Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all,

i'm playing my first tutorial battle and have a question about this situation...

May the Libyan Spearmen (bottom/left) and Roman Triari (center/right) engage in melee, or does melee only happen from the front facing? If it only happens in the front facing, can the defender counterattack an attack which comes from a one of its non-front facings?

Insofar as i can tell, facing plays no role in attacking or counter-attacking in melee (i.e. no additional Attack penalty for attacking a different facing, though of course the Defense penalty applies).

:-?

Edit: a related question: the Libyan Spearmen (bottom/left) got us in this situation by moving to engage the Velites (bottom/right). Can they even do so? When coming into corner- and side-only contact with the Triari, are they forced to adapt their position to that card, or may they "scrape by" the Triari to engage the Velites?

:-?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevermind: there's an example of a similar situation on page 25, stating that "... the 2 sections on the right-flank will not be able to attack the other enemy despite being in contact since none of the sections are facing each other from the front."

That leaves the question open about whether a counterattack is possible if the defender is not facing his attacker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
onus game
msg tools
Hi Stephen,

Any unit that is attacked can counterattack, no matter if the attacker comes from the flank or rear) unless stated otherwise (for example, if the attacker uses onrush he goes first.And before the counterattack the defender can die, so no counterattack will happen).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.