Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Nations: Dynasties» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few rule question which not appear in FAQ 1.9 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
zanlin phon
Taiwan
flag msg tools
Hello all:

There are a few questions that i can't find answer in FAQ and rule books:

1 Grand canyon: Does it view great plains as 1 point when there is a building on great plains? Does it view Seberia as 2 points (occupy 2 wonder slot) or 1 point?

2 When Japan face "remove advisor or -1 point", can Japan choose removing advisor and no effect afterwards or Japan must -1 point?

3 Songhai Empire: For example 1 : there are 3 countries: Rome, Mali, and Japan. The strength: 2 1 3. Will Rome -3 food or there is no effect in this famine phase? For exmaple 2 : The strength: 2 2 3. Will Rome -3 food or there is no effect in this famine phase?

4 Abbasid Caliphate:
In FAQ:When another player buys a Golden Age card, you may buy VP as though you had bought that card regardless of what the
other player chooses.

So if another player buy a Golden Age card and Arabs pays resource, then
4-1 Carolus Linneaus: +1 point apply?
4-2 Sejong the Great: +2 stone apply?
4-3 Event: All Most bought golden age +4 cooks apply?


5 Roman Republic: Can Rome take worker from private one? From Archimedes for example.

6 Antikythera Mechanism: When it is bought in the third round(age II), should the player pick cards from age II or age III? (What does next age mean?)

thx
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Maxime Tremblay
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
zanlinphon wrote:
Hello all:

There are a few questions that i can't find answer in FAQ and rule books:

1 Grand canyon: Does it view great plains as 1 point when there is a building on great plains? Does it view Seberia as 2 points (occupy 2 wonder slot) or 1 point?

2 When Japan face "remove advisor or -1 point", can Japan choose removing advisor and no effect afterwards or Japan must -1 point?

3 Songhai Empire: For example 1 : there are 3 countries: Rome, Mali, and Japan. The strength: 2 1 3. Will Rome -3 food or there is no effect in this famine phase? For exmaple 2 : The strength: 2 2 3. Will Rome -3 food or there is no effect in this famine phase?

4 Carolus Linneaus: When Arabs owns the card and play dynasty :Abbasid Caliphate, Will Arabs gains extra 1 point by using ability of Abbasid Caliphate?

5 Roman Republic: Can Rome take worker from private one? From Archimedes for example.

6 Antikythera Mechanism: When it is bought in the third round(age II), should the player pick cards from age II or age III? (What does next age mean?)

thx


Great questions! I'd like to hear official answers as well. Here's a few assumptions (with explanations) I have:

1- I feel like The Great plains don't disappear because something is "built" on it and Siberia is just one wonder regardless of its size. So I think it's fair to assume it's 1 point for each.

2- Wording is definitely the weakest point of Nations because of the tiny cards. You could read it as "If you cannot remove an advisor, lose one point" or "Choose one: Remove advisor or lose 1 point". We always read it as "choose", but who knows if we are right?

Either way, I'm 99.9% sure Japan loses a point. If other Nations that have no advisors can't chose to remove their advisor when they have none to remove, neither can Japan.

3, 4- I don't remember what those are, sorry.

5- I doubt very much that you can discard it for the same reason you can't hire it: it's private.

6- It happened to us once, and we picked from Age 3. If they wanted it to be from Age 2, they'd simply write "Age 2" instead of "Next Age", since it's an Age 1 card.

Needless to say, the player who bought it (me) was extremely disappointed to see a golden age. An Age 3 building in round 3 is bunkers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zanlin phon
Taiwan
flag msg tools
kehmesis wrote:


Great questions! I'd like to hear official answers as well. Here's a few assumptions (with explanations) I have:

1- I feel like The Great plains don't disappear because something is "built" on it and Siberia is just one wonder regardless of its size. So I think it's fair to assume it's 1 point for each.

2- Wording is definitely the weakest point of Nations because of the tiny cards. You could read it as "If you cannot remove an advisor, lose one point" or "Choose one: Remove advisor or lose 1 point". We always read it as "choose", but who knows if we are right?

Either way, I'm 99.9% sure Japan loses a point. If other Nations that have no advisors can't chose to remove their advisor when they have none to remove, neither can Japan.

3, 4- I don't remember what those are, sorry.

5- I doubt very much that you can discard it for the same reason you can't hire it: it's private.

6- It happened to us once, and we picked from Age 3. If they wanted it to be from Age 2, they'd simply write "Age 2" instead of "Next Age", since it's an Age 1 card.

Needless to say, the player who bought it (me) was extremely disappointed to see a golden age. An Age 3 building in round 3 is bunkers.


1 So you think great plains adds 0 point to Grand canyon?

2 Agree, very clear.

3 Songhai Empire :
Famine:
Others:
least strength:
-3 food.

4 Carolus Linneaus : Buy golden age , gain point: +1 point.
(In FAQ1.9 : ⅅ Arabs: Abbasid Caliphate: When another player buys a
Golden Age card, you may buy VP as though you had bought that card regardless of what the other player chooses.)

5 I doubt rome can't do so.

6 Agree, but maybe the designer did not print the better word on it.

After all, I am satisfying with the wording of Nations. Nation contains lots of cards but with less unclear wording than I expected. In my culture word, what I ask is just like finding a bone from an egg. Those seldom happens and won't disprove that nations is a good board game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Maxime Tremblay
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
zanlinphon wrote:
kehmesis wrote:


Great questions! I'd like to hear official answers as well. Here's a few assumptions (with explanations) I have:

1- I feel like The Great plains don't disappear because something is "built" on it and Siberia is just one wonder regardless of its size. So I think it's fair to assume it's 1 point for each.

2- Wording is definitely the weakest point of Nations because of the tiny cards. You could read it as "If you cannot remove an advisor, lose one point" or "Choose one: Remove advisor or lose 1 point". We always read it as "choose", but who knows if we are right?

Either way, I'm 99.9% sure Japan loses a point. If other Nations that have no advisors can't chose to remove their advisor when they have none to remove, neither can Japan.

3, 4- I don't remember what those are, sorry.

5- I doubt very much that you can discard it for the same reason you can't hire it: it's private.

6- It happened to us once, and we picked from Age 3. If they wanted it to be from Age 2, they'd simply write "Age 2" instead of "Next Age", since it's an Age 1 card.

Needless to say, the player who bought it (me) was extremely disappointed to see a golden age. An Age 3 building in round 3 is bunkers.


1 So you think great plains adds 0 point to Grand canyon?

2 Agree, very clear.

3 Songhai Empire :
Famine:
Others:
least strength:
-3 food.

4 Carolus Linneaus : Buy golden age , gain point: +1 point.
(In FAQ1.9 : ⅅ Arabs: Abbasid Caliphate: When another player buys a
Golden Age card, you may buy VP as though you had bought that card regardless of what the other player chooses.)

5 I doubt rome can't do so.

6 Agree, but maybe the designer did not print the better word on it.

After all, I am satisfying with the wording of Nations. Nation contains lots of cards but with less unclear wording than I expected. In my culture word, what I ask is just like finding a bone from an egg. Those seldom happens and won't disprove that nations is a good board game.



1- I think it's one point for the Great Plains. It's not replaced by a building, it's still there.

3- Oooh, I see the confusion. Here's how it works. "Famine:" means during famine phase. "Others:" means the following only applies to others. "Least STR:" It only happens if you qualify for least.

The only way to qualify for least is to be least in the game, not among others. So in your first example, Rome is not least. No extra famine. In the 2nd example, Rome is least (equality in least means you are least according to the rules).

4- You have to BUY the golden age (the actual card), not just the point from it. So, no extra point.

5- There's a chance you are right. However, I think it's clear that you cannot interact with private architects that are not yours.

6- Maybe, but I doubt it since there has been no errata on it since the release more than 6 months ago. The wording is correct. It's the next age.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.