GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,520 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
98 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Are Board Games Getting Worse? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Bo
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this has been posted yet. Sorry if it's a re-post

http://www.bestplay.co/board-games-getting-worse/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you get older board games get worse ...

It's not like what it was in the old days, sonny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
What a silly article. The author is using BGG ratings like they are some sort of meaningful measurement. Obviously if games are getting better than people's standards are raised and their rankings will reflect that. So, a game that scores a 7 for a person today may have scored an 8 a few years ago.

The more products that come out in the marketplace, the more work is required of the consumer to find the product that best fits their needs. Now tons of games are being made for so many different types of people. Everyone can have their perfect games that feel like they are tailor made just for their interests. If people are not willing to put in the work to find that awesome game for them, then they are going to feel like there are too many "bad games" on the market.

Games are much better now than they were 5 or 10 or however many years ago. It's the same for video games. If people are lazy and they can't put the work in, then that's on them, not the industry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I've been gaming designer games since 1982 - and so have most of my primary gaming group - but getting a game older than a decade on the table is met with grunts of "oh, no". The reason is simple : this is the Golden Age of boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I walk by my shelves, and as far as I can see, they remain unchanged.

Pete (still plays every week, too)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's because the same damn games keep being released, mostly via Kickstarter. Mostly dungeon crawl style games that feature fantasy tropes and/or zombie apocalypse. They're the same type of game, with the same type of modified dice rolls for skill checks, with the same type of miniatures, with the same type of story, with the same types of characters, blah blah blah...

Sure the story details, character attributes & names, skill & power names, and mini sculpts are slightly different. But slightly, it seems enough to make a new game different enough that it needs to exist. Pish posh! Just more of the same old, same old being rehashed and reserved as if it were a totally new entree. I know that fast food chili is just the leftover burgers, chopped up and added to the pot. But they don't try to serve it a million different ways, in slightly different packaging, and pretend it's something else by giving it a different name. Enough already! The Pachisi/Trouble/Sorry game model has already been beaten to death. Less chili, more fish sandwiches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also wonder if Kickstarter has anything to do with it. There are a lot of games that come out from there and ever increasing, with only a handful being "good" while the rest are usually mediocre or worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is more junk polluting the industry than ever before. On the flipside there are some of the most innovative games ever coming out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

I've been gaming designer games since 1982 - and so have most of my primary gaming group - but getting a game older than a decade on the table is met with grunts of "oh, no". The reason is simple : this is the Golden Age of boardgames.

The golden age of retreads and KS mishaps. Maybe you are saying "oh no" to older games because you feel like you played them out and are stuck on newer games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every year there will be some good games and lots of average games and some absolute turds. It's just the way it is, things will never change.

Ray (wants to strangle Pete )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
What a silly article. The author is using BGG ratings like they are some sort of meaningful measurement.

Exactly so. BGG ratings are utterly arbitrary. They're susceptible to shills, people with axes to grind and trolls. They're used by different people to represent different things - for example, some people, as we know, rate without having played games, based on how much they'd like to play a given game, yet others only rate games they have played several times. On that note, many people rate after one play and never revise their ratings. Also, given that there's (as far as I know) no weighting or adjustment given to historical ratings that were made in times past when there were far fewer games with which to draw comparisons, and when the hobby was less mainstream, the yardstick of "quality" may have shifted radically. As a very vague finger-in-the-wind measure of popularity (emphatically NOT of quality), they may be useful, but not for the sort of number crunching the article's author is doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't think games are getting worse, I think we're just far more aware of all the board games that come out in a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
I also wonder if Kickstarter has anything to do with it. There are a lot of games that come out from there and ever increasing, with only a handful being "good" while the rest are usually mediocre or worse.

I think the majority of games are mediocre, then and now.

But it's my opinion that Kickstarter incentivizes lots of flashy bits (stretch goals, to me, are anti-design) and artwork which has very little to do with a games staying power. With that said though, Kickstarter helps fund projects and I think there are definitely more games because of it so perhaps more games means more gems in total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitnam wrote:

I think the majority of games are mediocre, then and now.

That's my view. Older games (especially ones that get remakes) have the advantage of having stood the test of time. People have forgotten most of the really bad games that also came out. (TV Wars for example).

That said, I do think there's a case that games are getting worse in certain sub-genres. But the article does a very poor case of making that argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mb
No. They are not getting worse. I've been on BGG and the gaming world a long time, and if you look at my ratings, there are probably an almost even spread of a few games every year being the creme of the crop.

It's just the crop has gotten larger. But the creme is still about the same.

The games are not getting worse, there is just a whole lot more people trying to vie for those coveted top spots every year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolvehunde
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I was thinking the opposite. All the old games I enjoyed are getting new and shiny reprints/remakes overhauls...etc...etc...etc..
and there are a lot of new board game mechanics in the last several years.
Its only getting better for me.

A lot has to do with when you first got into board gaming . I do not see a lot of people gathering around to play Marbles, Pick up Sticks, tiddely winks, Yahtzee and monopoly anymore(enter your boring games here) board games are wonderful now . meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
ct5150 wrote:
It's because the same damn games keep being released, mostly via Kickstarter. Mostly dungeon crawl style games that feature fantasy tropes and/or zombie apocalypse. They're the same type of game, with the same type of modified dice rolls for skill checks, with the same type of miniatures, with the same type of story, with the same types of characters, blah blah blah...

Sure the story details, character attributes & names, skill & power names, and mini sculpts are slightly different. But slightly, it seems enough to make a new game different enough that it needs to exist. Pish posh! Just more of the same old, same old being rehashed and reserved as if it were a totally new entree. I know that fast food chili is just the leftover burgers, chopped up and added to the pot. But they don't try to serve it a million different ways, in slightly different packaging, and pretend it's something else by giving it a different name. Enough already! The Pachisi/Trouble/Sorry game model has already been beaten to death. Less chili, more fish sandwiches.

It's because the same damn games keep being released, mostly via publishers. Mostly worker placement and area control style games that feature historical tropes and/or pasted on themes. They're the same type of game, with the same type of modified placement spots for resource collection, with the same type of workers, with the same type of resources, with the same types of victory point goals, blah blah blah...

Oversimplification argument is not very effected. Use a revive and try again.

Mechanics are almost always different for most games. Like I said, you don't have to settle on the most popular game (be it dungeon crawler or otherwise), you can find the PERFECT one for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
Meeple1 wrote:
Every year there will be some good games and lots of average games and some absolute turds. It's just the way it is, things will never change.

Ray (wants to strangle Pete )

Oh no. Now I can't help but read Pete's posts as delivered by Peter Venkman. Not the variable sig, though; Carl Spackler takes over for those for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ct5150 wrote:

Over the last couple months, I've Kickstarted:

Butterfly Garden
Masmora
Near and Far
Yokohama
Saloon Tycoon
Vikings Gone Wild
Campaign Trail
Anachrony
Outlive
Dark Souls
Twist of Fate Card Game
March of the Ants
Government Worker The Card Game
Santorini
Pursuit of Happiness
Overlords of Infamy
Sans Allies

Only two of those fit your description, so I'm not seeing the same thing you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the questions in the headlines of clickbaity articles usually be answered with "no"? Yes, they can. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
getting a game older than a decade on the table is met with grunts of "oh, no". The reason is simple : this is the Golden Age of boardgames.

Alternatively, the reason is your friends and you are caught on a consumerist treadmill that we here like to call Cult of the New.

Seriously, if your reaction to playing T&E, Can't Stop, Ra, Acquire, Ricochet Robots, Puerto Rico, and many others is "oh, no", then you're playing games wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Newhausen
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The article uses the Geek rating (which is loaded with hundreds of dummy 5.5 ratings), defines a 5.5 game as "bad", then says games are getting worse because newer games tend to have have ratings closer to 5.5 than old games.

It's bordering on a tautology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes they are, hanging around on street corners mugging passers by and generally leaving chewing gun on the bed post overnight.

I say crucifixion is too good for em, what wither their higher production standards and fiveplayerness. I say send em to a playschool and then they will find out what being a real boardgamne is all about.

Signed

Angry of Mayfair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:
getting a game older than a decade on the table is met with grunts of "oh, no". The reason is simple : this is the Golden Age of boardgames.

Alternatively, the reason is your friends and you are caught on a consumerist treadmill that we here like to call Cult of the New.

Seriously, if your reaction to playing T&E, Can't Stop, Ra, Acquire, Ricochet Robots, Puerto Rico, and many others is "oh, no", then you're playing games wrong.

My reaction to playing Puerto Rico, even when it was new, has always been "oh, no".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KBizzle wrote:
I don't know if this has been posted yet. Sorry if it's a re-post

http://www.bestplay.co/board-games-getting-worse/

Do you need some sort of special glasses to view that website? I just get a blank page, both on my PC and on my phone.

Or did the traffic from the thread take down his server?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.