Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Orr
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hello,

I'm rather new to hex and counter wargames, and decided that after a couple introductory games that this would be the next step. I picked up a dusty old used copy, glanced over the rules, and set up he 1812 campaign scenario. On setup I realized that there was a Po Cavalry counter missing that the setup claimed I should have. The counter sheets I see online only have 2, which is what I have, and the scenario calls for 3. It's not a huge deal, as there are unused French minor nation cavalry counters I could substitute, but I fear the long term functionality of the game could be hundred by a missing piece (like if I were to ever attempt the full campaign). I guess the question is simply whether I have the right amount that came with the game or if I truly am missing one (or more, as this is my first scenario setup). Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my recollection is that the original game was short of counters, and some extra were issued in The General

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the issue that among all the French Minor Allied country forces, the Polish troops were without any doubt equal in quality to the French. Indeed, the Polish Cavalry were usually included in French Guard Cavalry formations. Thus, there is justification for the coining of Polish Troops with White icons identifying their infantry with a Morale of 2, and their Cavalry should be noted as GC, morale 3.

There were even small formations of Irish troops who were equal to the French, and Italian cavalry who were, once again, not only equal to French cavalry, but included in French Guard Cavalry formations.

Bavarian troops between 1806 and 1813 were also the equal in fighting quality of regular French troops. After the Russian Campaign the Bavarians were devastated and never again attained the quality of their former glory.

So, if you're in the position where you're contemplating making counters for the game, you might as well correct a few of the other errors in the counter mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Orr
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks guys! Where can I get the General counters? I'm not likely to make my own counters for some time until I get a few of my own game ideas further into motion, so for now those extra units will help make the current version I have playable. Also, any other suggestions for next steps in these types of games? I started with Guns of Galicia, got War and Peace, and now am looking onward once I've learned and played War and Peace a few times. Are there any ancient/medieval/Renaissance hex and counter games with a good following? I see most are around more modern conflicts, not that I'm uninterested in those. I would love an Eastern Europe c. 1645-1660 game, truly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not altogether sure on the rights here, but they seems to be available
https://www.camelotgamestore.com/nopC/war-and-peace-variant-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
not altogether sure on the rights here, but they seems to be available
https://www.camelotgamestore.com/nopC/war-and-peace-variant-...

Interesting. Never saw Napoleon's last name spelled that way, though. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Samuel
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean "Buonaparte?" His family was Corsican-Italian, so that's how the name was spelled. Napoleon "frenchified" it, to further his ambitions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DrZaat wrote:
Do you mean "Buonaparte?" His family was Corsican-Italian, so that's how the name was spelled. Napoleon "frenchified" it, to further his ambitions.

No, look at the countersheet you posted:

"BONAPART"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Samuel
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't post it. Now that I look at it, though, I see what you mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lgoldberg wrote:

"BONAPART"

better than BLOWNAPART

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.