United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

We also have a microbadge available for those who enjoy the polls mb.

Poll: The 364th TGIF Poll
1. Before winning the Spiel des Jahres this week, Codenames was already very popular here on BGG.

How many times have you played it?
1-5
6-10
11-15
16-20
21-25
26-30
31-35
36-40
41-45
46-50
51+
2. Since the 2016 stuff is still fairly new, let's jump back a year as well.

Which of 2015's nominees & recommended games for Spiel des Jahres and Kennerspiel des Jahres have you played/enjoyed?

**Apologies for leaving out Kinderspiel des Jahres, but the list was getting long, and I know very few BGG members will have played or even heard of most of them**
  Played and Like Played and Indifferent Played and Dislike Not Played Willing To Not Played Don't Want To Don't Know It or Don't Care About It
Colt Express
Machi Koro
The Game
Cacao
Loony Quest
Patchwork
Abraca...what?
UGO!
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Broom Service
Elysium
Orléans
Fields of Arle
The Voyages of Marco Polo
Deus
3. What changes would you like to see to the format that SdJ has been using for the last 6 years?

FYI: They have 3 categories (Game, Connoisseur Game, and Kids Game). Then they nominate 3 games in each of those categories (and recommend some others.) Finally, they select 1 winner for each category.

[Check all that apply]
I wish there were more categories
I wish there were less categories
I wish there were more nominees
I wish there were less nominees
I wish they would recommend more games
I wish they would recommend less games
Change none of this, they've got the format right
      338 answers
Poll created by Blott

4. Of all the games that have won the Spiel des Jahres (you can find a full list here,) which game do you think most accurately reflects your gaming taste? Why? [Note: I'm not necessarily talking about which game is your favorite, but which would come the closest to telling someone "these are the kind of games I like"?]

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I really need to answer number 4"

El Grande

But there have been many decent tattles in years past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal (1999)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1 I've not played codenames yet, but I'd like to.

2 I've only played Colt Express and Machi Koro, both of which I enjoyed. I have no desire to play Werewolf, but would try most of the others.

3 I don't really feel they need more categories or nominees.. I like that they added kids game and Connoisseur game to the lineup.

4 Looking at the list, there are so many great games... I think, although Ticket to Ride is traditionally the 'gateway' game, probably Alhambra or Elfenland would be my pick as representative of the hobby.

PS congrats to Vlaada on getting his first SDJ... I've been a fan since Galaxy Trucker, Space Alert and Dungeon Lords. I even bought Bunny Bunny Moose Moose!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The SdJs are great! They don't need to change a thing. They are the only award I pay attention to. In the immortal words of the great poet Prince, nothing compares. No nothing compares, to you.

The game that really exemplifies me would be Hanabi. Quick to play, easy to learn, deep enough that you can play hundreds of times. Innovative, brilliant design. It captures both the emotional part of me in terms of fun. The intellectual part of me that appreciates how the fame functions. Heck, when I play with the German Deluxe version, it also tickles the physical part of me. Clackity clack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's El Grande for me also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
4. Of all the games that have won the Spiel des Jahres (you can find a full list here,) which game do you think most accurately reflects your gaming taste? Why? [Note: I'm not necessarily talking about which game is your favorite, but which would come the closest to telling someone "these are the kind of games I like"?]

Tikal
Classic Euro with challenging strategy, multiple paths to victory, and also exemplifies boardgames as a marriage of art and functionality.

Runner-up:
El Grande
I'll never get tired of thinking about strategy in this one, it's an "evergreen" - wonderfully balanced ruleset, with a well-done arc to the game flow, building in a crescendo from just a few cubes on the board at the beginning.

Short-listed:
Carcassonne
Kingdom Builder

(The latter two reflecting my love of abstracts, integrated nicely into engaging thematic motifs...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It gets a bit of flack these days, but I think Catan is still a good representative of hobby gaming in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Codenames over 100 times since I first heard of it at GENCON last year. Great game easy to teach and I have yet to find a person that doesn't like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few of the winners/nominees and more of the recommended list. However, I don't think any of the winners (that I'm familiar with) represent my gaming tastes well. Some of the recommendations do (e.g. Castles of Burgundy, Hansa Teutonica).

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Just once so far, but I own it now so that number should go up.

2 - I played Colt Express a few times, and I'm indifferent, leaning towards disliking it. Machi Koro I've played a few times as well, and I like that one. Only one play of The Game, but I really liked it a lot. I haven't played any of the others and don't know much about them, but I'd gladly try them out.

3 - I don't understand the point of a dividing line for "nominated" and "recommended" games. I wish they'd drop the recommended thing, even if that means they're all nominated. The 3 categories works perfectly in my opinion.

4 - Just because I like to be different, I'm going to pick a game I don't think anyone else will say. It's definitely not my favorite SdJ game, but it reflects a lot of what I like in board games, and that is...Heimlich & Co. Let me explain:

1. It is light and fairly easy to teach - something I look for in games.
2. It is flexible and can handle a relatively large number of players - I play with all different sized groups.
3. It has hidden roles/goals - a game mechanism that I adore.
4. It calls for deduction and logical problem-solving - again mechanisms I love.
5. It involves die-rolling - a random element is almost essential for me to enjoy a game and dice are my favorite randomizers.
6. It has big wooden pieces - cool components are always a treat.
7. It has a relatively short play time - we usually play things that don't take too long.
8. It has a beginner game and an advanced variant - this allows me to step new players into the full game slowly.

Sure, there are SdJ games that have some of my other favorite mechanisms (cooperative play, tile-laying, etc.) but most of them just have one or two aspects that reflect my taste. Heimlich nails a whole slew of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
For me none of the SdJ games really provides an accurate model of my gaming tastes. Dominion is the closest fit of the SdJ I've played to having what I like in games. I like to build and to build an engine. Maybe there's another on the list that has that, but if so, I don't know that game.

Railways of the World, Steam, Carson City, Kingdom of Solomon, Concordia and The Capitals reflect my gaming tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
I don't understand the point of a dividing line for "nominated" and "recommended" games. I wish they'd drop the recommended thing, even if that means they're all nominated.

They used to only have recommended and winner. I think they brought in the idea of nominations to give it some kind of buildup (by announcing them ahead of time). However, there were many games that were clearly unsuitable to win an SdJ, or even to be nominated. I think for this they kept recommended, so they could at least mention noteworthy games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

El Grande.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
I have a particular set of skills. They mostly involve polling.
mbmbmbmbmb
SdJ games are more simple than I generally like, although I do enjoy some of them. Of all the ones there I guess Kingdom Builder comes the closest to what I like, combining cards with board play, but it's actually more abstract than I usually like.

I thought Codenames was a great little game. I wouldn't want to play it too much but it's cool for non gamers without having gamers feel like they're wasting their time. A hard thing to achieve.

I'm surprised One Night Ultimate Werewolf has so much hate. I'm not a party gamer but I really enjoyed the one time I played it (2 games). I guess some people just hate social party games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
Blott wrote:
I don't understand the point of a dividing line for "nominated" and "recommended" games. I wish they'd drop the recommended thing, even if that means they're all nominated.

They used to only have recommended and winner. I think they brought in the idea of nominations to give it some kind of buildup (by announcing them ahead of time). However, there were many games that were clearly unsuitable to win an SdJ, or even to be nominated. I think for this they kept recommended, so they could at least mention noteworthy games.

So, it's more like Nominee / Finalist / Winner? That is, recommended games were nominees judged not not suitable as SdJ winners--they didn't meet SdJ's promotional goals or something--even though they might be the best game of the bunch?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4. Dominion
I love card synergies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
I'm surprised One Night Ultimate Werewolf has so much hate. I'm not a party gamer but I really enjoyed the one time I played it (2 games). I guess some people just hate social party games?

Eh. I think I do. Celebrities is a game I rank a ten. That's both social and a party game. ONUW is just not a game I found very fun. A few words get said, then we look at the time and realize there is time left but no one really has anything else to say, so someone meekly suggests that we just do the pointing right away, and then some lose and some win. It doesn't help that the game takes longer to explain how to play than to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

It's not hate. If you've played or even had explained any Werewolf or similar game, you know everything you need to about ONUW. The game has one dominant mechanic, and if you don't like that mechanic, it's pointless to try this or that version of Werewolf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
chearns wrote:
Blott wrote:

So, it's more like Nominee / Finalist / Winner? That is, recommended games were nominees judged not not suitable as SdJ winners--they didn't meet SdJ's promotional goals or something--even though they might be the best game of the bunch?

No, sometimes they were nifty games that lacked that oomph. Some times they were too complicated.

They are all essentially flawed games (for the criteria of this award), but which have enough positive to them that they still deserve recognition.

As they don't match up with the criteria, they are not nominees at all.

Fields of Arle is a good example. It is far too complicated, fiddly, and long for the KennerSdJ (plus, it is only for one or two players), but it was still worthy of being recognized as a good game. So, not a nominee, as it doesn't come close to qualifying for the award, but worthy of recognition.

EDIT - There is no such thing as best game of the bunch. There is just game that best matches criteria. If I have to choose between Candyland and Through the Desert. Through the Desert is the best game to play with my partner. Candyland is the best game to play with my three year old nephew. Which one is the best game is entirely dependent on the criteria against which it is being judged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
I have a particular set of skills. They mostly involve polling.
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
skutsch wrote:

Eh. I think I do. Celebrities is a game I rank a ten. That's both social and a party game. ONUW is just not a game I found very fun. A few words get said, then we look at the time and realize there is time left but no one really has anything else to say, so someone meekly suggests that we just do the pointing right away, and then some lose and some win. It doesn't help that the game takes longer to explain how to play than to play.

Huh, that sounds sad.

It makes sense that the game is very player dependent. The time I played there was lots of shouting and accusations, sly innuendo, double thinking, snickering, and then we pointed. It was fun.

It's not a game to play all night, of course. We played it while waiting for our final player to arrive for a 8 player game of something. (What was it? I think it involved Dracula.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Huh, that sounds sad.

It was very sad. But, it happened to me twice with two groups with only partial overlap.

Curiously, I do enjoy plain old play with a deck of cards Werewolf/Mafia. Easy to explain (only three roles) and long enough that people can get into it. Great for parties because eliminated people can wander into another room (most likely the kitchen up here) and hang out while waiting for the next game to start up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slightly Alive
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most accurately reflects my tastes?

Dominion

It's the game that really tipped me over the edge into hobby gaming, and still a favorite. I love the variable setup and the unique puzzle that presents for each game. And it's the first game (of a sadly rather short list) of games that I played and then couldn't stop thinking about what I'd just played for days afterward; it was just such a gut-punch of "this is what games can be."

A note on my answer for the first question: I counted sessions of playing Codenames, but wouldn't be surprised if others counted each round as its own play. For whatever it means, I don't think I've ever played a session of Codenames that's had fewer than three or four times through, so my "6-10" could probably clock in more like 30 games if you're counting each individual round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Never played it. Don't know anyone personally whose played it. Never seen an actual copy of it in real life.

2. I want to try One Night Werewolf (I have One Night Resistance). Of the others I've hear the names of Orléans and The Voyages of Marco Polo but know zero about them. The other games I hadn't heard of.

3. Missing an option for I don't care about them.

4. I like Catan, Qwirkle, and Ticket to Ride. Niagara is OK. I found Carcassonne dry and not very fun. Then again, I'm not really the target audience for this kind of award: mb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
I can't pick one but if I picked two to reflect it would be TtR and El Grande.

I like the controlled chaos in El Grande in games...moves out of nowhere, etc.

Ticket to Ride I like the race factor, how tense it gets, how the players can drive the end of the game.

Those are the two things in games I love.

(Oh yeah, I LOVE Codenames!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.