Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings Folks,

I been searching the Galaxy (in my new Galaxy Class Star Ship of course) in search for some ST:F pimpage.

I was mainly searching for new improved Data Disc components. The included discs with the game are good, but too small for me as I can easily drop one and forever to find them again. I also asked some on the Geek for their request and they offered some of the suggestions needed to enhance the game.

I asked a plastic company to work on some major pimping for ST:F . They returned with some FANTASTIC pimping indeed!

Here are the results of my request:

These will enhance the gaming experience and add major custom pimping to ST:F.

Please let me know what you think.

Epp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You didn't label the images, but we can figure out what they are...

1. I assume the top image would be the data discs? I think that's a great idea to replace the data discs that come in the box. I was thinking about using the translucent colored crystals you can get from the BGG store, but I like this idea better.
(Though not that anything's really wrong with the discs that come in the box).

2. I assume the 2nd image is the concept to replace the Away Team Tokens? I guess I don't see what needs to be improved upon with the tokens that are in the box other than the fact that they're made of cardboard. Personally, I like the image on the current Away Team tokens.

3. I assume the 3rd image is the concept to replace the faction tokens? The cardboard tokens in the box are again, OK (if you don't use the misprinted reverse sides). But if the concept in the image proves to be brightly printed plastic, then "Yes", I think these be an upgrade for sure!

4. The last image is obvious. I would go for that, for a low cost. Otherwise a D6 (with digits, not pips) works as well, though admittedly flipping a die to a specific side is a tad more fiddly than rotating a dial to the next number!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

You didn't label the images, but we can figure out what they are...

1. I assume the top image would be the data discs? I think that's a great idea to replace the data discs that come in the box. I was thinking about using the translucent colored crystals you can get from the BGG store, but I like this idea better.
(Though not that anything's really wrong with the discs that come in the box).

2. I assume the 2nd image is the concept to replace the Away Team Tokens? I guess I don't see what needs to be improved upon, with the tokens that are in the box other than the fact that they're made of cardboard. Personally, I like the image on the current Away Team tokens.

3. I assume the 3rd image is the concept to replace the faction tokens? The cardboard tokens in the box are again, OK (if you don't use the misprinted reverse sides). But if the concept in the image proves to be brightly printed plastic, then "Yes", I think these be an upgrade for sure!

4. The last image is obvious. I would go for that, for a low cost. Otherwise a D6 (with digits, not pips) works as well, though admittedly flipping a die to a specific side is a tad more fiddly than rotating a dial to the next number!

I agree with you on everything you state here.

My first intention was to only upgrade the Data Tokens. Then, as others chimed in, especially the Turn Count, I kept at it until these upgrades or simply pimpage components worked out.

I too like the Fraction's away team counter with Star Trek photos. Only they are dark and sometimes hard to see. I added those only because they won't add that much to the final cost.

Regarding the Fraction's Ship counters, they were requested by those with misprinted tokens. For me, I'm getting them just cause they are too cool to pass up. I may be crazy, but hell, I'm in deep space anyway...

gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

VonEpp wrote:
Regarding the Fraction's Ship counters, they were requested by those with misprinted tokens. For me, I'm getting them just cause they are too cool to pass up. I may be crazy, but hell, I'm in deep space anyway...

My box has them mis-printed on only one side (i.e., off center), so I just don't use that side! The top side is perfectly centered. But yeah, I'd like the plastic ones a tad better.

BTW, you must be a mathematician or a math teacher... you keep wanting to stick an "r" in "faction"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My "r" key keeps getting in my wray. sigh.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The green away team & faction tokens should be purple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acefury wrote:
The green away team & faction tokens should be purple.

Got it. Changes are made and sent LITKO. Colors should be updated on FINAL copy. This pic doesn't show the purple changes.

NOTE: Check out the "RED SHIRT" injury tokens. Just for those who like to wear RED.

This special order should appear on their website next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hill
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I definitely like the work on the data crystals.

I also was looking for some ways to improve that particular component. Everything else in my box was quality.

I was thinking about going to a store like Michael's to see if they have some art supplies that would fit the ball. Maybe some small glass beads that match the colors needed for the game.

Let me know if anyone else has thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I bought several colors of the translucent plastic crystals from the BGG store. They definitely look like "crystals", for sure. But I imagine a "data" crystal to be flat, so...

Anyway, other than that, the other reason I'm not using them is because they're showing-up in all sorts of games now... becoming too common. I don't like common.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Poulin
United States
Ludlow
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This will be amazing!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received word that my order has been fulfilled and will ship soon. I will then be posting some photos real soon.

Here are the tokens included:
http://www.litko.net/products/ST%3A-Frontiers%2C-Game-Upgrad...

Epp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here some photos of these custom tokens/counters for use with Star Trek: Frontiers:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work.

I think they rushed the game and a little more thought they could have reworked some components and terminology e.g. changed data crystals to data archive and subjugate to interfere or Hack or override or take control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.