Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Pitts
United States
Aloha
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone who's played the co-op mode tell me how it is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you were a play-tester, I don't believe anyone has this yet. However, I am very much looking forward to giving it a try when it does arrive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that copies are arriving....How is the co-op mode???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
I haven't tried it yet, but I'm not very excited after reading the rules. It strips out all the parts that make it a card game simulating a card game, and just turns it into a card game.

You play one prep + tournament against the boss, with one accessory revealed at each metagame reveal. The boss doesn't interact with the market, friendship cards don't matter, and aside from one character there's no more collections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bumping this thread. Surely SOMEONE must have tried this as a co-op by now, right? Is it any good? I appreciate piman's pithy summary, but could someone post more details about how it works?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Solo, not co-op, but I wrote a little more at Item for Geeklist "Solitaire Games on Your Table - March 2017" .

It works as follows:

1) Do a deckbuilding round, sans friendship cards and collections (unless you're playing as a characters whose special co-op powers are doing those). The boss doesn't do anything during this time, except reveal accessories it will be using. You can look through its deck to try to build good counter to its abilities. These are the usual sort of strong single abilities, alongside some major effects from the accessories you try to design your deck to avoid triggering.

2) Play one tournament. The boss plays its fixed deck randomly. Its deck box scores a number of points based on player count, the large scoring effects from accessories, and a bit from its singles.

That's it. I know it's not a lot more than my pithy summary, but there's just not a lot to it. If you want a longer game, you can play the four bosses in a row, shuffling in new sets before the last one. With only four bosses with fixed decks there's also not much opportunity to vary that side of the campaign.

Pitching it to my wife for a co-op game is going to be difficult at this point. "Want to play the third of Millennium Blades that I said wasn't very good when I tried it myself?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well okay then.

So you win by having more points than the boss? What is the winning condition when 2 players are battling a boss? Is it 2 head-to-head matches, or is there a 3-way tournament?

EDIT: Keep in mind that I haven't played the base game, so I might not understand all the terminology.

EDIT 2: How do players cooperate with each other, either during the deck construction phase, or during the tournament phase?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
peakhope wrote:
So you win by having more points than the boss? What is the winning condition when 2 players are battling a boss?

The sum of the players' scores must be greater than the boss's.

peakhope wrote:
Is it 2 head-to-head matches, or is there a 3-way tournament?

Both players are playing against the boss at the same time. Player cards that affect "your opponents" only affect the boss; targets of boss cards that affect "an opponent" are chosen by the players.

peakhope wrote:
How do players cooperate with each other, either during the deck construction phase, or during the tournament phase?

Deck construction proceeds as in the competitive game: Players can trade cards. Because it's cooperative you'll agree to lopsided trades which you wouldn't do in the competitive game, but the mechanics are the same.

During the tournament phase, players don't really cooperate, rather just not hurt each other. The same cards are used for player decks in both the competitive and cooperative mode, and so there are very few cards / effects you'd want to target at friendly players. Most cards that have good effects target "you", and most cards that target "another player" / "other players" are bad effects.

The individual character abilities affect all players. For example one character lets all players take 3 instead of 2 accessories; one character gives everyone an extra sell marker; etc.

I think what you're looking for is something where one player pumps up the other's cards, or a cross-player scoring engine, etc. That's not impossible, but it's rare, and depends on the cards you get (which is fewer than you'd get over the course of three deck construction phases in competitive mode). To be fair, there are a lot of cards, so possibilities for combos are still underexplored at this point. I'm skeptical the overall shape of the game will change, though.

This Kickstarter post actually contains most of the rules verbatim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any more info or is the co-op really just tacked on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.