.

Misbehave cards become Crisis cards. Same format should work.

Warrants become Reprimands. Like Warrants, your captain will acquire them for failing Missions spectacularly. Things like getting an ambassador killed or violating the Prime Directive. There should be ways to remove them. Perhaps every time you successfully complete a Mission for Admiral Badger, he removes one of your Reprimands from your record. I like the idea of a Starship roaming Federation space carrying a Federation Magistrate as an analog to the Alliance Cruiser. If your captain has any Reprimands, he would be called to a Court Marshal. Roll a die. If the result is equal or less than the number of Reprimands, the captain is relieved of command, and sent to prison (removed from the game, or maybe placed at the bottom of his/her origination supply deck). If you exceed the result, remove a Reprimand, and carry on with your day, uncomfortable in the fact that the magistrate will be watching you very closely.

The Magistrate's ship creates an interesting possibility for multi-ship actions against large threats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Prestige vs money brings up some interesting questions. In Firefly, if you fail to complete a Job, there is often no impact other than loss of time (on a Botch, anyway). In this model, perhaps there should be a loss of Prestige on a failure? Your reputation takes a hit as you don't get the job done effectively.

What will the equivalent of a "Warrant" be? I assume that maybe you're making such risky moves that the Admiral takes the mission away from you and is unhappy with your behavior?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Prestige vs money brings up some interesting questions. In Firefly, if you fail to complete a Job, there is often no impact other than loss of time (on a Botch, anyway). In this model, perhaps there should be a loss of Prestige on a failure? Your reputation takes a hit as you don't get the job done effectively.

I don't think that there is a need for a simple botch to impact Prestige. These are merely delays and the loss of time is enough of a penalty.

Spectacular failure looks like it will grant a Reprimand.

gwek wrote:
What will the equivalent of a "Warrant" be? I assume that maybe you're making such risky moves that the Admiral takes the mission away from you and is unhappy with your behavior?

I agree that receiving a Reprimand should result in the loss of the Mission, just like a Warrant in Firefly. My question is, will Reprimands also result in a 1000P fine (in addition to the Court Martial mechanism) like Warrants? If not, there should probably be some method for Reprimands to result in a loss of Prestige.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some Missions, particularly high reward Missions, can include a loss of Prestige for failures.

I was thinking some Missions could offer removal of a Reprimand as part of the "Payment". It could be part of the incentive of taking that Mission over another one. Perhaps one or two Admirals could have some of those Missions scattered in their decks. Maybe some of the Mission/Characters offer that as payment to encourage you to get on with the Mission. maybe sometimes it's an either/or (Gain P1000 or remove a Reprimand from 1 Crew).

Should the P for Prestige come before the amount, like the $ symbol, or should it come after?

Should there be an Admiral Badger who lets you "buy off" a Reprimand with a straight up loss (payment) of Prestige? Or is it more fun/thematic/dangerous to have to work it off?

turambur wrote:
I agree that receiving a Reprimand should result in the loss of the Mission, just like a Warrant in Firefly. My question is, will Reprimands also result in a 1000P fine (in addition to the Court Martial mechanism) like Warrants? If not, there should probably be some method for Reprimands to result in a loss of Prestige.

Maybe if you are successful in the die roll with the Magistrate you "pay the fine"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:
I think some Missions, particularly high reward Missions, can include a loss of Prestige for failures.

I was thinking some Missions could offer removal of a Reprimand as part of the "Payment". It could be part of the incentive of taking that Mission over another one. Perhaps one or two Admirals could have some of those Missions scattered in their decks. Maybe some of the Mission/Characters offer that as payment to encourage you to get on with the Mission. maybe sometimes it's an either/or (Gain P1000 or remove a Reprimand from 1 Crew).

You are not building Missions that function very differently than the jobs in Firefly. Not that you shouldn't do that, but you do need to stay aware of potential ripple effects that could have on the game.

Scarbuck wrote:
Should the P for Prestige come before the amount, like the $ symbol, or should it come after?

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it. Whichever you think is best is probably fine so long as you are consistent in usage.

Scarbuck wrote:
Should there be an Admiral Badger who lets you "buy off" a Reprimand with a straight up loss (payment) of Prestige? Or is it more fun/thematic/dangerous to have to work it off?

I think there should. Maybe an Admiral that works in Black Ops or was a bit of a Maverick during his starship days, and therefore understands that sometimes things go off the rails and will help smooth things out for captains that are in his good graces.

Scarbuck wrote:
turambur wrote:

Maybe if you are successful in the die roll with the Magistrate you "pay the fine"?

That creates the potential of a situation where a player may prefer to fail the roll than pass it. I'm not sure that I would be comfortable with that happening too often in a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turambur wrote:
You are not building Missions that function very differently than the jobs in Firefly. Not that you shouldn't do that, but you do need to stay aware of potential ripple effects that could have on the game.

I was thinking along the lines of how some Firefly Jobs will offer a bonus for Grifters or whatever, and other types of 'payment incentives'.

turambur wrote:
[q="Scarbuck"]Should the P for Prestige come before the amount, like the $ symbol, or should it come after?

turambur wrote:
I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it. Whichever you think is best is probably fine so long as you are consistent in usage.

Agreed. I do want to nail it down before going too much farther on the templates.

turambur wrote:
That creates the potential of a situation where a player may prefer to fail the roll than pass it. I'm not sure that I would be comfortable with that happening too often in a game.

Well, as I laid it out above, failing would lose you the character, so I think they'd still want to succeed. And perhaps under those circumstances, of making a die roll, 1000 is too steep. Maybe a lower cost is warranted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turambur wrote:

Well, as I laid it out above, failing would lose you the character, so I think they'd still want to succeed. And perhaps under those circumstances, of making a die roll, 1000 is too steep. Maybe a lower cost is warranted. [/q]

Why not have it be somewhat like current except it is (x amount) of prestige to remove a reprimand with the magistrate, if you don't have enough to clear them all you clear as many as you have prestige for, then the rest of your prestige is "lost" but you keep the remaining reprimands.
Thus they don't all go away unless you have the prestige to convince the "court" that they should be removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:

turambur wrote:

Well, as I laid it out above, failing would lose you the character, so I think they'd still want to succeed. And perhaps under those circumstances, of making a die roll, 1000 is too steep. Maybe a lower cost is warranted.

There are times in games (when your crew is built enough to handle the loss of one member) where the cash hit will hurt more than losing a crew, especially if you have more than one Reprimand on the ship.

Have you considered actually using a version of Wanted crew instead of conflating that mechanism onto Warrants? They could be crew that are rogue officers wanted to stand for Court Martial or even non-Starfleet types that could be useful on a ship--like adding a Klingon or Romulan to your crew without clearing it with Starfleet first.

You could still have the potential for your captain to stand for court martial by adding a mechanism to add Wanted to a crew for some Crisis and/or Mission outcomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can definitely be fleshed out a bit.

You know, there are a lot more intricacies to this game than when I said, hey, let's do a Star Trek version.

Had not considered adding Wanted crew. It's Starfleet, so that sort of thing wouldn't happen often. Not often enough to warrant more rules. I think it's definitely fodder for an expansion adding in as many unsavory characters as possible. There are certainly several Klingon characters that popped up during the run of the show, and it'd be interesting to throw a Klingon supply planet and ship (player ship) into the mix. But first things first I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just a few things to comment on here.

Quote:
Thematically, you are the captain of a military vessel.

Although it's a somewhat academic point here, I think it's important to pin this down.

I actually disagree with the above statement. The way the rules are depicted so far, the player is "the ship" (as in "these are the voyages of..."). This IS different from Firefly, where the player is the combination of the ship and the captain. The focus on the ship may or may not have impact on some elements, but it's important to remember that the Enterprise is still the Enterprise whether Kirk is in command or Spock.

CREW WITH MISSIONS ON THEM: I like the idea. These should be zero prestige to recruit, with a payoff if you succeed and a penalty if you fail. Maybe some even require a roll or pre-req for delivery.

Perhaps there's a time limit for each. Remove a token at the end of every turn. At the beginning of each turn, roll a dice for each "passenger" without a token: on 1-2, Remove from Play.

Further, if you fail the mission, I think they should be removed from play. No re-dos. Sarek missed the Conference. Now no one can get him there.

WARRANTS / REPRIMANDS: What if there are Crew-level and Ship-level Reprimands? (Thus combining the ideas of Warrants, Wanted, and Disgruntled).

When a Crew receives a Reprimand, put a Reprimand token on their card. When they accumulate a certain amount (more than Rank?), they are Removed from Play. Further, when they encounter the Magistrate, any Crew with Reprimands must roll a dice. Roll equal or under, they are Removed from Play. (I don't know that you would remove Reprimands at this point.)

At the Ship level, it's acts more like a Warrant in Firefly. The ship becomes more and more notorious. If you encounter the Magistrate (or perhaps other circumstances) with Ship-Level reprimands, you are lose Prestige as you are called to task for your actions.

Thus, Captain Kirk collects some Reprimands and gallivants through the galaxy with high prestige, but when the time comes to pay the piper, his reputation finally takes a hit as folks realize that the crew of the Enterprise is human after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Just a few things to comment on here.

Quote:
Thematically, you are the captain of a military vessel.

Although it's a somewhat academic point here, I think it's important to pin this down.

I actually disagree with the above statement. The way the rules are depicted so far, the player is "the ship" (as in "these are the voyages of..."). This IS different from Firefly, where the player is the combination of the ship and the captain. The focus on the ship may or may not have impact on some elements, but it's important to remember that the Enterprise is still the Enterprise whether Kirk is in command or Spock.

You are 100% correct sir. I disavow my former statement. It's a small, but very important distinction to keep in mind as we move forward.

gwek wrote:
CREW WITH MISSIONS ON THEM: I like the idea. These should be zero prestige to recruit, with a payoff if you succeed and a penalty if you fail. Maybe some even require a roll or pre-req for delivery.

Perhaps there's a time limit for each. Remove a token at the end of every turn. At the beginning of each turn, roll a dice for each "passenger" without a token: on 1-2, Remove from Play.

Further, if you fail the mission, I think they should be removed from play. No re-dos. Sarek missed the Conference. Now no one can get him there.

Cool. I think some could cost 0 Prestige, such as hauling Mudd to a prison planet. That's not a very glorious job, and the payoff won't be as high. Others, such as transporting dignitaries, are high Presitge Assignments. It makes sense you would have to trade in some of your acquired reputation to get the job over some other captain, and the payoff would be higher as well. Maybe even with a bonus for speedy delivery.

I don't think the character should disappear automatically if the mission fails. You're not going to vent Sarek into space because you didn't get him to the conference on time "I'm sorry Admiral, but I left the ambassador at Starbase 42 as ordered. He didn't report to the conference? That's very curious. I wish I had more information for you... uh... gotta go, Gorns attacking. Bye."

I think you could have a mechanism for removing him from play when you dock at a Starbase. Maybe a die roll, which could be higher or lower for different characters or even modified by starbase. Along the lines of Wanted crew and the Cruiser. But part of the idea behind this type of character is that they offer some non-starfleet crew, that you might actually find more valuable to keep around than completing the mission. But there's a risk to using them that you might lose them, and they are costly to get killed.

gwek wrote:
WARRANTS / REPRIMANDS: What if there are Crew-level and Ship-level Reprimands? (Thus combining the ideas of Warrants, Wanted, and Disgruntled).

When a Crew receives a Reprimand, put a Reprimand token on their card. When they accumulate a certain amount (more than Rank?), they are Removed from Play. Further, when they encounter the Magistrate, any Crew with Reprimands must roll a dice. Roll equal or under, they are Removed from Play. (I don't know that you would remove Reprimands at this point.)

At the Ship level, it's acts more like a Warrant in Firefly. The ship becomes more and more notorious. If you encounter the Magistrate (or perhaps other circumstances) with Ship-Level reprimands, you are lose Prestige as you are called to task for your actions.

Thus, Captain Kirk collects some Reprimands and gallivants through the galaxy with high prestige, but when the time comes to pay the piper, his reputation finally takes a hit as folks realize that the crew of the Enterprise is human after all.

I like that. Maybe there's a better name for Reprimand as it refers to the ship, to make things less confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've got a list of keywords narrowed down to something manageable but useful, but it could no doubt use some more massaging.

DEPARTMENTS: These would be most analogous to the Career Keywords in use, and while some are fairly obvious analogs, other are more singularly Trek.

COMMAND: Necessary to sit in the Big Chair. I'm thinking that if your ship has no crew with this, you cannot accept any Missions. I think you should be able to work existing Missions, as if your captain is killed, the crew would likely want to complete the mission.
SCIENCE: A lot of the Missions should be exploratory types of things where all the different sciences will be important. I toyed with going with different specific branches of science (geology, astrobiology, etc.) but I don't think it's neccessary. KISS.
[b]MEDICAL: Same as a Firefly doctor or medic.
ENGINEERING: Same as a Firefly Mechanic.
NAVIGATION: Basically a Pilot.
COMMUNICATIONS: In Firefly terms, this would overlap Companion just a little. I see it as a profession that mixes Tech and Talk.
SECURITY: This would be your Soldier if you wanted to assign a Firefly Career, and tactical skills (land or space) fall into this category.

KEYWORDS: Not sure what to call these other than just 'keywords'. Most are Gear based, but some are career type keywords.

DRESS UNIFORM: Basically Fancy Duds. I can see some missions only allowing you to assign Crew with Dress uniforms. Others just requiring the Keyword. Like starting the Mission where you pick up Sarek.
TRANSPORT: Works basically the same as Firefly. Handles Transporters and Shuttles.
FIREARM: Didn't want to use the same word, but it kind of is what it is. Not opposed to using 'PHASER' instead, but 'firearm' is more generic to cover all, well, firearms.
DISRUPTOR: Roughly analogous to a Sniper Rifle in that it's a more powerful type of Firearm. I see the idea of 'Explosives' also rolling into this, as they don't come up in Star Trek much, though I'm not opposed to splitting it if necessary. When used in PVP, Disruptor would remove the first crew killed without the benefit of a Medic test.
MELEE: Klingon knives and Vulcan blades, and other such things.
DIPLOMAT: This one is more analogous to Companion, but without the prostitute part. Comes up a lot in Trek, and I can see certain gear giving this bonus, from Kirk's Dress Uniform to some sort of paperwork.
CLEARANCE: As in Security Clearance. Could maybe use a better name. I'm seeing this as important for certain missions, particularly missions sending you into Romulan space to gather intelligence or something. Other types of sensitive Missions could also require this.
VULCAN: Didn't want to delve too far down the alien race rabbit hole, but Vulcans are so intrinsic to Star Trek that it's hard not to add them. One of the ships I'd like to do is the Intrepid, which, as I understand it, had an entirely Vulcan crew. So the Ability I came up for it is that Vulcan Crew do not count toward the Crew limit. I don't think this will be the type of Keyword that comes up often, but there could be some Missions that require a Vulcan crew member to intercede or interact with Vulcan groups. It could also give a bonus Fight when using a Vulcan blade - really need to find out what those are called.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lirpa.

I know you really, really want people to carry Phasers and Tricorders, but, with exception of Transporters, most of the keywords you're listing sound like they would come from training, but stuff.

For example, the way you describe it, Dress Uniform is really Etiquette. Melee and Firearm are different types of security training, etc.

BTW, I could be mistaken, but I believe Disruptors are illegal in Federation Space. I thought they were really only used by Klingons and their ilk because they're designed to cause pain and kill people.

Or maybe I'm thinking of Mandalorians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! Lirpa!

Thanks.

You may be right about the disruptors. Have to check on that. Anyone have a copy of the 23rd century Federation Statutes?

Anyone?

I wanted to give the Phaser Rifle a little more punch. Again, a lot of this at this point is small modifications to the Firefly template with larger changes as things get massaged out. Have to start somewhere. Also, I'm thinking now that Klingons are ripe fodder for an expansion, so there's a little built in there for them, both in terms of gear as well as PVP posibilities.

Yes and no I think. Melee is really just a companion to Firearm. It might not be necessary to have knives and Vulcan blades in the supply deck, but it'd be darn cool. In my brain I'm remembering the Gladiator fights on the Roman planet. Those swords and shields aren't really practical as gear cause a phaser has more application.

Buuuuuut.... What if Transporters (maybe the upgraded transporters) allows you to swap Equipment during a mission after you see the Crisis card. Ie: After a Crisis card is revealed, one Crew may swap equipped Equipment with Equipment on board the ship.

"Kirk to Enterprise. Scotty, we've run into a little problem. I need you to beam down my toga and gladius."

Dress Uniform is equivalent to Fancy Duds. I wouldn't think it necessary, but they came up several times in the series, so they could come in handy.

Diplomat, Clearance, and Vulcan are really the only things I see as more training related, but with the first 2, I think they can straddle career/gear depending on the item. With Vulcan, I don't think it really belongs in the box with the departments, as it becomes an outlier. I don't see it really showing up on any gear - except maybe on a home cosmetic surgery kit (Vulcan ears, get it?), but as a Crew keyword I think it fits.

By that token, if Klingon becomes a thing with an expansion, there ought to be a Klingon keyword as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looked into the Disruptor legal issue. As it turns out, the phasers have a disruptor setting, so I think we're in the clear from the point of potential litigation.

That said, is it worth changing the Keyword 'FIREARM' to 'PHASER'? Basically, every gun will be a phaser or disruptor.

Is MELEE actually necessary as a Keyword? I'm thinking it might not be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry for the confusion. I must have been thinking of disruptors in the Star Wars setting!

As for whether Melee is a necessary keyword, that's really up to you. What would the use be? I could theoretically envision missions or crisis options where martial arts, etc, would be useful - like sneaking into a facility without weapons, or dealing with a native population without revealing phasers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's kinda what I was thinking. But I'm guessing that Kosherized would cover that just as well. Then just note on a weapon that it can be used in a Kosherized fight.

On that subject, I'm thinking Kosherized is not a particularly Trekky sounding word (I'm not sure if Kirk or Spock would be amused or offended). What about "HAND-TO-HAND", to refer to unarmed combats?

The Vulcan Nerve Pinch is something to work out. Maybe it's a subrule of the VULCAN Keyword, and grants +2 Fight in HAND-TO-HAND.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do you want to address Kosherized in the same way? When and how a fight becomes "Kosherized" would be different in Firefly vs Trek.

And what about Bribes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think so. There were an awful lot of hand to hand fights in Trek, mostly as a way to get Kirk's shirt ripped off (a joke in the new movie), but still, it came up often.

I do imagine they'd come up the same way, primarily through the 'Misbehave' cards.

A lot of times they were unarmed because they'd been captured. Thinking out loud here: that there could be 'Misbehave' results that allowed you to proceed after a lowish roll, but without gear, and you would have to face the next card empty handed.

Bribes is something I'm not sure translates over. Certainly not the material wealth bribe anyway. So the question is, can you bribe your way out of a tough situation by banking on your reputation, particularly if we assume that most of these 'Misbehave' situations represent encounters with people who haven't met or heard about you before?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put these together as the card backs for Misbehaves. There would be 2 decks: one for space encounters and the other for ground encounters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I'm looking at for Supply Decks and Contacts...

CONTACTS
Starfleet Command (Sol System): Admiral Tobenamed: Primary focus on exploration and transport Missions.

Federation Flagship (Roaming): Admiral Tobenamed (tentatively Admiral Harken): Primary focus on patrols of federation space.

Starbase 10 (around the center of the board, near Romulan space): Commodore Mendez: Primary focus on incursions into Romulan space and lightly patrolling the Neutral Zone.

Starbase 11 (far corner of the map, near the future Klingon Neutral Zone): Commodore Stone: Primary focus on transport of supplies and personnel to colonies.

Starbase 12 (near Romulan space, near Earth Outpost 1): Admiral Tobenamed: Primary focus on patrolling the Neutral Zone and border.

SUPPLY LOCATIONS
Starfleet Command (Sol System): Primary focus on command crew but more wide mix of crew and gear.

Starbase 10 (around the center of the board, near Romulan space): Primary focus on medical crew and gear.

Starbase 11 (far corner of the map, near the future Klingon Neutral Zone): Primary focus on ship upgrades.

Vulcan (center of the map): Primary focus on Vulcan crew and science gear.

Earth Outpost 1 (far corner of the map, near the Romulan Neutral Zone): Primary focus on ship weapons, tactical crew.

Updated map concept for reference. Concentrating here on the main board, and not detailing the Klingon board, which would have Deep Space K-7 as Federation supply and maybe contact (but will probably pass those jobs to Starbase 11) and the Klingon Homeworld as a supply/contact location for the Klingon players with another one of each in the lower board section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:

Misbehave cards become Crisis cards. Same format should work.

I know I'm late to the discussion, but could this be called Subtrefuge? or Entanglements? "Crisis" is kinda huge. Or maybe "Complications"?

Maybe Crime Jobs become Subtrefuge Missions. And the Misbehave is Complications?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, wow man, like by one day. Game already went to print. Sorry.

kidding...

I do like the word 'complications'.

What I've got in my head at the moment - and I'll be honest, 'in-my-head' is a rather jumbled place to be these days - is these deck:

5 Supply Decks
5 Contact Decks
3 Nav Decks
2 Misbehave Decks (one for ground missions, one for space)
1 Distress Deck

Supply and Contact decks work pretty much as per Firefly. Ain't broke.

Misbehave decks also work the same, just that they're divided into 2 areas. I'm going with 'Crisis' for now, but have also floated 'Encounter' as I thought I might need the word 'Crisis' for a different deck. Some missions will direct you to a planet, so you draw planet cards. Some will have you in empty space, so you draw space cards. Some will combine the 2, so might have to draw a space card, then 2 planet cards.

I'm also thinking that some ground cards will direct you to draw a space card for a 'Meanwhile, back on the ship...' effect. You still do the same number of misbehaves.

Nav Decks will have a little more going on. There are 4 NPC ships floating around: 1 Federation Flagship (which is one of the contacts - a la Harken), a Romulan ship in Romulan space, and a civilian transport (the model is the Botany Bay). There is also a Planet Killer, but it won't start on the board at the beginning. It'll come on later through a Nav card.

Flagship is pretty standard, and will move like the Alliance Cruiser.

Romulan, likewise will move like Reavers, but will not necessarily be limited to Romulan space. So there will likely be some cards in the Federation deck that direct you or the player to your right to move the Romulan ship.

The transport is a new concept here. It doesn't JUST represent Khan. It represents random civilians plying he space lanes. And also Khan. It will move around using the same Nav card mechanism. There may be some missions that have you rendezvous with it to transfer medical supplies or whatnot.

In the Nav decks there will be SOS cards. When you pull one of those, there is some sort of emergency at the Transport. The first player to reach it (the closest ship in the quadrant) will then flip a card from the Distress Deck. These will be different types of events, like maybe it's being attacked by the Romulans - move the Romulan ship there, or Kahn tries to take over your ship, or the you're directed to move the Transport to the nearest planet, where it's going to crash into the planet. Transport the crew to safety and let the ship crash for a small reward, (maybe even a Reprimand because you let a warp capable ship crash on a pre-warp civilization - Prime Directive and all) OR beam aboard and fix it (risking crew because a bad failure would mean one didn't beam back in time and went down with the civilians) and earn a greater reward.

I'm also thinking that in the Nav decks, rather than the random engine breakdowns and such (or perhaps in addition to) some cards would direct you to draw a Space Crisis (Misbehave), and solve it to keep flying. It allows for a lot more random chaos in space without padding out the Nav decks.

The Planet Killer comes in when you pull a Nav Card directing you to. You can fight it (at the end of your turn), but it should be pretty tough. Probably take multiple ships to take it down. From that point on, at the beginning of every turn, the player with the "dinosaur" (which is a captain's chair), moves it one space toward the nearest planet. At the end of the turn, the last thing the player with the "dinosaur" does before passing it to the next player is destroy whatever planet the Planet Killer is on. There will be some debris tokens to cover the planet on the board.

You would team up to fight it by having players meet on that sector with the Planet Killer. The last player to arrive triggers the fight, and players add their scores together to roll against the NPC. Defeat it and win glory. Fail and it eats a planet.

As for the different types of Missions... So far I have:

Transport Missions: Space is vast, and at this time, there aren't that many ships flying around, let alone as fast or powerful as a Federation Starship, so sometimes you'll have to transport medical supplies, or colonists, or food, important equipment, diplomats, or even cattle. There could be some Crisis cards thrown into the mix.

Scanning Missions: Go to a planet and SCAN it. This is a die roll. YOu need a 6. Some crew and ship upgrades will reduce that. Success, take a Scanning Token. You may have to return to base with the token or move onto another sector and scan again. It might be something like "Scan 2 planets in the Neutral Zone and return to Starbase 10 with your data for x reward." There could be some Crisis cards thrown into the mix too.

Encounter Missions: Go to a planet, and draw x Crisis Cards. Could be all one kind or some of each.

Any of these could cross pollinate, so you could end up with an Encounter Mission which requires you to deliver something to that planet.

In the interest of keep the game inexpensive where possible and easy where feasible, rather than using Cargo tokens, I was looking at these from BGG: http://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/translucent-plastic-c...

50 of them for $3, any color you want. There are metal ones too, if you prefer, but they're more expensive.

... so that's more or less what's in my head about that for now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In trying to work out characters, I came to the Medical staff. I was trying to come up with a way to differentiate the different levels of doctors and nurses with a consistent and concise text.

I came up with something that's textually is a little different than Firefly, but mechanically works the same.

Medical Check:
The MEDICAL department keyword allows you to attempt to save a crew member who has been killed. Roll a die. on a 1-7, the crew member is dead. On a 8+, the crew member is still alive. Anyone with the MEDICAL keyword may make the attempt. Different crew will cumulatively add to the die roll.

For example, Dr. McCoy give you a +4 to the roll, and Nurse Chapel gives you a +1, so working together, they will save a crew member on a 3+. If they have a Medkit (+1) they can save that Redshirt on a 2+.

If the dead crew member is part of a Landing Party, determine if you will treat him on the ground or on the ship. If treating on the ground, roll as described above. If treating on the ship, you have to get him back there using the Transporter. Make a TRANSPORTER test (Tech roll using the icons on the Transporter you have installed and the crew member you have assigned to man it). 1-5 FAIL. The crew member doesn't make it. 6+ Transport Successful. Take him to Sick Bay and make the Medical Check.

The reason for that is thematic and mechanical. You may not have assigned a Medic to the Landing Party. Also the facilities on your ship will likely be better than what you have on the ground. Maybe better doctors, and more and better equipment. So it might be worth the risk to you to get him back to the ship.

Also, some death causing effects might have negatives to your Medical Check if treating on the ground, for example, a firefight, or a bad disease.

On the subject of the Transporter. What I'm thinking is that the card is designed to have a Crew slot. You assign a crew member there to man the Transporter room. To beam people on to, or off of, a planet or other ship you make a Tech test adding the skill icons for the assigned crew member and for the transporter equipped (upgraded versions have upgraded skills). Some characters, like say Scotty, would allow you to use their icons from anywhere on the ship. A Fail on the Transporter Roll would mean one crew member never materializes. Remove him and his gear from the game.

Shuttles would be a non dangerous way to get to a planet, and would require someone with NAVIGATION.

Maybe you have to draw a Navigation card when using a Shuttle, to represent the possible danger on the way down. It eliminates the 'safe' option, but does add some excitement, and creates an opening for Crew abilities that negate or modify that draw (like draw 2 nav cards and discard 1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were discussing some term equivalencies in the Ship thread, and I thought I'd swing it over here.

Trying to figure out if "Solid" needs to be replaced as a term. Motosada suggested "Trust" and "Confidence" which are both appropriate. But the more I ponder, I think maybe going with the more formal "Solid Reputation" instead of the more slangy "Solid" or "Solid Rep" might just work.

Disgruntled Crew leaving when getting that second token is "Voluntary Transfer".

Requisitioning (hiring) Disgruntled Crew from another player... "Reassignment", "Transfer Orders", and "Transfer Request" are suggestions (Motosada's). They all work I think. "Transfer Request" might work best I think, and an ability that protected your crew from this could be "you may Deny a Transfer Request" [possibly for a specific type of Crew].

Was thinking that
needed a new name. Came up with
. But I'm thinking Showdown was right all along. Trek, old Trek at least, was always a space western anyway.

Further thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.