Tides of Madness» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Review: Tides of Madness rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Want to join a boardgaming club in Zuid-Limburg? www.BoardGamingInc.be
mbmbmbmbmb
This is going to be a very short review, because this is basically the same game as Tides of Time, with a twist.

(The box)

In this game, you get 18 different cards, Dixit size (120x80mm), 20 Madness tokens, a notepad with a pencil, a reference card and a rules leaflet.

(Contents)

It plays exactly the same as Tides of Time: it's a game for 2 players, each layer draws 5 cards from the shuffled stack, you pick one and pass the other 4 to the other player. You place the chosen card on the table so both can see what you picked. You do this until all cards are chosen, and then you simply check how many points you scored. But here's the twist!
Because you are dealing with the Great Old Ones and the mind-boggling places they reside in along with many other monsters, you risk getting mad!
8 of the cards in this game have tentacles on them. If you have these, you take 1 madness token for each card that has madness. The player with most madness tokens at the end of a round can either take 4 victory points or discard 1 Madness token. If at the end of a round, you have 9 Madness tokens, you lose!
So you need to take into account the benefits these cards give you, and keep an eye on the amount of Madness you might get. You can also try and give your opponent as many Madness as you can, to make him/her lose.

(all the cards)

All in all a very fun, quick, enjoyable game with GREAT artwork and a fun and popular theme, for 2 players. Great filler game that takes a little effort getting the hang of, but once you know the cards better, this is a solid choice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rudolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is better? This game or the original?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Want to join a boardgaming club in Zuid-Limburg? www.BoardGamingInc.be
mbmbmbmbmb
Putzmanrudy1 wrote:
Which is better? This game or the original?

Well they are both good, but if I had to choose, I'd go for this one for thetheme, artwork and added madness mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I made my own fan version of ToT, with smaller and more readable cards, with different artwork. Now I wonder if I should add some cards to it - make a 'madness token' card for each suit, and three more unsuited cards - and tweak the drafting rules to get 24 cards in play.

Either that, or buy this game and then have two similar games in the collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.