Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cathy Calcan
Japan
Yokohama
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, I have some questions regarding the rules, and one question regarding the design.

--

Discarded Spell cards: public info?
In the "Cast a Spell" phase, if you choose to "Sell again to the High Council" or to "Recharge interrupt tile",
you have to discard one of your spell cards. Should I tell the other players which spell I discarded?

Potion ability: Add to chamber from where?
There is a potion ability that lets you place 2 secret potions to the chamber.
Where should I take the potion from? From the supply? Or from my player screen?
(I assume supply is correct, throwing in my own potions seems like more pain than gain...)

When bankrupt?
In theory, when everything went wrong, you may go virtually bankrupt.
i.e. Your potions busted and no potions left in hand, you have less than $10 so you can't even buy a thing, that kind of situations.
Is there any official rules for this? (I would probably just call a game and restart again though...)

--

What was the intention for the player screen?
In this game, players' inventory are trackable.
You know I have $100, you know which potions I claimed at the beginning, you know I paid $60 for 3 potions...
There are no hidden transactions, no hidden trades between players, no secret bids,
so assuming you have good memory, nothing is really hidden behind your screen.
That lead me to the question, "What is the screen for?"
Because... I may want to houserule to exclude screens, since I have bad memory cry

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
calcan wrote:
Discarded Spell cards: public info?
In the "Cast a Spell" phase, if you choose to "Sell again to the High Council" or to "Recharge interrupt tile",
you have to discard one of your spell cards. Should I tell the other players which spell I discarded?

I've always played with face-up discarding, so that's the intention.

calcan wrote:
Potion ability: Add to chamber from where?
There is a potion ability that lets you place 2 secret potions to the chamber.
Where should I take the potion from? From the supply? Or from my player screen?
(I assume supply is correct, throwing in my own potions seems like more pain than gain...)

Yes, from the supply.

calcan wrote:
When bankrupt?
In theory, when everything went wrong, you may go virtually bankrupt.
i.e. Your potions busted and no potions left in hand, you have less than $10 so you can't even buy a thing, that kind of situations.
Is there any official rules for this? (I would probably just call a game and restart again though...)

I've never had it happen, as something would have to go really really wrong for this, but yes, I'd probably just end the game there for the sake of the person who is hopeless.

calcan wrote:
What was the intention for the player screen?
In this game, players' inventory are trackable.
You know I have $100, you know which potions I claimed at the beginning, you know I paid $60 for 3 potions...
There are no hidden transactions, no hidden trades between players, no secret bids,
so assuming you have good memory, nothing is really hidden behind your screen.
That lead me to the question, "What is the screen for?"
Because... I may want to houserule to exclude screens, since I have bad memory cry

I have a bad memory as well, but I always prefer to play games from my gut rather than perfect information. I also hate downtime in games where a player sits and counts every last cube and calculates down to the last dollar what the best option is, making everyone else wait while they do so. So, I just prefer having players make decisions based on what they think they know, rather than letting them look at everything repeatedly.

Of course, some players will have a pristine memory, but this applies to very few players. It's extremely common for players to say, "Oh man, I can't remember if you have more Owl Spit than me or not", or "Crap, I can't really remember what's in the Council Chamber". To me, this is fun and provides a lot of good tension and surprise over open holdings. There's enough going on in the game where even players with decent memories are distracted by the rest of the game over keeping a precise tally of what everyone owns. A general idea is typically good enough, though.

Of course, the game works just fine if you prefer to ditch the screens and play with open holdings so long as the group agrees to it. It's just my preference to have things hidden, so I designed the game with screens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I tend to see hidden information (that could be calculated from the original public information) as a way of preventing time consuming last round calculations. Basically, it's to prevent other players from trying to figure out the "perfect move" that will help them and hurt others the most. Unless you have a perfect memory and have been laser focused for every transaction, it just won't be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
I tend to see hidden information (that could be calculated from the original public information) as a way of preventing time consuming last round calculations. Basically, it's to prevent other players from trying to figure out the "perfect move" that will help them and hurt others the most. Unless you have a perfect memory and have been laser focused for every transaction, it just won't be worth it.

Yup, it's not fun for the other players to sit there waiting for that player to count and recount everything. But, of course, if a group does find that to be fun, it's easily fixable by ditching the screens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cathy Calcan
Japan
Yokohama
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
mb
Chaddyboy, thanks for answering my questions.
It is also great to know your intention for the screens.
As I said, I have a bad memory, but some of my gaming friends have a razor sharp memory... sometimes it makes me feel like "that's not fair!" when playing with them.
But I should agree, ditching the screen sure does prolong the downtime due to those Analysis Paralysis kind of plays. And I must confess, I am prone to those AP symptoms.
I think I shall ask the group before play, which style(with or without screens) they would prefer, informing the downtime issues.

Jason, thanks for your insight.
"Time consuming last round calculations", yes, I know that for sure. My ears are burning...
Screens does work as a good mitigating device after all.

Thanks to you two again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.