Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've owned Agricola for a long time...probably first edition. I had pulled Taster out of play because it was too strong.

Whenever another player is the starting player, you can pay them 1 food at the start of the round and be the first to place a family member. After that, play starts with the starting player as usual.

Then I had read some errata saying that the cost should go from 1 food to 2 food. So I made the change to the card (Rev 2) and back into the deck it went. Taster v2 finally made its first appearance in my last game. It still feels really strong...even for 2 food.

My question is: Do most of you guys remove it from play even with the new (2) food cost?

If so, is there yet more errata out there to try to fix it again (Rev 3)? Maybe only allow it to be used thrice, or up the cost to 3 food, or lessen the change in order of play somehow?

Or maybe it just needs to be pulled from play altogether?

The only other cards (EIKZ decks) I pull are Maypole (dexterity) and Mail Coach Driver (changes the game too much). I had pulled Wet Nurse, but I've seen it lose on more than one occasion...back in it went. Taster though...it jacks with turn order too much I think...changing the game. Perhaps it just needs to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My problem with the corrected Taster isn't that it's overly powerful, it's just that it's too disruptive.

The presence of Taster in the game diminishes the value of the SP space, which in turn diminishes the value of minor improvements generally, and just overall makes it hard to have a strategy. It's just not fun to have it in the game.

It's similar to Opinion Leader in that way. It's not always "too powerful" exactly, but it gives it's owner a tremendous amount of flexibility and puts the other players at a strategic disadvantage where they have to operate with less information that the player who played that card.

So we've just removed it. For the most part I'd rather not use the cards that screw with fundamental game mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ayup. When in doubt, kick it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.