Subject: Greenhorn terminology question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
What's a good single term for games that encompasses Eurogames, Ameritrash, German, deckbuilders, etc. and yet differentiates them from more mainstream games like Trivial Pursuit, Sorry, Monopoly, and their ilk?

I realize that "mainstream" is a shifting thing since you can find good games at Target and similar stores, but surely there's a good term that would let attendees to my planned game night know they're in for something better than Monopoly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll typically hear them called hobby games or modern board games while the others are referred to as mass market games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered using "Good" and "Bad"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Germans have a word for everything; how about "Kennerspiel"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister P
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Designer Boardgames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I´ve also seen the term "designer boardgames" being used, because modern boardgames almost always have the designer name visibly featured on the front of the box, and you can expect certain themes, mechanics and/or overall quality if you are already familiar with the designer.

Mass market games tend to be published just under the name of the company, with little to no recognition to the creator (which also says a bit about how those games are created and marketed in the first place).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, with recent news, you might just be able to use the one word Asmodee (as opposed to "Hasbro")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks folks!
Until recently I'd been calling them all eurogames, but my collection has moved beyond that and it was never totally accurate anyway.

I like "designer boardgames". It sounds just a touch snooty, but it's probably a good descriptor and a useful term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some spend their money on designer clothing. Here, we'd rather have designer board games. I actually refer to my games as "snooty board games" sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
TGOO(These Games Of Ours)

That's right, I'm bringing it back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Designer and Hobby games are the terms I hear the most.
I have issues with Designer games as a term, makes me think of designer babies, like it is something you customise yourself.
Where as Hobby games is nicely descriptive, they are games you go out of your way to play as a hobby, not the trivial pursuit or monopoly people generally pull out of the cupboard when there is nothing else to do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
mb
When I briefly explain this hobby to those that aren't familiar with all the great gaming choices out there beyond the familiar "classics" that you find on the shelves of the mass market merchandisers and supermarkets... ie Monopoly, Scrabble etc... I use the term "modern boardgames".

Obviously there are some actual great older games as well... Go, Crokinole etc... but "modern boardgames" I think helps to convey the shift in design sensibilities that has occurred in the last ~25 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the 'modern' bandwagon if I have to choose, I usually don't add a descriptor at all. Saying 'designer games' would make me barf a little in my mouth, but does embody the culture of the present, unoforuntately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the term "boutique games".

It takes that "barf a little in my mouth" pretentiousness to it's ridiculous conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
darthain wrote:
I'm on the 'modern' bandwagon if I have to choose, I usually don't add a descriptor at all. Saying 'designer games' would make me barf a little in my mouth, but does embody the culture of the present, unoforuntately.

Hmm, "Modern" does separate them from the "Classics" that most folks are familiar with while not sounding snooty. I might go with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.