Giga-Robo!» Forums » General

Subject: Does O-Gun have anything to do with Yoruba / Santeria? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an avid salsa dancer, I've spent some time looking into the roots of the dance I love so much. One of these roots lies in traditional religious dances of the Yoruba religion, mostly from West Africa.
Through slave trade, Yoruba people came to South America, where they weren't entirely allowed to practice their religion. So the Yoruba religion was syncretised with Christianity, which lead to a still-practiced religion called Santería.
Why am I writing all of this? Well. In Yoruba/Santería, one of the gods is Ogún.
Ogún is a fierce warrior god who is often depicted armed with a machete. His traditional dance also mimics chopping stuff with said machete

So, I'm wondering. Is this a coincidence, or was O-Gun named after Ogún?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cheng
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's super exciting that you immediately pickup up on that.

Ogún is also a loa of iron, which felt perfect when it was being designed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Both the game and you just rose 500 points on my cool-o-meter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renan Neori
Israel
Tel Aviv
Gush Dan
flag msg tools
From a time before Pachinko...
badge
Don't touch!
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, I just figured it was a play on Shogun surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
My first exposure to the loa was the Neuromancer series. Papa Legba, Maman Brigitte and Baron Samedi in particular were featured heavily. It's not a mythos I come in contact with frequently being a Northerner. Perhaps because of that I find it extremely intriguing everytime I see something that references it.

I also had assumed O-Gun was some play on the word Shogun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Scalise
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
I thought it was a reference to Orguss, from Super Dimension Century Orguss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... Any more hidden references in the robot names? Ayzn sounds a whole lot like the German 'Eisen', which means iron. So that would make sense. But is it also what you guys thought of?
Dai Raijin seems to reference the Shinto lightning god Raijin?
Chogoking is a bit harder to find. Chogo of Baekje? (Last two are purely Wikipedia knowledge )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hammerschlag
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
IRON FUSION OVERKILL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wormaap wrote:
Ayzn sounds a whole lot like the German 'Eisen', which means iron.

Spot on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Scalise
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
I think I actually know this one. Given the subject matter, this and Dai Raijin actually seem like the obvious ones.

In the granddaddy of all giant robot anime, Mazinger Z, Mazinger's power came from Chogokin Z (Super Alloy Z). To capitalize on it, metal figures of the robot were branded as Chogokin figures. The name became associated with Bandai's line of metal figures, and now you can get Chogokin and Soul of Chogokin figurines of a lot of super robots, but the Mazinger family remains the centerpiece of the line.

If Chogokin Z isn't the origin of Chogoking's name then I don't know what it could possibly be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chogokin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cheng
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mbsgf8 wrote:
I think I actually know this one. Given the subject matter, this and Dai Raijin actually seem like the obvious ones.

In the granddaddy of all giant robot anime, Mazinger Z, Mazinger's power came from Chogokin Z (Super Alloy Z). To capitalize on it, metal figures of the robot were branded as Chogokin figures. The name became associated with Bandai's line of metal figures, and now you can get Chogokin and Soul of Chogokin figurines of a lot of super robots, but the Mazinger family remains the centerpiece of the line.

If Chogokin Z isn't the origin of Chogoking's name then I don't know what it could possibly be.

Right on the money.

Dai-Raijin V is referring to the lightning god, as well as the super robots Combattler V and Voltes V.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elle Elle
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jetjagaa wrote:
mbsgf8 wrote:

Right on the money.

Dai-Raijin V is referring to the lightning god, as well as the super robots Combattler V and Voltes V.

Holy crap! Voltes V?!?!? Let me just announce it to the Philippine tabletop community, they'll go nuts for this !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
jetjagaa wrote:
Right on the money.

Wait, you're saying it WASN'T based on GekiGanger V?

http://i.imgur.com/7apDDPJ.jpg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.