Subject: Game board suggestion (Tiles or folded?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Garrity
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
Hello, I've been designing a large board game called The 12 Towers for just under a year, and I'd like to get some suggestions.

(If you'd like more info on the game, here's the WIP thread)
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1580236/wip-12-towers-sandb...

To clarify, this is not a finished game, nor is the artwork. In the pic is my 2nd edition boards I had printed a few months ago. One I kept whole, and the other I cut into tiles. I've been working on a few PROS and CONS between having a tile based board, and a 4 section folded (or a quad cut).

Ideas? I'll provide whatever further info is needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United Kingdom
Fareham
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the folded/quad cut board would be best as the tile based version looks like it would take ages to assemble, assuming that the locations of each colour is important. Also the tile based version would be prone to getting scattered if someone accidentally knocks into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Garrity
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
Agreed, it does take a while to assemble. While tiles allow for quite a lot of customization, a folded would be great for easy setup/tear down.

If I'm lucky, I'll be getting a few more boards to experiment with, I didn't have the tools to make little puzzle piece connectors on the cut board. That would solve a few problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Folded may be better because it may be less time consuming and may stay on cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the board isn't supposed to be completely modular(meaning that it can be assembled in any order/configuration) having it cut into so many pieces only adds to the setup time and the chances to make some mistake by misplacing something, speacially with pieces of 3 different shapes and sizes in different colors.

If you have considered the posibilty of a folding board, I assume that the board is probably a fixed setup. In that case it's be better to have a folding one, or tou can divide the ouside border into 4 or 5 arches, way easier to assemble than 33 small triangles and rhombs around the central wheel. This way it still allows for some degree of customization (depending on the order you place the 5 segments) but it's easier to manage and setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like you want the board only to set up one way?
With that in mind I'd probably do a cut like:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, very similar to the idea I was just having just above (but I was thinking 4 or 5 arched segments like a letter "C", assembled around the central wheel).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Garrity
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
I like these ideas, thank you everyone!

Hopefully in the future I'll be able to fund a customization tile board. That'll be a fun game to watch. The premise of the game is controlling different sections of the board, and there's a wide range of possible match ups (2vs2, 3vs3vs3, etc), so sections could be moved around or left out entirely.

If you like The 12 Towers, I have a page going, and I'll need all the support I can get! Thanks again!

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/202491/12-towers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.