BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: how long should a game night last? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matheus cohen
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hi guys,

i have a bit of a problem. i think all my game nights end way too soon.
and that's maybe me, or it's just that i wanted to play more, i don't know.

but how long does your game nights lasts?

and what is the usual 'routine'?
like 'we play 1-2 fillers to warm and get things ready, and go with a full 3+ hours game/3+ hours in matches of a single game'.

keep in mind, this time around i'm talking about friends-only game nights. where everyone knows everyone for a long time, and are used to be hours or days together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion there is only one good answer: it depends of the schedule of everyone.

So: do you work the morning after ? do you have to catch the last bus ? do you have to be quiet because someone is trying to sleep in the house ? ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends if people have to work the next day and what time you start. We play from 7.30pm to 11pm on a Tuesday night.

We usually start with a longer game and then fill with shorter games as the venue closes at 11pm and we try to avoid having to abandon games.

Then again tomorrow is a games day which will start at 10am and run into the evening, although I will have to leave earlier due to another commitment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matheus cohen
Brazil
flag msg tools
Xahendir wrote:
In my opinion there is only one good answer: it depends of the schedule of everyone.

So: do you work the morning after ? do you have to catch the last bus ? do you have to be quiet because someone is trying to sleep in the house ? ....

everyone has a car, in weekends(and none of us work on weekends), and all young 20-24 years old, we are either single or the girlfriends(or 1 wife) actually likes to play as well and is there.

no problem with noise either.

and no problem with 'not being used to be here'(not sure what is the word for that in english)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Until I win a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case I would from 20h to up to 2-3h, most of the time it lasts 4-5 h.

Too short I have the feeling that the "trip" isn't worth and too long we get tired, we play poorly and in the end we enjoy the play a lot less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game night should last as long as is needed for the group to play the games they want to play, within the time that everyone is available (early enough that whoever needs to get up the next morning can do so).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Currently working on Perdition's Mouth Board game content
badge
Imperial Assault - Imperial Player
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on a game you play. We usually play one so we start at 9 pm and end at 12 - 3 AM totally exhausted. But we are much older with small children. If you feel the game night is too short for you (you are fairly young with no children), add some other game, ideally with lower complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
Until Lannister takes Kings Landing, and six other strongholds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience is that 5 hours is the minimum, unless you play a specific game, which may require more or less time. But most game groups play multiple games, and 2 plays of a 2-hour game is common. Adjusting for people showing up late, a break for a meal or snacks, bathroom time, etc., 5 hours is usually just enough to get two of those plays. And if you don't have about 5 hours, you can't play any of the 3-4 hour games unless everyone already knows how and rushes.

Pete (would like to play longer, but if he had less than 5 hours, he'd probably just skip that week's games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
My game nights usually last around 4 days. It starts Wednesday morning the week before Thanksgiving with a really, really long line then winds up Saturday evening with a big raffle... then I wait 51.5 weeks for the next game night.Doing the math I put that at about 84 hours.

On the very rare occasions I actually get to go to a game night that is not BGG.CON I want it to last as long as I can stay awake... that usually ends up being about 12 hours.

In reality, 2-3 hours would be great if I could do it more consistently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Until I win a game.

Most people just don't have that kind of time....

Ohhhhh SNAP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bare minimum of 2.5 hours up to 6 hours.

More than that is tough with my group (all married and most of us have kids), so someone always has something the next morning, shows up late, etc.

I think 4-5 hours is the sweet spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
My group's game days occur only 4 or 5 times/year. They start on Saturday morning at 9:00 a.m. and end "whenever" (usually, 11 p.m. or later). People come and go throughout the day, so for some people it might only go on for 2 or 3 hours. For others it will be 12 hours or more. I always get there at 9 a.m. and I usually stay until 6 or 7 p.m. There really isn't any pattern to they types of games we play. Although, around 5 p.m. (when the host is preparing the pulled pork that has been in the smoker all day) we usually play something light like King of Tokyo or Liar's Dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If game night ends at all it has ended too soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game night ends too soon if you stop playing after 2 hours of being too tired to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Until I win a game.

Must be hard finding a group with the time to agree to that.

Usually 5-6 hours including dinner time for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
It depends on the prior commitments that the players have concerning family. Usually 6-7 hours on a weekend night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Until I win a game.
Ain't nobody got that kind of time!

My shorter game nights last 6 hours. My longer one lasts 10 hours, although I don't always stay the full time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
skutsch wrote:
Until I win a game.

Most people just don't have that kind of time....

Ohhhhh SNAP!

We keep going. If they leave, then I win by default. Sitting alone. In the dark. Savoring my victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every Friday my group starts at 6:30 and typically does not end before 2:00 am. Not many people have that kind of time though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4-5 hours for my group
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Fight Club, game nights will go on for as long as they have to
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 to 4 hours seems about right for the people I know. If it goes beyond that people just seem to start losing interest or don't play seriously.

Have you tried to arrange perhaps shorter but more frequent game nights? When I used to DM D&D campaigns we were all amped up to play these 12 hour binge marathon sessions on a day we all had off from work, but quickly burned out on it after a couple months. When I reworked the sessions to 1-2 hours after people were off work a couple times it jump started the whole thing and people were asking to add more days to our campaign because they could fit it into their schedules so much easier. We actually ended playing more hours of D&D this way then we ever did with the marathon method.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 days and maybe you might be able to get a couple of turns in TI3. Hehe jk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.