Subject: Deckbuilding? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The description says there is a deckbuilding element. I've looked at the Watch it Played video and do not see this mechanism. Can anyone explain how this mechanism is used in this game?

I ask because I want to purchase a game that has deckbuilding as one mechanic and not the entire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperor Spot wrote:
The description says there is a deckbuilding element. I've looked at the Watch it Played video and do not see this mechanism. Can anyone explain how this mechanism is used in this game?

I ask because I want to purchase a game that has deckbuilding as one mechanic and not the entire game.

Hi!

As an Action, you Draw 2 Cards from one Terrain pile (say, Jungle), keep one, and return the other to the deck. The one you keep goes to your hand.

Whenever you play cards, they go to your discard.

At the start of each round, you draw 4 cards. If you do not have cards to draw, you shuffle your discard, and begin drawing from it.

So, let's say in Round 1 you draw a Mountain card. Now, throughout the game, you'll tend to have more Structure points for Building, and will have better fighting capabilities in Mountain Terrain.

Voila, deckbuilding! As a piece, but not the entire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, if the rest of the game interests you then it isn't likely you'll feel like you're playing Dominion or Trains with the whole of Cry Havoc. The combination of traits and familiar but merged cohesively sub-mechanics are what we all appear to be attracted to here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes more sense--what was throwing me off was that there is no "currency" to purchase cards. Rather, the game allows you to simply draw more cards.

Different spin on the mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperor Spot wrote:
Makes more sense--what was throwing me off was that there is no "currency" to purchase cards. Rather, the game allows you to simply draw more cards.

Different spin on the mechanism.

Think of it less as buying a card and more as training your forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
BTW, thank you for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Espinoza wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
BTW, thank you for that.

It's a brilliant idea from the Portal team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.