Subject: Expansion Compatibility Across Versions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Bock
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Ok. I've scoured BGG forums and the rest of the internet via Google and I've collected about all of the information I can find of this subject. With help from knowledgeable people here, perhaps I can figure this all out. I think this is important for people who may find the Altar version or early Z-Man edition in the wild or acquire it as part of a trade. I'll list all of the differences between the versions I can discover and discuss how their compatibility with the English expansions from Z-Man is affected by this.

Differences between versions:

My understanding is that the differences between the Altar (original, 2002) version, the later Z-Man (First edition, 2007), and the latest Z-man version (Second edition, 2014) are mostly, if not entirely, cosmetic.I know there were some rule changes between these two versions, but my understanding is that those Z-Man changes can theoretically be applied as house rules in the Altar version, so I don't count those as major changes. If anyone has identified specific card/stat changes, then please let me know. I'll keep digging and post anything I find.

These cosmetic changes between the Altar version and the Zman editions that I have noticed are as follows.

-The artwork on the card faces has been changed.

-The character Card are larger and the background artwork on them as been changed, but the characters themselves have been left unchanged.

-The card backs have changed in the Zman editions to the point where it's easily noticeable, especially side by side. They also have rounded corners on the Zman editions versus the squared corners on the Altar version, but the size remains otherwise the same.

-The components in the Zman editions are made of a thicker (many say nicer) card-stock than the Altar version.

-The little bead counters of the Altar version have been replaced by cubes and cardboard counters.

I have yet to identify any differences in the boards other than possible component quality. Does anyone know of any?

There also appear to be some cosmetic differences and card differences between the Zman First edition (2007) and the Zman Second edition (2014), as well as the two Zman English expansions.

-The two Zman editions, separated by 7 years, have been printed by two different printers, causing the colors of the artwork on the cards and, I assume, the boards, to be different enough as to make each edition easily identifiable.

-The Zman Water Realm expansion appears to match the Second Zman (2014) printing of the game, but not the first edition zman (2007) printing. This has been attributed to the games having been printed by a different printer. The Dragon Realm expansion should be the other way around, matching the Zman (2007) colors, but not the reprint from 2014.

Has there been a later reprint of Dragon Realms that matches the 2014 zman edition perfectly?

Compatability:

So, from what I can gather, you can technically play the Altar version of the game or the Zman First edition (2007) with the later expansions, but you should sleeve the cards in such a way as you cannot tell the difference between card backs. The only version you can really play with the English expansions (and not have the randomness of the card drawing broken) is the Zman Second edition (2014).

Is this all correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bock
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
It just occurred to me that I may have referenced the 2014 reprint as the 2014 Second edition instead of the 2014 version. Does Zman consider this reprint their 2nd edition, or when they say 1st edition are they talking about the original 2007 Altar version? I've seen some people call the 2014 version the Third edition, etc. There seems to be some confusion about this. This is perhaps caused by the printing differences between the ZMAN reprints, or were there other major changes between those printings as well that I'm missing?

I know that the Dragon Realm expansion contains 9 cards that they say are "fixed or adjusted cards from the first edition of the basic game." (Dragon Realm Rules, page 3) I assume they are saying that these cards are meant to replace their counterparts in the 2007 Zman version and not the Altar version, which I have seen referred to as the first edition before as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bock
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Ok, it just occured to me that the copyright date on the Dragon Realm rules I downloaded from Zman's site says 2009. The means to me that the fixed cards for the 1st edition referenced in the Dragon Realm rules are indeed for use with the Altar First edition. Am I right?

If this is right, then it means that no mater what edition of the base game I have, I'll need to sleeve the cards if I want to play with both expansions?

If I have the Altar version I have to Sleeve the cards to play with either expansion. If I have the First print from Zman, then I have to sleeve the cards to play with Water Realm. If I have the latest second printing from Zman, then I need to sleeve the cards to play with Dragon Realm.

This seems to be a little confusing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both water Realms and Dragon and colors are lighter than the prophecy base game. I own all Zman version. Expansion cards have lighter color and different material and image on the back is not perfectly centered but don't mind the game is cool.

Cards that should fix prophecy base game have the same color problem, and a few are not necessary because 2014 version have them already, still the the one with dragon enemy have the same error. I own the third version 2014 the one with Vlaada's name above the title instead of lower left corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bock
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
UtterMarcus wrote:
I have both water Realms and Dragon and colors are lighter than the prophecy base game. I own all Zman version. Expansion cards have lighter color and different material and image on the back is not perfectly centered but don't mind the game is cool.

Cards that should fix prophecy base game have the same color problem, and a few are not necessary because 2014 version have them already, still the the one with dragon enemy have the same error. I own the third version 2014 the one with Vlaada's name above the title instead of lower left corner.

I think that means that the expansion cards technically don't match don't match any edition or printing. Interesting...

Also are the replacement cards that were not necessary the Storm Queen, Scroll of Divine Will, potion of healing, potion of strength, or scroll of stealing?

Thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bingo414 wrote:

I think that means that the expansion cards technically don't match don't match any edition or printing. Interesting...

Also are the replacement cards that were not necessary the Storm Queen, Scroll of Divine Will, potion of healing, potion of strength, or scroll of stealing?

Thanks for the info!

Ok I have recheck all the cards one by one (I have done that a long time ago and not remember) and all cards from base game of my edition are already fixed.
Included storm queen and fire-breathing dragon (that still have the second wrong icon).
Mirrored shield artefact, Lone Wolf Chance card, Common Item Scroll of Divine Will, rare items Potion of strength, potion of healing, scroll of decay and scroll of stealing are all already fixed.

Please note that original cards have bigger font type also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.