Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't want to type up a full session report, but our last couple turns were pretty amazing last night. It was my second game and the other two players' first.

I was playing Saxony vs the Crimean and Nordic factions. I was able to speed rush the factory, maintain control all game by building and camping two mechs on the middle, and I had 5 of 6 stars placed. Crimea was in second with only two stars on the board.

I had exactly two combat cards and 7 power. My opponents were at or near the end of the power track.

The Nordic faction was in position to skim across a lake using their speed bonus and assault the factory with two mechs. Crimea was turtled and maintaining a coin/resource engine like a redneck with a muscle car.

Needing only one more star, and able to get it via combat, I figured I would attack Crimea since there was a space I could reach with my other two mechs that put him at a disadvantage with a solo mech. Even if he bet 7 on the power wheel and played a power 5 card, the best he could do was tie my bet of 7 on the wheel combined with my two cards of 2 & 3.

Crimea took his turn and built a mech. I was more focused on where he would deploy it, so it didn't really register when he muttered "scout ability" as he placed it in a spot that didn't interfere with my plans.

I then placed my pawn on movement, moved my two mechs into combat against his single mech. And then he took one of my combat cards. It was the 3. Final results were Crimea 10 vs Saxony 9.

With my power wiped out and having only one combat card, the Nordic Kingdom swooped into the center factory space and assaulted the 2 mechs I had left there.

In one turn all of my mechs returned to the home base and I lost the factory as well as all my power. I rushed the popularity track over the next few turns but it was too late. I came in dead last as the other factions were able to place more stars and gain more popularity before I was able to end the game.

What a brutal mistake. Had I realized what Scout did I could have camped for two more turns, gained another card, etc. Very fun. Everyone had a great time and enjoyed the game. I'm glad Crimea won as he was really overwhelmed with the game's rules and mechanics at the beginning, even having watched the Watch it Played Video. But he had the best engine out of all of us and was sitting on a pile of coins even before final scoring.

Combat played a central role in our game. I gained my two combat stars early, and was able to control the center of the board as well as some of the tunnels through military might. It's a strategy I'll be using again. I've been reading how there's a lack of combat in peoples' games, but we didn't find this to be the case. Choosing when to pick your battles is an important part of the game for sure. Good times .

[edit] A revelation that besmirches the story a bit: the combat I initiated (and lost due to the scout ability) occurred on a tunnel space. I neglected to realize that my opponent's power should have been -2, therefore I actually won, and the game should have been over.

Oh well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sound like an exciting session. Glad you enjoyed it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lukeheineman99 wrote:
when he muttered "scout ability"
Well, at least you recognize the exact moment where it all started going horribly, horribly wrong. laugh

Good report! I love seeing games like this, where one pivotal decision completely and utterly changes the landscape of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like great fun!

Feeling confident, I moved in to attack 2 of my daughter's mechs one time. I had 2 mechs as well. I just didn't anticipate her playing 2 combat cards that were both 5 value. My mechs went limping back to my home base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe doesn't always end with tight finishes like that, but I really enjoy hearing about them when it does. Thanks for the writeup, Luke!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Cockrell
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this belongs in the "sessions" forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great story! It will serve as a nice cautionary tale. It also shows how complex the combat can be--there is a lot to consider outside of simply "I have X power and Y card(s), so I can beat Z for sure." You have to think about the post-combat situation carefully and who may be lurking nearby to swoop in and capitalize, like what happened in your game. That was well-played by the Nords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodzilla68 wrote:
I think this belongs in the "sessions" forum.

I didn't choose that because the write up just covers the last couple turns. Not sure how to move it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Silly question, but I don't have my game in front of me to check and The SMG box is blocked at work - why the -2 on the tunnel space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
cschrad1 wrote:
Silly question, but I don't have my game in front of me to check and The SMG box is blocked at work - why the -2 on the tunnel space?

Saxony has a Mech ability that makes the opponent lose 2 power at the start of combat on a tunnel space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weasel47 wrote:
Saxony has a Mech ability that makes the opponent lose 2 power at the start of combat on a tunnel space.

Ahh! I don't have the mech abilities memorized yet..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.