Subject: TM Faction Name and Pass Order Forum Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Variable turn order on snellman games is determined by passing and each faction is denoted by a circle with a color and a letter in it as follows:

Acolytes a
Alchemists A
Auren A
Chaos Magicians C
Cultists c
Darklings D
Dragonlords d
Dwarves D
Engineers E
Fakirs F
Giants G
Halflings H
Ice Maidens I
Mermaids M
Nomads N
Riverwalkers R
Shapeshifters s
Swarmlings S
Witches W
Yetis Y

Sometimes the factions picked and pass order unintentionally makes an actual word. Games can be created with 2 to 7 players on snellman. A lot of words can be created from the 20 faction letters. There are also many sentences that can be created as well.

Rules: Generally, the poster making the longest grammatically correct and coherent sentence in English with the faction letters will be the current topic winner, based on the points generated. You are allowed unlimited proper use of punctuation marks to make the sentence as long as possible. All words must be between 2 letters and 7 letters except you are allowed to use the single letter words "a" and "I" with a penalty. You may not use a faction more than once to construct each word. So a word with 3 d's is ok (daddies), but a word with 2 e's is not (seem). Capitalization may be ignored. You may NOT build on a previous poster's sentence (use of more than 75% of the same words), but use of their linked words is permitted.

DO NOT EDIT YOUR POSTS, THOSE WILL BE ELIMINATED FROM CONSIDERATION. The post below will be edited to indicate current winning poster and a list of players with points.

Base points are awarded by the number of letters (not punctuation or spaces) in the sentence including the single letter words. The penalty for a single letter word "a" or "I" is -2 pts which effectively makes "a" or "I" equal to -1 pts. If you can find an actual historical game incidence on snellman where a word in your sentence is shown in a turn order then you gain double points for that word. You must link it in your post (embedded like below or posted separately is ok). If you find it later, you may resubmit your previous selection to gain your double points. You gain 1 bonus point per unique faction used in your sentence (up to a max of 20 bonus points for using all 20 factions).

YOU MUST SCORE YOUR OWN SENTENCE LIKE IN THE EXAMPLE BELOW

Example

Dwarfs die

Dwarves
Witches
Auren
Riverwalkers
Fakirs
Swarmlings

Darklings
Ice Maidens
Engineers

Dwarfs = 6 pts
die = 3 pts * 2 for link = 6 pts
Factions used = 9 pts
This sentence is worth 21 pts.

This is not a particularly nice sentence, but hey, it still counts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Reserved for future use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Reserved for future use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddy whined; his heart did miss Wendy since days.

P.S. I presume we can combine factions even if they could not play in the same game (e.g. "fern"/"nerf" has f and n even though Fakirs and Nomads cannot be in the same game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolster IEM
Antarctica
Connecticut
msg tools
mb
Daddy whined; his heart did die and miss Wendy since days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since many days Daddy warned his grey dwarfs; he said "we may miss grim Wendy if she can find fish in Germany".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seleCT wrote:
Daddy whined; his heart did die and missed Wendy since days.

Remark: I don't find the rule which allows a simple extension of another person's sentence very helpful to promote creativity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
DocCool wrote:
Daddy whined; his heart did miss Wendy since days.

P.S. I presume we can combine factions even if they could not play in the same game (e.g. "fern"/"nerf" has f and n even though Fakirs and Nomads cannot be in the same game).

Good point. Yes, I will allow that. However your sentence is not coherent when adding "since days" to the end of it.

Also everyone needs to score their own sentence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
DocCool wrote:
seleCT wrote:
Daddy whined; his heart did die and missed Wendy since days.

Remark: I don't find the rule which allows a simple extension of another person's sentence very helpful to promote creativity.

I suppose I could quash that and only allow an individual to change their own sentence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
DocCool wrote:
Since many days Daddy warned his grey dwarfs; he said "we may miss grim Wendy if she can find fish in Germany".

Your use of since is grammatically incorrect.
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/grammar/british-grammar/s...

Please fix, resubmit and score it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolster IEM
Antarctica
Connecticut
msg tools
mb
i'm promoting creativity by forcing DocCool to make longer ones, lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolster IEM
Antarctica
Connecticut
msg tools
mb
I am Screaming, He is Screaming, she is screaming, we are screaming for Ice cream, YAY!

Get yer stingy hands away, ye damn, dingy Ice Maiden!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolster IEM
Antarctica
Connecticut
msg tools
mb
Warning: in my dream nary a french man is dead, Mr. Fischer aged many years, and mad, fresh fish chased my shy daddy amid warm, charming wharfs.

links:
my: mermaid yetis = game/3advent04
nary: nomad yeti Rw alch = game/Deflicted001/max-row=420
is: ice, shape = game/Okgreat
shy: swarm half yeti = game/game88473625/max-row=222 (the passed side only)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
DocCool wrote:

Your use of since is grammatically incorrect.
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/grammar/british-grammar/s...

Please fix, resubmit and score it.
Unfortunately, your scoring system is not really clear: is the bonus for the 2nd/3rd/nth word to double/triple/quadruple/... it's value? E.g. "Dwarfs die hard" would be worth 5+6+12+13=36 points?

Anyway here's the sentence:
Daddy warned his grey dwarfs; he said "we may miss grim Wendy if she can find many fishes in Germany".

I'll score it when the rules are clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
It is basically 1 point per letter. The points for a word is doubled if you can link a "show history" to show that word in a snellman game. Bonus points are added when you show the unique factions in your sentence. There is a max of 20 bonus points (show that you used each faction once).

My daddy can die.

This has 13 base points. When I show a link for "die" it doubles the points for "die" only which add 3 points (total 16). When I show the link for My, that doubles the points for My only, which adds 2 more points (total 18).

Now the faction bonus points for this would be 11 points as shown:

Mermaids
Yetis

Dwarves
Acolytes
Dragonlords
Darklings
Y -> yetis used 2nd time, no faction bonus

Chaos Magicians
Auren
Nomads

D -> another D faction used 2nd time, no faction bonus
Ice Maidens
Engineers

This makes the shown sentence worth 29 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
seleCT wrote:
Warning: in my dream nary a french man is dead, Mr. Fischer aged many years, and mad, fresh fish chased my shy daddy amid warm, charming wharfs.

links:
my: mermaid yetis = game/3advent04
nary: nomad yeti Rw alch = game/Deflicted001/max-row=420
is: ice, shape = game/Okgreat
shy: swarm half yeti = game/game88473625/max-row=222 (the passed side only)

LOL! Nice, but this is a comma splice sentence!
https://owl.english.purdue.edu/engagement/2/1/34/

Also please show the full link for the games as shown below or embed it. BBG will auto-hyperlink them for us. Note that "game" and "faction" are interchangable.

Show full link:
http://terra.snellman.net/game/3advent04

Embed:
my

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolster IEM
Antarctica
Connecticut
msg tools
mb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:

Pls correct me if i'm wrong, but it's a list of three ideas that were in my dream about a week ago (using the oxford comma). There's two additional commas for placing in between the multiple adjectives for the fish and wharfs.

Also, pls explain your other link about "Since" that pointed to a latin phrase about Carthage?

full links:
My: http://terra.snellman.net/game/3advent04
nary: http://terra.snellman.net/game/Deflicted001/max-row=420
is: http://terra.snellman.net/game/Okgreat
shy: http://terra.snellman.net/game/game88473625/max-row=222 (the passed side only)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
seleCT wrote:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:

Pls correct me if i'm wrong, but it's a list of three ideas that were in my dream about a week ago (using the oxford comma). There's two additional commas for placing in between the multiple adjectives for the fish and wharfs.

You cannot use oxford (aka serial) commas when each item in the list is actually a complete independent clause.

Your other sentence is also incorrect in this usage.

seleCT wrote:
I am Screaming, He is Screaming, she is screaming, we are screaming for Ice cream, YAY!

"I am screaming," is a complete sentence.

Fixed: I, he, she, and we are screaming for ice cream.

Also, screaming is nine letters. The max letter limit per word is seven! Furthermore, what faction begins with the letter O?

seleCT wrote:
Also, pls explain your other link about "Since" that pointed to a latin phrase about Carthage?

I think you are getting confused with another recent topic in another forum subsection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silly Words
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think this is valid. If not, at least it's poetic.

In my misery, I, a mechanic, had chased a mad, scarred, seaman many years and in a way, near a shaded acacia, his riff-raff wig and his dress made him seem angrier as he faced me, his icy eyes scheming again, mace and acid crammed near his arm, weary and wary, yet ready, my nemesis awaits, his dagger hidden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
SillyWords wrote:

In my misery, I, a mechanic, had chased a mad, scarred, seaman many years and in a way, near a shaded acacia, his riff-raff wig and his dress made him seem angrier as he faced me, his icy eyes scheming again, mace and acid crammed near his arm, weary and wary, yet ready, my nemesis awaits, his dagger hidden.

Very poetic! However, you used multiple instances of the same faction in several words. For example, a few words have M x2, R x2, or F x2. I'm sure there are a few others I missed. While we are allowing factions of the same terrain in the same word, we are not allowing double use of a single faction in an individual word. Use of the same faction is allowed in your sentence overall.

Remember, the word size limit is 7!

You have also comma spliced an extra sentence in your submission, "my nemesis awaits." The two independent clauses are also incorrectly joined. Some rearrangement is also required in your comma separated list of "characteristics."

I think you might be able to clean up most of these issues easily and take the lead!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silly Words
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb

This is fun......

American, Swedish, Finnish, Danish, French, Armenian, Canadian, Indian, Irish, Nigerian, and Swiss men are races of weird, mean, ashamed, shy, frigid, earing-wearing, greedy, canny, he-men fags chasing and charming many immense-fannied, hag-faced, famed, hairy, high, she-men fairies wearing racy, smeared, seedy, saggy, cream dresses in dim, shady, dicy, rancid, crammed, nerdy, icecream and wine cafes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silly Words
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
will fix up later. 7 letter limit. baaah. I should get bonus points for longer words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
SillyWords wrote:

This is fun......

American, Swedish, Finnish, Danish, French, Armenian, Canadian, Indian, Irish, Nigerian, and Swiss men are races of weird, mean, ashamed, shy, frigid, earing-wearing, greedy, canny, he-men fags chasing and charming many immense-fannied, hag-faced, famed, hairy, high, she-men fairies wearing racy, smeared, seedy, saggy, cream dresses in dim, shady, dicy, rancid, crammed, nerdy, icecream (two words) and wine cafes.

Funny sentence, but I just went through and checked for valid words and eliminated invalid submissions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
FYI: There are about 2006 valid words in which to create your sentence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silly Words
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
SillyWords wrote:

Fixed.

In my misery, I, a machine, had chased him, a mad, scary, seaman many years and in a way, near an acacia, his wig and his dress made him angry as he faced me, shading his icy eyes again, mace and acid near his arm, weary and wary, yet ready, his rage hidden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.