GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,284 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Karl Nell
msg tools
Are KGP I counters redundant to those found elsewhere in the ASL system, and if so, where? I know there are registration and coloration problems with the Kampfgruppe Peiper I HASL 2 counters and that some were replaced by KGP II which in turn were replaced in Doomed Battalions; however, I am trying to ascertain whether the totality of unit counters in KGP I are even needed based upon pieces available in other modules. Although a detailed review of the Armoury will answer this, I suspect the answer must be common knowledge to many.

Thanks for the assistance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmb
Most of them are. However, in 1 or 2, there is a unique vehicle or two. The troops I think are just troops (unlike many other HASLs). But this is just from memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There may also be a few unique system counters (like "out of gas") but nothing significant that I can remember.

Why are you asking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Nell
msg tools
I have an opportunity to purchase a copy without the unit counters (but with system counters). Since I have almost all of the Avalon Hill modules (except KGP I), this might be ideal unless KGP I includes unique vehicles in which case it's a deal breaker.

All: Thanks for your input! Would be really helpful to know of any specific KGP I-only units (if any)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After just a quick look it seems that the SPW 251/21 counters are unique to KGP I. There may be more. Check out the pictures of the counter sheets on the images page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There were no particular problems with the KGP I counters, except for the 3x sIG 38(t)M counters which are missing the LGP square. The only new unit counters were the 2x SPW 251/21 counters.

The KGP II counters, on the other hand, had all sorts of printing problems, but that's not relevant to your question.

If you have Festung Budapest then you get most of the new unit counters that were originally included in KGP I and KGP II (but not American counters, obviously). That module contains the SS 8-3-8 squads (originally supplied in KGP II), and 4x SPW 251/21.

All of the other unit counters provided in KGP I were extras to those supplied in Beyond Valor and Yanks. You may find that you don't have enough of them in some scenarios (or the CGs). However, if you have other ASL and ASLSK products, you may be able to make up the shortfall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Nell
msg tools
Very helpful input! Thanks all - particularly Bruce for the additional detail. I don't have FB so I may need to rethink the need for KGP 1 units. Much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very helpful indeed Bruce, thank you!
Any chance, if we ever see a reprint? Maybe combining Peiper I & II ?
just wondering, I missed out on this one unfortunately

best regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Abraxx wrote:
Any chance, if we ever see a reprint? Maybe combining Peiper I & II ?

The odds of a reprint happening are extremely small, I would guess. The vast majority of people who want it already have it; a reprint would be hard-pressed to sell enough to justify the effort of printing it.

Keep in mind that MMP would have none of the original files used to create the product, so the rules and maps would need to be created from scratch. I strongly doubt that they would go to that trouble unless they were confident that copies would fly off the shelves in large numbers once they were done -- which is just not very likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.