Subject: Is there differences between english and geman rules ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre Duchesne
Canada
La Baie
Quebec
flag msg tools
I ask that question because I read a french translation of the game and there is two points in the rules that are different between the french and english rules. I never saw the original german rules (and i don't read in german).

If english and german rules are identical, it was some errors in the translation from english or german to french.

differences are : what the Bumper marker does and condition for filling the gap on a district tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan White
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Pierre,

I just reviewed an English rules translation from the files section and came up with this:

Filling in gaps - Gaps are only filled-in once all of the spaces in a district have been filled, in numerical order (Top-to-bottom, left-to-right). Only once the final spot (the bottom-most, right-hand spot) has been filled, do new gangster cubes fill in the gaps, and this is done in numerical order (T-to-B, L-to-R). The rules emphasize that players only fill-in gaps when the final cube is present, so if the final cube (bottom right) is put in someone's trunk, then this space will be the next to be filled before any other gaps are filled.

Bumper- basically, when your vehicle ends it's movement in a district containing other vehicles, you may move one of the opposing vehicles to a connected, adjacent district.

Hope that helps!

-Jordan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Duchesne
Canada
La Baie
Quebec
flag msg tools
I know, this is what I read on the english rules but in the french translation, there is a difference.

In case of filling the gaps, only the player who has the last cube (bottom right) has the right to fill the gaps. I thought it was weird as a rule.

in case of bumper, you exchange your car with another player's car which is in an adjacent district. You do that with a district card...also weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan White
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree: those French translations sound profoundly weird!

Do you have any problem with just playing by the less-weird English translation rules? Having played by those rules a couple of times, I can attest to their functionality.

Enjoy! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Duchesne
Canada
La Baie
Quebec
flag msg tools
well, yeah. With english rules everything is logical..but the game last a bit too long.

Maybe one solution : playing with just 6 "x2" instead of 8.

Also, the police cards don't have much impact apart from making the game a bit longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan White
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree on both counts: the game feels too long and police cards are anticlimactic/antithematic.

The last time we played a shorter game by only doing two rounds, instead of three, but then the districts don't all get completely filled-up...

As for those police cards, I was considering either giving a penalty to the player drawing them (like sending one of their gangster cubes into the lake) or shuffling them in at different intervals throughout the deck and ending the round when the third police card is drawn.

I don't know if either change would significantly shorten the game (or unbalance it), but I share your two complaints regarding the police cards and the game length.

Cheers,

-Jordan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Duchesne
Canada
La Baie
Quebec
flag msg tools
I like your police card idea.
I'll do some other tests with modifications and I'll write when I'll find a good solution for the two problems. well..good for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Duchesne
Canada
La Baie
Quebec
flag msg tools
after playing a few more times. We prefer using only 6 doubling tokens and for the police cards, when a player get a police card, he loses one gangster (one cube). Now the game last just an hour and the higher score does not go over 120 points by much.

Thanks Jordan for the police cards idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan White
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat! Thanks for reporting back with your findings, Pierre!

Though I have this listed "for trade", I'll try to muster a game with your mods to see if it will remain in the collection

Cheers,

-Jordan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.