Subject: Am I the only person who dislikes stands/standees? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Specifically 2d vertical token representations of people, vehicles, etc mounted on these sort of things:

The "don't care about minis" thread got me thinking and while I like games with minis (often they are a selling point for me) and also like a great many games without minis, I realized that I just don't like stands. There are dozens of games that might have been good, but I saw that they had stands and just looked right past. I'm not sure I even realized why until now.

A few reasons:

-They feel like a weak compromise to me and with the high production values of todays games I've just begun to expect more minis in games.

-If a game isn't going to include minis, I'd rather have something simple and elegant like a meeple or a classic pawn, or even a wooden cube.

-There's something impermanent about these stands. Maybe it's the way they crease the bits of cardboard pushed into them that seem destined to fray and become loose.

Anyone else feel this way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They should be called fallees.

Pete (thinks that would be more accurate)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Well, they're not quite as bad as miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
Up with goats! Down with sheep!
mbmbmbmbmb
Because they might be oriented narrow edge to me, I find them (at times) harder to parse than minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Infi
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I'm not keen on them either although I wouldn't miss on a good game just for this reason alone. To me they look very cheap and a bit silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind them, they stir fond memories of an old favorite, the Star Wars edition of Life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, they are better than minis, every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep I agree, go mini or go chit/meeple/cube. Standees are the want to be everything but suck at everything model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
I'm a mini guy as well and agree that pawn tokens look better than standees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a fan. Go back to cardboard counters if you want to please the no mini crowd. It's cheap looking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm beginning to think BGG just wants to complain about board games and their components.

I don't mind the stands. I don't think a component can completely kill a game for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a long time I was absolutely anti-standee for board games. However, I've learned over the last 6+ years having 300+ miniatures that aren't painted keeps me from playing a game. I don't pretend that's normal or common, but playing with primed, unpainted or half painted miniatures is something I find really distracting.

So the standees are a practical solution and allow me to get the games to the table faster. I actually envy people that aren't bothered by unpainted miniatures. It must be like a whole different hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what would the price of dead of winter be with minis?
more than I and nearly everyone I've ever gamed with would be willing to pay
and I don't think you could make it work with meeples/cubes/whatever...maybe large flat pieces with pictures but that would have need for a larger board or something
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are the perfect alternative to expensive wooden blocks, too! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're better than miniatures but worse than meeples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
No, you're not the only one - and that is why a lot of the games I'd like to get only come in an expensive fully sculpted minis version instead of a lower cost standee version.

I've played lots of the minis games, and they really do have price accessibility issues at times - meanwhile, Legends of Andor does just find with standees. They are full color and look great compared to a sea of hard to distinguish plastic.

Look at Star Trek Panic - a wonderful 3d ship that keeps the game more affordable and functional. Some will pass because of the cardboard bits, and they are missing out on a good game. Also a nod to some of the miniature space ship wargames I've played where the base game is affordable and you get full fleets via counters, and then can buy and assemble/paint minis if you want... or some RPGs where you get paper standees to use and can go out and buy and assemble/paint minis if you want.

You don't like them, that's fine. Just admit you are a component snob - all of us are most of the time. I love my wooden bits in my games like in Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection, my glorious puzzle map like in The Fellowship of the Ring, and so on... however, poor components won't drive me away from a good game.

As to a fix for standees with an "thin side view", you can make baseless standees out of two pieces with a slot that form an x when viewed from the top down... that way you always can see what a piece is from any angle... or a simple square paper mini you glue that folds flat for convenient storage.

Actually, as I post this, I realize I'm getting annoyed with minis and their storage requirements - they make games consume far too much space and are a pain to tote around.

...but, no, you aren't alone - in fact, you are in the majority and this is why the majority of games don't use standees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Almonte
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I don't like standees, probably because they remind me of cheesy TV tie-in games from the 70s:

That said, games with scads of plastic minis seem a bit cheesy to me as well. The minis bloat and clutter the physical presentation of the game. My preference is for counters, blocks, or tokens/meeples for board games. I'm okay with honest-to-god miniatures for miniatures gaming where the collecting and painting of the miniatures themselves is half the hobby (though I'm not into that myself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Doe
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them as much as miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Francis
United Kingdom
Prestwick
South Ayrshire
flag msg tools
I've never found standees to be an issue, sometimes it's just a better alternative to either having smaller pieces just to have a marker.

As an example, the standees for Arkham saved a fortune vs. The amount it would cost for each investigator, for each creature, etc.

I have only ever had concerns with the stands in the case of Tales of Arabian Nights which felt incredibly tight to get them into and the initial worry that something would happen to the image but aside from that fear I think they make an easy grab when there's a ton of 'em in the same area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have other examples somewhere in my dusty vault, but they do quite nicely as doors in Space Hulk.

I do prefer 3D minis when I'm contemplating a purchase that isn't the usual stacks of counters wargame.

I agree with previous opinions of them falling down when someone creates a breeze coming into the room, and becoming invisible from the side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Sinnott
Canada
Minesing
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not really a fan of standees either. My friend, who is a professional miniatures painter, helped me paint my Mice & Mystics miniatures and they look awesome. Painted miniatures look way better then standees and really enhance the game. I wouldn't pass up a good game just because it has standees though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they work great in Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game and Eldritch Horror. They provide a better overview because the component literally "stands out" from the board.

The team behind Dead of Winter was also clever to make the individual silhouettes of the different characters each standee's outline shape and I'm pretty sure the illustrations were created with exactly this goal in mind. The game would have been extremely expensive with miniatures and because they are so well-produced and implemented, I don't consider them at all as a "cheap Plan B".

Do miniatures look better ? Yes of course, but again, I don't want to pay 300 Euro for Dead of Winter. And in terms of providing a good overview in Dead of Winter, standees do indeed work way better. People already had problems distinguishing the 4 soldier models in Gears of War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Davej360 wrote:
mafman6 wrote:
what would the price of dead of winter be with minis?
more than I and nearly everyone I've ever gamed with would be willing to pay
and I don't think you could make it work with meeples/cubes/whatever...maybe large flat pieces with pictures but that would have need for a larger board or something

I'm guessing maybe under $60?!? Judging by current Zombicide prices.

I respectfully doubt that.

Keep in mind that Dead of Winter features 33 unique characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I wish I was on holiday right now
mbmbmbmbmb
I like standees when they are done well, such as in Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game. The art is really well done and honestly i think they convey more personality than if they were minis (and replacing the standees with meeples would just not work imo). However i think minis are perfect for games like Star Wars: Imperial Assault. It just depends. I don't like unpainted minis and i don't know how to paint minis and even if i did know how to paint them i don't know when i would have the time, which is why i don't own Imperial Assault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously you're not. Some people prefer standees, some prefer minis, some think both are fine.

Aren't these posts, along with 'which unpopular/popular game do you like/dislike?' ones, really divisive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.