$30.00
$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » WBC

Subject: Comments, Lists, etc posts wanted rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we please have some posts for one of best managed, organized, and scheduled board game conventions (i.e. not just a marketing trade fair with some "open gaming") for actual board gamers please?

A convention that will be starting TOMORROW..
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing like knowing that if I show up at a certain place at a certain time, I will be able to get in the game I want, that it will finish in a reasonable amount of time, and that we'll have a neutral and knowledgeable party around to answer any rules ambiguities that arise.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Statalyzer wrote:
There's nothing like knowing that if I show up at a certain place at a certain time, I will be able to get in the game I want, that it will finish in a reasonable amount of time, and that we'll have a neutral and knowledgeable party around to answer any rules ambiguities that arise.


F'n A. thumbsup

...Which features REAL scheduled tournaments for REAL trophies (attendees loving call the victory plaques "Wood"). There's nothing like testing your gaming skills against the best when there's something on the line - even if it is a one-year title and a hunk of wood you can proudly display on your gaming room wall.

And yes, there is a sizable open-gaming area for the non-competitive types (like all the "marketing trade fairs" have) - but it is the element of competition that truly sets WBC apart (and above IMO) from all others.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you will get more once the convention gets rolling.

Most people are in the packing/prep.scheduling stage right now, I imagine.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to pack about 40 games into a car better suited for about 20. I'm taking an extra kid out this year so space is at a premium.

It's a funny thing about competition, though. Many people see tournaments as just "scheduled open gaming." Indeed, Don encourages everyone to at least give it a try.

So, I try to really monitor my competitive edge...or at least reserve it for red events and final tables (of which I've made one in about 10 years and it was Slapshot. )

I think you have to be wary of being "too" competitive out of the gate...or at least know your events and when such an attitude is appropriate.

You aren't really playing the "best" in the first heats of Ra the Dice Game or King of Tokyo and I find people that really buy into the "tournament" label here can disrupt things in certain events.

I've seen people lose it in early rounds at pretty casual games and it isn't pretty. Just because it says "Tournament" doesn't mean it's filled with super-competitive people who believe something is on the line.

But this certainly depends on the events you enter and how far you get.

Kevin
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just surprised by the general silence and lack of enthusiasm for WBC on BGG compared with the (ridiculously IMO) large amount of it for "sales pitch events" like Gen Con and Origins.

C'mon you *true* board gamers....whip up the hype a bit!! Show everyone that WBC is THE best! surprise

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I played at WBC 2016
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played-

Circus Maximus x 2----Tournament
Kremlin----Tournament
Merchant of Venus x 2----Tournament
Republic of Rome x 3, plus run demo----Tournament
Pax Paramir ~2 (2 half learning games plus 1 real)----Open
Clash of Civilizations----Open
Evolution (with kids in junior room)----Open
Robo Rally----Tournament
Mage Wars Arena 2 demo games with son
Learned Thurn and Taxis

~50 hours gaming, not bad since this left time to swim with kids and watch them play in juniors as well as get enough rest and eat fairly well.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got in a decent amount of both tournament and open gaming.

https://boardgamegeek.com/plays/bygame/user/Marty%20S/subtyp...

For ANGOLA, we have dialed back the play balance a bit after finding the original tweaks tilted the game a little too far towards the MPLA/FAPLA side.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1575010/play-balance-tweaks

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Kyrkos
United States
Sunnyside
New York
flag msg tools
NO MORE MOUNTAINTOP REMOVAL
badge
It was the Police Patrols, snooping into people’s windows. The patrols did not matter however. Only the Thought Police mattered.
mbmbmbmbmb
WBC 2016 Metalist
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
20715
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My photo tour through the hotel:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/212277/touring-seven-spri...
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was interested in attending WBC because I am even local to 7Springs...
But the signup process and club membership was not easy to understand and seemed much more than just the simplicity of GenCon's... just buy a ticket and register...

Maybe its just me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Drummond
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
I was interested in attending WBC because I am even local to 7Springs...
But the signup process and club membership was not easy to understand and seemed much more than just the simplicity of GenCon's... just buy a ticket and register...

Maybe its just me.


I think the big difference is WBC you register as a member of the association (and get convention entry with that). Then there are no other fees to be paid.

By contrast, GenCon has an entry fee and then supplemental fees for most activities.

It may not be laid out as the easiest to understand if you haven't gone through it, but please feel free to PM me next year if you need a hand understanding what you need to do to register and what comes with that.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go to GASP, find me and I'll help you out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ardrummo wrote:
sao123 wrote:
I was interested in attending WBC because I am even local to 7Springs...
But the signup process and club membership was not easy to understand and seemed much more than just the simplicity of GenCon's... just buy a ticket and register...

Maybe its just me.


I think the big difference is WBC you register as a member of the association (and get convention entry with that). Then there are no other fees to be paid.

By contrast, GenCon has an entry fee and then supplemental fees for most activities.

It may not be laid out as the easiest to understand if you haven't gone through it, but please feel free to PM me next year if you need a hand understanding what you need to do to register and what comes with that.


I agree that it's a bit overwhelming but here's the gist: pay once, one price, game til you drop. No tickets, added fees etc.

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally at least I find WBC's way much easier than GenCon . . . actually was just talking to a friend who is up there and he said "There's plenty of tournaments, but all the spots filled up really quick, so I don't get to participate in those."

I'm not trying to invalidate someone's annoyance at the process, I'm just honestly confused as to what the complex part is. 1 - fill out the form. 2 - pay the money. 3 - find games on the schedule. 4 - show up. One thing I appreciated my first time especially was, yeah, I might have to do some searching to figure out the schedule, but once I knew the right time and place, all I had to do was be there and I got to play.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm just honestly confused as to what the complex part is.


I think the complexity may come in the language we use.

We don't actually pay for the WBC directly. We pay a membership to the BPA and admittance to the WBC is included with that BPA membership.

I think many people are used to paying for a convention without any sort of membership attaching to it. If you are just asking, "How do I go to the WBC?" it isn't obvious that General Membership is the basic way to do it.

Tribune and Sustaining can add to the confusion if you don't know what you are looking for at first.

It seems pretty simple now, as Andrew said, but I remember years ago it took me a few readings to make sure I did it right. The notion of membership being the way to attend threw me at first because no other convention I ever went to before did it that way.

I'm not saying it's some arcane puzzle to figure out, but I can understand how someone could be befuddled by membership levels if all they are looking to do is go to a game convention.

Kevin
14 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A "how to attend the WBC" link added highly visible here would help-

http://www.boardgamers.org/wbcindex.html

That link should explain that membership is what gives WBC access and link to "register" page.

the "Register" link on the BPA home page is not the obvious place to go when "WBC" is also a link.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Boil it down to real simple terms.

" You want to go for the entire week ? Buy Tribune Membership" .

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kizer

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As of last year, Sustaining gets you the entire week . . . not sure if that's reverting to the old system next year.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankM wrote:
A "how to attend the WBC" link added highly visible here would help-

http://www.boardgamers.org/wbcindex.html

That link should explain that membership is what gives WBC access and link to "register" page.

the "Register" link on the BPA home page is not the obvious place to go when "WBC" is also a link.


I put something together for you (and others) on that page as a start. On the left there is a red link at the top - apart from the others to make it easier to see. We'll revamp and edit this as we need to.
15 
 Thumb up
6.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It was my life, like all lives, mysterious and irrevocable and sacred. So very close, so very present, so very belonging to me. How wild it was to let it be.
mbmbmbmbmb
sigtaulefty wrote:
FrankM wrote:
A "how to attend the WBC" link added highly visible here would help-

http://www.boardgamers.org/wbcindex.html

That link should explain that membership is what gives WBC access and link to "register" page.

the "Register" link on the BPA home page is not the obvious place to go when "WBC" is also a link.


I put something together for you (and others) on that page as a start. On the left there is a red link at the top - apart from the others to make it easier to see. We'll revamp and edit this as we need to.

Well done, Max.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes that fits the bill nicely.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Neuschwander
United States
Hummelstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bravo Max. With that brief addition, you've brought a level of clarity to the process (especially for new attendees) that has been sorely needed.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Kramer Jr.
United States
Wiconisco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
MY WBC 2016

1st Saturday: Left home, Wiconisco PA at 12:30 taking PA Turnpike to Somerset. Arrived WBC on-site 5:30 and Registered. Patrolled opening events and looked in on Victory in the Pacific demo.

1st Sunday: Victory in the Pacific tournament (3 rounds). I did take a bye in round 2 as I was not feeling well that day.

Monday: Victory in the Pacific round 4, Game Auction check-in, Union Pacific heat 1, Carcassonne heat 1.

Tuesday: Game auction (bought Bobby Lee and Sam Grant for $7 total, sold 7 auction games and 9 auction store items for $113), Atlantic Storm heat 1, Formula Motor Racing heat 1.

Wednesday: Union Pacific heat 3, Formula Motor Racing heat 2, Atlantic Storm heat 2, Can't Stop.

Thursday: War at Sea (5 rounds), Pro Golf (Made the 5 player skins game but won no skins. 5th by tie breaking roll off).

Friday: Union Pacific SF/F (Got in as an attending alternate and finished 2nd), Battleline (My pod had almost the same opponents as last year, randomly drawn, but lost all 3 times this year), Liar's Dice.

2nd Saturday: Tigers in the Mist (1st round only), Dealer area (only purchase a spare copy of GMT's Battleline), Naval War demo (I GM - 4 attending), Naval War Tournament (I GM and did not make the final).

2nd Sunday: Attack Sub (3 rounds) I hope you all get to see the special trophy awarded to the winner. Left Somerset at 1:30 taking US 30 and I 81 home, arrived home before 6:00.

Except for arriving ill for the start of the convention, another wonderful time.

Jim Kramer Jr.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant LaDue
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gilderrules13 wrote:
As of last year, Sustaining gets you the entire week . . . not sure if that's reverting to the old system next year.



They announced that the con is a full nine days going forward, so assume your membership gives you the whole thing unless you hear otherwise (and that would require some real problems that don't exist now I think). I think everyone is safe figuring that we're good for a 9 day con going forward.

There was a *big* crowd there by the first Sunday night. The difference from years past was dramatic.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.