Subject: Kickstarter Update rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tanner Martin
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just checking up on game progress over at Kickstarter and saw the most recent update Glenn had posted in the comments. (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/635900857/victory-and-g...)

In a nutshell, it looks like Glenn has decided to drop the game mechanic from the video game and go with a new design. Apparently the video game mechanic wasn't porting over to the boardgame very well (and probably didn't work with the popularly-demanded multiplayer add-on). On the plus side, Glenn projected that the design would be finished in the fall, and that manufacturing and shipping would take 2 additional months. That means we should have this by Christmas.

I'm a bit hesitant about the changes, mainly because I liked the sound of the original design and I don't really understand the new. I love NiE, and I really hope V&G retains the parts of NiE that I like; but the redesign sounds like it may not be drawing as much from NiE. I'm dying to see the proposed rules.

Anyway, here's to V&G! Charge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. This new game will be quite different from Napoleon in Europe.
The design based on the PC game mechanic was quite different as well, but this will be more so.

The main problem with the PC game based design was that it was a very, very long game. Some may like that, but most gamers, even hoary old wargamers these days appreciate a game that can be completed in a few hours rather than a few days.

The new design will accomplish this while also adding much more in the way of interesting decisions and tension, two traits that I believe make for really good games.

It will still have tons of Napoleonic flavor and perhaps even more feel for the events and the flow of the period.

I will have much more in the way of details and substance as soon as the rules and cards are further along and playtested a bit. But I am Very, very pleased and excited about the new direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
I aten't dead yet...
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my good wife conquering a Shopping Mall.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Budley wrote:
...even hoary old wargamers these days appreciate a game that can be completed in a few hours rather than a few days.

Oi you, you talkin' to me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Martin
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budley wrote:
Indeed. This new game will be quite different from Napoleon in Europe.
The design based on the PC game mechanic was quite different as well, but this will be more so.

The main problem with the PC game based design was that it was a very, very long game. Some may like that, but most gamers, even hoary old wargamers these days appreciate a game that can be completed in a few hours rather than a few days.

The new design will accomplish this while also adding much more in the way of interesting decisions and tension, two traits that I believe make for really good games.

It will still have tons of Napoleonic flavor and perhaps even more feel for the events and the flow of the period.

I will have much more in the way of details and substance as soon as the rules and cards are further along and playtested a bit. But I am Very, very pleased and excited about the new direction.

One thing I loved about NiE was the flexibility and number of options that each player had; coming from the A&A series, I found the diplomatic, economic, and tactical/strategic flexibility to be a breath of fresh air (along with the overall more historical feel). But I have to agree that it made for an extremely long game. It is tough to find players for long games, so shortening V&G does make a lot of sense. If you are able to shorten the game while still retain a sufficient degree of player freedom... well, that's going to be a really epic game that will see a lot of use.

Thanks very much for the update, and I look forward to learning more as things progress!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanner

Thank you very much for posting news of this update, it's much appreciated.

Glenn

Thank you very much for posting the update. It has certainly reassured a fairly new and nervous KS backer. Your enthusiasm is inspiring in itself and I very much look forward to the game towards the end of the year (or beginning of next year as delivery to UK may take time).

To show my enthusiasm for your game I have an e-bay bid of £30 riding on a copy of the original NIE, as I write, This is a game I bought and sold many years ago and wish I hadn't.

All the very best and good luck with the launch.
Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.

I promise that you won't be disappointed. Napoleon in Europe was a good game, but was not only very long, but also had a few ambiguous rules.
It was an older style design, more reminiscent of the 1980's or 90's in its design concepts and sensibilities.

Victory & Glory will have the benefit of more modern mechanics and design influences (shorter playtime, less luck, more interesting mechanics, better decisions = victory).

I have really enjoyed games like 1775, Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage, and Twilight Struggle. The clever card play mechanics and more abstracted combat make for very tense, highly entertaining games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.