Subject: Life-style choice clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip T
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm wondering about life-style choice karma upgrade.

When you defeat an obstacle that matches your main role color, its nuyen total increases by 1.

Is the "you" referred to the individual or the group meaning that all obstacles of one colour are worth one more, or only when I finish of an obstacle.

Reading this guide https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234006/four-roles-shadowru... for playing the different roles it recommends for the face that is a support roll to use this karma upgrade but as the face it's unlikely he'll kill off anything much less a red obstacle.

But reading how others interpret the upgrade, yet still ambiguous it seem to lean towards me as the individual defeat an obstacle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule book pg 27:
Quote:
You: In card text, the current runner.

So yes, if you're playing the Face and kill a red obstacle, it's value is increased by 1.

And I kill stuff as the Face all of the time. When I first started playing it was my least favorite class, but since nobody else ever wanted to play it either, I was always the nice guy who got stuck with it. Now I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is that the Face needs to buy some other color cards to be truly effective. If you're running a pure red deck, then yes you'll most likely only be a support character. But there's nothing wrong with buying a Mono Whip and a few other non-red cards to increase your damage output. And Coordinated Attack can let your Mage or Samurai put big damage on a target leaving you to finish off the final level and get the reward.

The other big reason to buy some non-red cards is b/c that makes Press the Advantage work better.

Speaking of the Mage and Street Sam, 2 of my favorite cards to buy as the Face are the Sniper Rifle and Lightning Bolt, b/c they are huge in helping me overcome obstacles that have a large gray level. Yes, generally speaking those two cards are best left for those other classes to buy, but more times than not it's better for the Face to buy them from a tactical stand point. Provided that my teammates are OK with me buying those cards, I go for them every time. Especially when I can use Negotiation to buy them dirt cheap. (And yes buying Lightning Bolt is tricky since you need to have played you lone Mana card before you can buy it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Simpson
msg tools
davro33 wrote:

Speaking of the Mage and Street Sam, 2 of my favorite cards to buy as the Face are the Sniper Rifle and Lightning Bolt, b/c they are huge in helping me overcome obstacles that have a large gray level. Yes, generally speaking those two cards are best left for those other classes to buy, but more times than not it's better for the Face to buy them from a tactical stand point. Provided that my teammates are OK with me buying those cards, I go for them every time. Especially when I can use Negotiation to buy them dirt cheap. (And yes buying Lightning Bolt is tricky since you need to have played you lone Mana card before you can buy it.)

Negotiate doesn't give a discount on Lightning Bolt or Sniper Rifle unless played as an assist; the discount is only for purchasing Skill (aka Red) cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Sanders
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MrPyro wrote:

Negotiate doesn't give a discount on Lightning Bolt or Sniper Rifle unless played as an assist; the discount is only for purchasing Skill (aka Red) cards.

exactly. I play the face in our team and I love it. especially because it has two very different gamestyles - either build a red deck which will grow very quickly using Negotiation or a very diverse deck hitting huge blows with Press the Advantage, giving me two variants and game feels with the same familiar cards.

plus, I never felt that I finished off less obstacles than the others. or at least that less obstacles were finished off due to my actions. saying that - perhaps I would stretch that upgrade just a bit to include those times another player gave the final blow as part of my own combo (e.g. using Hero Move or Coordinated Attack) since their damage is technically part of my own action, plus it does reflect the spirit of the face role imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrPyro wrote:

You know, I even knew that. I guess at some point I got so used to letting others use it to buy their cards that I forgot and started using it myself to buy whatever cards I wanted. blush whistle wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.