Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chains that Rust looks more interesting than Mists of Bilehall, but I get the impression this title is a sequel of sorts. Is this the impression others have as well (I'm very new to Descent)?

It strikes me as odd that FFG would do this, if they are sequentially connected (i.e. create interdependencies between expansions). Still, it isn't unheard of either, as the last co-op POD has an interdependency as well.

Anyhoo, this looks neat. Dig the hybrid classes for the heroes, and the enhanced overlord options on display.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, in the Mists of Bilehall rule book, it states (and before Chains of Rust was even officially announced...) that "The Mists of Bilehall expansion campaign can be combined with the Chains that Rust to form a full 2-act campaign"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally would really prefer expansions to riff off of other expansions. FFG would need to make sure this is explained well but terrain, conditions, etc that are introduced in one expansions don't get added to another. It feels too disjointed to me. I'd rather have arcs of expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Spielguy wrote:
I personally would really prefer expansions to riff off of other expansions. FFG would need to make sure this is explained well but terrain, conditions, etc that are introduced in one expansions don't get added to another. It feels too disjointed to me. I'd rather have arcs of expansions.

Yeah, I've always been disappointed that their expansions are so modular. It tends to result in seeing a TON of the core stuff, and a TON of the expansion stuff, but none of the other plethora of things released.

I'm hoping at the very least, the co-op RTL app will start implementing some campaigns that have quests that pull from as much as possible assuming you have told the app you own the relevant products (speaking of terrain tiles mostly here, the app does a wonderful job of integrating all sorts of monsters).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohde8781 wrote:
Yes, in the Mists of Bilehall rule book, it states (and before Chains of Rust was even officially announced...) that "The Mists of Bilehall expansion campaign can be combined with the Chains that Rust to form a full 2-act campaign"

I guess what I'm really asking is in the fine point distinction between can be, and has to be.

For example, could they be played in reverse order?

Seems the Mists of Bilehall box has far less for the buck (mainly appeals based on theme alone, no?). Was there something cool included that I'm missing? I love the undead, so it has me on theme, but Chains looks to offer more that can transcend the campaign (new classes, taints, etc).

Spielguy wrote:

It seems Fantasy Flight's current model is to create generalized categories of potential game effects, and have those rooted firmly in the core game so the expansions can slot in without needing to be called specifically. Conditions in Eldritch Horror are a prime example -- the specific conditions from future expansion can still be called upon by cards in the core game (I assume Descent works this way, but I'm still awaiting my copy). This is a very smart design philosophy, imho, and one I hope Descent 2e benefits from.

I agree with you that expansion integration is cool from a narrative standpoint, but it does kind of suck when mechanical draws exist in a later chapter of a cycle you otherwise have little interest in (i.e. imagine a 5 expansion cycle that was otherwise uninteresting to you, save some classes added in the fourth).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
It seems Fantasy Flight's current model is to create generalized categories of potential game effects, and have those rooted firmly in the core game so the expansions can slot in without needing to be called specifically. Conditions in Eldritch Horror are a prime example -- the specific conditions from future expansion can still be called upon by cards in the core game (I assume Descent works this way, but I'm still awaiting my copy). This is a very smart design philosophy, imho, and one I hope Descent 2e benefits from.

I agree with you that expansion integration is cool from a narrative standpoint, but it does kind of suck when mechanical draws exist in a later chapter of a cycle you otherwise have little interest in (i.e. imagine a 5 expansion cycle that was otherwise uninteresting to you, save some classes added in the fourth).

Yes, Descent is very similar to what you put forth with Eldritch Horror. I don't like it.

Your "little interest scenario" doesn't apply to me. I want arcs, probably about three expansions. It would make for a better narrative and better integration. That I can imagine. For me a significantly better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:

I guess what I'm really asking is in the fine point distinction between can be, and has to be.

Seems the Mists of Bilehall box has far less for the buck (mainly appeals based on theme alone, no?). Was there something cool included that I'm missing? I love the undead, so it has me on theme, but Chains looks to offer more that can transcend the campaign (new classes, taints, etc).

Just after the part in the Mists of Bilehall rule book about the combination of MoB and CTR to a full campaign, it also says that information about how to do this will be included in the Chains That Rust rulebook... so I guess we'll just have to be patient until it's released at GenCon in 2 weeks.

Yes, Chains That Rust has the new hybrid classes, but from what I can tell in the FFG previews, will have no new Lieutenants... will likely just include Act 2 cards for the Mists of Bilehall Lieutenants. Both sets include Tainted cards. Different stuff included in each, but it comes out to be close to the same amount of new material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
Anarchosyn wrote:
[q="Bohde8781"]

Mists of Bilehall is considered for a Act I campaign and The Chains that Rust is Act II. But if you do have the both campaigns I wouldn't say there is anything wrong reversing the order. You definitely have the components to reverse the acts etc.

It might make it a really weird experience though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.