Hide
6 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Odd (counter-thematic?) incentives from starting advancements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil P
msg tools
Looking at the starting advancements/fleet bonuses for the 3 races, they would seem to lead to counter-thematic incentives.

If I was thinking about theme, I'd expect the Klingons to upgrade weapons first and shields last; Federation to go hard on shields, slow on weapons; and Romulans to go heavy on cool advancements while moderately upgrading both weapons and shields.

However, the Klingon starting advancement "6's always hit", seems to incentivize not upgrading weapons at all. If Klingon weapon upgrades are ahead of, equal to, or even only 1 level behind an opponent's shields, then their advancement has no effect. But if the Klingon upgrades shields to a high level, while leaving weapons un-upgraded, then they could become unhittable while still dinging opponents on 6's regardless of their shields.

Federation fleet bonus of re-roll 1's, seems to incentive upgrading weapons to a high level. Re-rolling a 1 is more valuable if a re-roll of 3+ will hit, as opposed to 6+. So it is valuable to have a weapon tech advantage.

Romulan first strike capability would incentivize weapon tech as well, with the goal of removing as many ships as possible before they could strike back. They could leave Shields completely un-upgraded, especially if they develop Advanced Cloaking and can just run from any attack (only to first strike on their own turn).

So the incentives seem to encourage Klingons with max shield tech and no weapons tech; Federation with max weapons tech and all of their ships in combat fleets; and Romulans with max weapons tech.

Of course the need to invade planets and deal with interstellar phenomena moderate this, but it's still kind of weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The reason Klingons get the 6s always hit ability is so that they can invade level-2 and level-3 warp capable civilizations right out of the gate, which other factions can't. And I don't think the Klingon starting advancement is a strong enough incentive to ignore weapon upgrades that it can overcome the benefits of upgrading weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm a bit puzzled you talk about starting advancements but for the federation you take the battle fleet bonus instead?
the federation starting advancement is quite in line with what the federation pursues, namely enrolling planets through diplomacy for which they dont need weapon upgrades, so that +1 bonus to each hegemony roll is very good.

every faction has the battle fleet btw, its a basic fleet for all.

i feel only the klingon starting upgrade is less useful as they can outgrow it quite easily. and when they research cult of kahless it no longer matters what result they hit on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, think about it like this, if Klingons are going to be more aggressive through better weapons, would it be because they have an innate talent for it, or because they paid for the upgrades the hard way?

As the game is now, the Federation will have to work harder and upgrade their weapons to keep pace with the natural effectiveness that Klingons have with weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Klingons seem to be designed to be a combat threat no matter the tech level of your opponents which seem thematic to me.

This is the race that idealises sharp, stabby bits of metal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
In my mind the Klingon starting advancement means that nobody is ever completely safe from a Klingon attack, which I think is very thematic.

As Nova Cat said, game wise it lets them invade all civilizations from the start which is a big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.