Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!
We tried this scenario 3 times and failed (normal mode). Each time because the fire spreads, and because fire melts ice in it's room and adjacent room. Random movement do not help but that does not seem to be the major issue. Even with a Chill staff we did not make it... We also failed trying to use water to douse fires...
Did any of you succeed ? Did you encounter difficulties ? Do you remember how you won ?

Many thanks to you all !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire only melts ice when it's adjoining, not adjacent.

(See also this discussion.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes adjoining I agree. So did you succeed ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The scenario's been won in playtesting. The most successful groups found ways to manage rather than remove the fire (If it's removed it'll only come back on a random spot potentially wrecking turns of work).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
x_equals_speed wrote:
The scenario's been won in playtesting. The most successful groups found ways to manage rather than remove the fire (If it's removed it'll only come back on a random spot potentially wrecking turns of work).

I would love to know how they did that... Because between the random spells (except chill) and the random disasters that affect movement (so rooms change all the time and hop presto the fire is next to a ice...) or add fires and modify elements, one room that you cannot access (lost room unless you have the one spell), rooms where you cannot put ice because of you cannot put it all around the mana crystal we never went above 8 pinned rooms...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Working out how to do things is part of the game so I'll spoiler tag the two most decisive approaches.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
They arranged the academy (through initial switches and careful use of the special rules) so that they had this setup

XXAB
XXCD
XXXX
XXXX

C was the mana crystal, D was the lost room, A and B can be anything. When the first fire started they moved it to B using the Workshop. Then they created water in A. This meant that the fire couldn't spread, but also when further disaster cards were drawn that created fire they didn't because there was already a threatening fire (as it was connected to the mana crystal even if the water stopped it spreading that way.

They then left those rooms never to return and that left them free to ice up the Xs without having to worry about fire or surrounding the mana crystal. They heavily used the workshop here too, placing ice where was convenient and moving it into position, rather than trying to run to the right place and shuffling the academy in the process.

Another group took an approach that is hinted at in the rules for "Hard mode". They cast every first level spell and then bound all of them *except* chill. This meant that when they made progress there was not a "bound spell that generates ice tokens". However they knew where Chill was and it was a consistent combination of glyphs so they were able to make a couple of staff of Chill and be able to drop ice as a move action with impunity and didn't need to explore the spell grid past the first level - that left them with a lot of actions free to neutralise or moderate other threats while covering the board in ice.

Neither of these groups had to contend with a disaster that swapped room locations, but if you're icing systematically you shouldn't have too many problems with it since the "pinned" condition that ice gives in the special rules prevents an ice room from being moved, so you can ice in an order that means you'll only lose two ice to a teleport even in the worst case scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah...
That raises a rules question for me.
How many switches do we have the right to do during the setup ?
I did not find this even though I looked for it.
For now we play as is, using the internal gameplay mechanics to manipulate the rooms.

Many thanks your answers are great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, happy to share, but I think I might stay out of strategy help threads after this. If I tell people the best solutions playtesters found all over the place I might not get to see any new ones

During setup you get three shifts, each one allows you to either rotate a room 90 degrees or to switch two adjacent rooms (without rotating them). You do this after placing the initial glyph sources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
x_equals_speed wrote:
No problem, happy to share, but I think I might stay out of strategy help threads after this. If I tell people the best solutions playtesters found all over the place I might not get to see any new ones

During setup you get three shifts, each one allows you to either rotate a room 90 degrees or to switch two adjacent rooms (without rotating them). You do this after placing the initial glyph sources.

That is why some scenarios were so hard...
We did not find this info in the rules. Things are going to be simplet for us now. Thanks!
Do not worry we will first symply apply the rules and then apply the strategies we already tried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.