$15.00
$5.00
Tony McRae
Scotland
Glenrothes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I am looking to add a new dungeon crawler to my collection. I already have a few co-op dungeon crawlers (Temple of Elemental Evil, Space Cadets Away Missions, Fire Team zero etc) as I often play solo.

I am now looking at versus games as I like the competitive element hence the three on my list. I like both sci-fi and fantasy themes.

My thoughts so far are:-

Descent - good components, plenty of expansions, now has a solo variant in terms of an app (Road to Legend)which is a big plus for me when no opponent available, campaign mode.

Star Wars IA - similar to above but no solo mode but has a skirmish mode.

Omega Protocol - Components not as good as the other two, strong scfi theme though (I was an avid Space Hulk player back in the day). Still available but difficult t get hold of as out of print so pricey.

My question is for those that have at least two of these games which one do you prefer/recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lt_Rock wrote:
Star Wars IA - similar to above but no solo mode but has a skirmish mode.

There are solo variants, and there are play by forum campaigns.

RedJak's Automated Imperial Variant (RAIV) V1
RedJak's Automated Emperor Variant V2

Further reading (just to mention a few):
New to these games- should I start with Descent, or get this one?
So, You Want to Level a Character? (comparative reviews of Mice & Mystics, Shadows of Brimstone, and Star Wars: Imperial Assault)
Pick One: SW:IA or Descent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Omega is the deeper and more strategy-focused game of the three. The components are not as great, but it's certainly a better and more interesting system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony McRae
Scotland
Glenrothes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Omega is the deeper and more strategy-focused game of the three. The components are not as great, but it's certainly a better and more interesting system.
t

Yeah that's what I thought. Still on the fence though as IA is cheaper and still has a lot of expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i've played descent and SW:IA.

Of the two, i think that as typical with FFG, they keep iterating on their systems so i think that SW may have a more streamlined rules system, but for me I pref the theme of Descent, plus the addition of the App for handling the overlord that pushes it over the edge for me.

but for one who loves SW, it's a great tactical based skirmish game with all of the FFG and SW bells and whistles. i dont think you can go wrong with either but if you took the theme out of it, SW is likely a more refined game.

-
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I didn't like SW:IA should I completely avoid Descent 2.0? Are they that similar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
If I didn't like SW:IA should I completely avoid Descent 2.0? Are they that similar?

Depends on what the sore points were. Could you elaborate on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
Imho, they're very similar, and since I consider SW:IA to be an improvement over Descent 2.0 ... you'd probably better avoid it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
79strat wrote:
Imho, they're very similar, and since I consider SW:IA to be an improvement over Descent 2.0 ... you'd probably better avoid it.

i would agree. they are quite similar in mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.