Subject: Looks Great - How does it compare to classic risk? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wey Scoggin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games components look great. I have only opened the box and perused the rule book. It does seem to have an axis and allies combat style, mixed a with a card driven strategy. The deck, which is the same for every player let you do some interesting things. A few of you options on your turn are to TAX (which lets you gather coins top purchase units) Expand, move down a supply line or attack. You get special abilities for owning certain cities. This game looks like it has gathered several ideas from designer games and slapped a Risk label on it. I am excited to try it out, and I'll update this post when I do. I have high expectations for it, and I share the same sentiments as most of you about classic risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
I put a few thoughts about it on this thread too: Risk: Europe !

I'm liking it so far

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a huge Risk fan, which is why I bought this version, oddly. I'm going to get rid of my copy of the original game - probably give it to my brother.

The reason this version attracted me is that it seems to get rid of the major problems that the other one had - i.e. long start-up time, each person's turn taking ages, the game not being over until all but one player is wiped off the board...

Having said that, I haven't had a chance to play yet - I'll be really disappointed if it doesn't address these issues after all. Having read the rules, I'm confident that it will, though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
I'm not a huge Risk fan, which is why I bought this version, oddly. I'm going to get rid of my copy of the original game - probably give it to my brother.

The reason this version attracted me is that it seems to get rid of the major problems that the other one had - i.e. long start-up time, each person's turn taking ages, the game not being over until all but one player is wiped off the board...

Having said that, I haven't had a chance to play yet - I'll be really disappointed if it doesn't address these issues after all. Having read the rules, I'm confident that it will, though...

The turns are really short so it keeps you engaged and planning out a couple of moves in advance with your order deck. The opposite of the huge turns in original risk where if you're not being attacked, you tend to check out for a while
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Tuscola
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PROS:
Got my copy yesterday and was I in for a surprise! Great sculpts and poses, beautiful map, overall nicely done. Watched Marco Arnaudo's video a few days before purchase and after reading the rules realized how much he left out. There are subtleties to Taxing, Expanding, and Maneuvering that you need to be mindful of. There is also a bit more to battles: it allows for combined arms (ranged fire, if you have the right mix of troops) before clashing in melee, and the possibility of adding more attacking troops; and as the defender, it is also possible to remove troops from the battle, as long as you leave enough to match the enemy's troop count (fly-paper effect). This in itself can make for some interesting battle posturing, especially since battle isn't resolved until all players have alternated playing two action cards each. The first-player status may change in the midst of play, thus upsetting your carefully conceived order-based plans. If less than four are playing, there are 2/3 player variant rules which add a mercenary army and mission rules are also included when you're ready to step it up. Overall, there are more strategic and tactical nuances to this 'Risk' game than ever before. Let's just say it should've been named Medieval Europe, thus severing ties to Risk which might put some gamers off.

CONS:
Only three, all minor... I was hoping it could handle more than four players. The green army should've been darker to overcome the 'glow in the dark' look. And the blue army's siege engines are hand-held wooden rams that look rather primitive when compared to the other and more advanced siege engines.

That said, Risk Europe is a well-priced little gem that deserves your serious consideration. You can wait until Fall and pay $39.99 plus local tax at major stores, or if you're an Amazon Prime member (free shipping) you can have it in about three days for $42.XX. What are you waiting for, me lads? Go kick some medieval ass (as in donkey...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Tuscola
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kept forgetting some of the finer points, so I made a players' aid - posting it so you can see some of the stuff not covered in Marco Arnaudo's video review:

Risk Medieval Europe, player aid

All card actions may be done in part OR not at all - card still expended

A. Expand
- May move into unclaimed territories
- May move into enemy territories - you become the Attacker
- Must have a siege engine if enemy territories contain castles
- Defender may leave disputed territories - subject to fly-paper rule
- A third army may not expand into disputed territories
- May not expand into disputed territories, or territories you control
- Must always leave at least one unit in territories you expand from

B. Maneuver
- May move units between territories you control - max of two territories
- Territories must be connected by supply lines (borders/sea lanes)
- Must stop upon entering disputed territories
- Cannot maneuver out of disputed territories
- Cannot drop off or pick up units
- Must leave at least one unit behind when leaving castle or city
territories

C. Tax
- Select ONE city to tax and include the tax value of any territories
connected to it by supply lines (non-city territories are worth one coin)
- Supply lines cannot be traced through disputed territories

D. Bonus card actions (may be done before or after the regular card action)
- Fortify: this may also be done by the defender of a disputed city or
castle territory
- King Me: takes effect at the beginning of the next round
- Siege Assault: select ONE territory containing one or more siege engines
to fire into an adjacent enemy territory
-- enemy cannot return fire
-- cannot fire across sea lanes
-- cannot fire into or out of disputed territories
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Tuscola
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,
I'm currently 760 miles from my game and trying to find the sleeve size for the cards. I think it's 56 x 87... Can anyone verify? Thanks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Varachidis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
VO NGUYEN GIAP
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct: 57mm X 87mm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Tuscola
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
idiorythmos wrote:
Correct: 57mm X 87mm

Thanks George!
PS I think you meant 56 instead of 57

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Varachidis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
VO NGUYEN GIAP
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Pepe

No, it,s exactly 57mm....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anthony
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So that being said, the closest sleeves come in 56 x 87mm or 57 x 89mm sizes. Assuming one would have to buy the 57 x 89mm size? I love the game so far but don't think the thin, flimsy card stock will stand up to much wear and tear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.