Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant Linneberg
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished my second playing of this and I'm definitely not feeling the pro-Soviet bias some have mentioned.

In the first game, the Germans took Leningrad in good time, and then managed to take Moscow late. The Russians took back Moscow on the final turn for the win.

In the second game, the Germans took both Leningrad and Stalingrad early thanks to some lucky dice and lucky weather, and then spent the rest of the game trying to get into Moscow and fighting off counterattacks on Stalingrad. The Russians did have a 12 dice attack on Stalingrad on their final turn, but couldn't roll enough sixes against the Armor unit in the city.

For the Russian, it was frustrating to have Leningrad fall so easily both games. For the German, it was frustrating to have the Russian be able to build units so close to Moscow and Stalingrad in the endgame (I found myself wishing there were a few more rows of hexes beyond Moscow to the east). But I'm sure this is a design feature, not a flaw.

A fun game, though it feels a little dicey when the German can lose on the last half of the last turn on a die roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you.

In my games, Leningrad almost always falls first. Seems historically odd, doesn't it?

I have lunged for Moscow first and been successful. To your point, clear weather is your friend for the Germans.

Never been successful making Stalingrad the first lunge.

But most of my games, that were not Russian wins outright, came down to trying to get a German panzer out of the city for the win.

Does anyone have an issue that the best way to win the game is to put a panzer corps inside an urban area? what??

I still contend that an equal Russian player will beat an equal German one, but there is enough dice to make it interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little odd that Leningrad falls easily and usually first. A little ahistorical, but Hitler was changing focus a lot in the barbarossa campaign. Maybe if he had let his generals maintain focus on Moscow and the North the first year of the campaign, and not turned attention south it may of been different?

In terms of balance, I believe that this version of Holdfast is the best because of the broader front that gives the player(s) the widest range. Both Korea and now N.Africa have narrower terrain to work with. It definitely seems the Russians have an advantage at the end because of shorter supply lines, however they have to defend a much broader front, giving a choice of focus to the Germans first and then the Russians.

A tank or armor unit's best attribute is one of rapid movement to flank or breakthrough or blitz the enemy, but when a tank is dug in it can be difficult to deal with. In a rubble strewn city landscape, bypassing dug in tanks isn't always an option. I think armor in most games has a less powerful defense factor, but for this games simplicity I guess I am not all that bothered by an armor unit holing up in a city or fortress. It is what it is as they say, I do try to keep my armor active for counter strokes if necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Germans laid siege to Leningrad for a year and a half.

I think, if they had not sent so many units south toward the caucusus and Stalingrad, they could've taken Leningrad. As I understand it, they never made a full blown attack on it but try to starve it into submission. so, strictly speaking in terms of historical possibilities, it's not a big deal that Leningrad tends to fall first in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GA Jim wrote:
The Germans laid siege to Leningrad for a year and a half.

I think, if they had not sent so many units south toward the caucusus and Stalingrad, they could've taken Leningrad. As I understand it, they never made a full blown attack on it but try to starve it into submission. so, strictly speaking in terms of historical possibilities, it's not a big deal that Leningrad tends to fall first in the game.

Unfortunately, the system doesn't really accomodate sieges. Units in fortress cities are always in supply and not worried about elimination for being oos or not being able to replace steps, they just have fight off enemy units in combat. The Germans were going to let Manstein take Leningrad but the disaster at Stalingrad took his command south to re-stabilize the front after 6th army was encircled. Wonder what could of been had the axis taken Leningrad..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.