Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like cosmic anymore. This seriously seems to fix all my issues with it. Plus it's great to have a game of thrones game about the characters. This totally fires the board game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Tremblay
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Test
Could you explain more as I do not know Cosmic Encounters at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K A
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, please, in my 2 playings of Cosmic I found it to be so so. What differences does this have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There really isn't enough information yet. Differences we know so far:

You send an entire planet (character) into each encounter, with the defender choosing his own. (Doesn't make the game better or worse, just necessary for the theme.)

You each use a deck specific to your main character, not a common deck used by all players. You can only use cards from that deck while the corresponding character is still living. (This all sounds very interesting, though I don't see what it "fixes.")

You can't play certain characters against each other since you pick one out of five characters belong to your house. So Jaime Lannister will never fight against Tyrion Lannister, whereas in Cosmic there is no concept of a "house" so all aliens can be played against each other (with a few exceptions).

Otherwise it sounds like the same game. You play attacks (hostilities) and negotiates (truces?) and artifacts (not sure the name in this edition, but they have character pictures on them).

Presumably you can win together still since the alliance mechanic remains.

Also, the average time listed is quite short, probably because of how characters/planets work.

I didn't read over everything carefully, so maybe I missed something. I'm excited about it, but I am not sure they showed much that would make a non-Cosmic fan like this, aside from the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamePlayer wrote:
Yes, please, in my 2 playings of Cosmic I found it to be so so. What differences does this have?

*Each color is a house.

*Houses have 5 leaders. Once you pick your leader, you will take remove that character (planet) from your field.

*Each house has it's own unique deck. You can only use a character specific card if that character is in the battle, or it's the leader you have chosen.

*Everyone has the same combat cards in their deck, ranging from 1-20. No wild swings of luck.

*Victories you place a house token of your house on their house card (completely different than the old way).

*Instead of inviting people, then the defender, then players deciding in turn order... in turn order (presumably) they can offer their support to a side, that player chooses to accept or not. This should speed that whole step up.

*Characters (planets) can now be captured or killed.

*You only declare an attack against a house, they choose the defender.

*Card you flip to know who you are attacking is called the event deck, so one can assume they do more than just tell you who to attack.

All this leads to a massively easier and quicker set up time. As well as tear down time. They are no longer bound to cosmic and trying to balance crazy unbalanced powers. As a result, the powers and cards should be better balanced, and lead to a tighter game. The entire leader card system will be very interesting, as over time you will learn the characters and the tricks they can do. All fights where the same in cosmic, now Jamie vs Ayra compared to Jamie vs Eddard will be different.

Streamlined. More interesting mechanics. Character driven. Less components to deal with. All great changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
I don't like cosmic anymore. This seriously seems to fix all my issues with it. Plus it's great to have a game of thrones game about the characters. This totally fires the board game for me.
Seems like a straight retheme to me. Don't mess with perfection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmb
But the crazyness of cosmic is whst make it shines. I can see that this game is too much for some people. So I guess a simplified version will be better for them. But this also mean you have a fixed set of power. Which sounds boring and repetetive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moshimon wrote:
But the crazyness of cosmic is whst make it shines. I can see that this game is too much for some people. So I guess a simplified version will be better for them. But this also mean you have a fixed set of power. Which sounds boring and repetetive.

There will probably be an expansion before you finish your first 3125 unique 5-player games. I admit that some of them might seem a bit similar to each other, but you can arrange your plays into groups of 5 that have no common powers (trivially, the start and end of adjacent groups of 5 need not have more than one power in common; you can order the groups to make this zero most (all?) of the time while working through all combinations).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Wang
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic is still one of my favourite games ever because of all the different alien powers but this one is still a must buy for me.

I'm throwing money at the screen and nothing is happening!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
Moshimon wrote:

There will probably be an expansion before you finish your first 3125 unique 5-player games. I admit that some of them might seem a bit similar to each other, but you can arrange your plays into groups of 5 that have no common powers (trivially, the start and end of adjacent groups of 5 need not have more than one power in common; you can order the groups to make this zero most (all?) of the time while working through all combinations).

I am still interested and will watch the first reviews. I usually prefer new streamlined version but cosmic is for me one of this very rare "perfect game". But it seems different, it just uses sone of cosmic mechanics which could end up being fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Wentu
Italy
Parma
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Straddllw wrote:
Cosmic is still one of my favourite games ever because of all the different alien powers but this one is still a must buy for me.

I'm throwing money at the screen and nothing is happening!!!!

try throwing 50$ in coins and maybe something will happen to the screen. (don't blame me though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
Looking at the game overview and artwork on the FF website, this looks really good. Like CE however, I think this is a game that will rely heavily on the group and will reward some role playing style game play.

It's nice to see a thematic game use the license, that doesnt clash with or compete against the current GoT board game. This will be for a different board game audience I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Searles
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Seems like a straight retheme to me. Don't mess with perfection.

This is very far from a retheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rikboy wrote:
It's nice to see a thematic game use the license, that doesnt clash with or compete against the current GoT board game. This will be for a different board game audience I think.

Completely disagree. It's already fired the board game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin G
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
SeerMagic wrote:
Rikboy wrote:

Completely disagree. It's already fired the board game for me.

I dont like the board game either. I just meant its nice to see this theme used in something completely different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moshimon wrote:

This is my concern as well. Cosmic Encounter from Avalon Hill is considered terrible due to the lack of content.

CE is my favorite game but I can see why it would be hard for some players to get into it. Having a simplified Game of Thrones version would help quite a bit capturing the bit of the experience.

However, the original CE is still king. Numerous alien powers and so many options to come across any situation. I never had an issue with "Overpowered Aliens" or a "bad card draw" due to the tools the game gives you. The entire game is about understanding the meta and negotiations; good players will easily pick up on this ("You're the Virus, you're on your own buddy")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
[q="GamePlayer"]
*Instead of inviting people, then the defender, then players deciding in turn order... in turn order (presumably) they can offer their support to a side, that player chooses to accept or not. This should speed that whole step up.

Honestly this sounds like a good variant for Cosmic Encounter. I'm going to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:
Having a simplified Game of Thrones version would help quite a bit capturing the bit of the experience.

Looks streamlined, not simplified. Several of the changes sound like a more interesting game to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always liked the strategy in cosmic in terms of who to ally and when, how to best use the cards in your hand, and how to predict your opponent's moves. These kind of mechanics lend themselves well to the game of thrones theme.
I never really like the super crazy aliens and massive attack cards in Cosmic as I felt they often derail the game too far from what it's meant to be. So if this game reigns in some of that chaos as it seems that it might, I will be very very happy.

And sure Cosmic has crazy levels of variety, but so many of those are aliens with powers that are so mundane that they might as well not even exist. I'd be happier to see fewer powers if t means we are getting the best designed of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:
It's simplified. While I like the idea of streamlined rules to make easier to explain to non-gamers, I can tell based on some of "powers" listed on their preview that there won't be that much room for clever play.

100% disagree. Characters having unique powers (and how you choose your leader) will make card play vastly more interesting than cosmics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:

I never really like the super crazy aliens and massive attack cards in Cosmic as I felt they often derail the game too far from what it's meant to be. So if this game reigns in some of that chaos as it seems that it might, I will be very very happy.

It might be just that you don't like what the game is 'meant to be'. The crazy aliens, massive swings and chaos are exactly what appeal to me about Cosmic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K A
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
MasterDinadan wrote:

It might be just that you don't like what the game is 'meant to be'. The crazy aliens, massive swings and chaos are exactly what appeal to me about Cosmic.

That could be the case for some in which case they might prefer what this game is 'meant to be'. I only played cosmic a couple of times and it fell flat. I suspect it (and probably this) will be very group dependent. I guess that's true of all games but group negotiation games seem to be particularly tricky for finding the right combination of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:

On the other hand, Cosmic Encounter's "Pacifist" alien power changes how you approach the encounter. It encourages you to do some table talk before the cards are laid down and allows a lot of room for bluffing for the pacifist player.

I think "Empath" is a better comparison (when he plays Negotiate, his opponent's card changes to Negotiate).
Eddard's ability is practically identical, except it also does the reverse (his opponent can't betray, but he can't betray either).

There is still plenty of thoughtful decision to be made in how to play when up against this power. There is some deterrent to throwing down a good card because Ned could just completely negate it with a truce. But if you throw down a low card, Ned could beat you with a higher card. Finally, if you are expecting Ned to play a high card, you can play a truce of your own to use his ability against him. It seems interesting enough to me.

It's also nice that the players get a choice of leaders. If we find that Ned just isn't that interesting to play, then you never have to play him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamePlayer wrote:
Quote:

That could be the case for some in which case they might prefer what this game is 'meant to be'.

Cosmic Enounter is so unlike everything else - being a game from the land far far far away, from another culture (from 1977 to be exact). it has no direct descendants and hobby gaming went into a completely different direction afterwards.

So:
- if you want what CE offers )pure distilled chaos), it already exists.
- if you don't want what CE offers, there's like most other games giving you exactly what CE doesn't have. Take bgg top 2000 and just pick something (which isn't CE). Why in the world would you want to turn a unique game into something similar to every other game, when you can just pick that other game FFG is trying to turn CE into?

FFG motives in this case are really simple:
- they can't help themselves but meddle with every game design property they have.
- their current games with which they try to milk aGoT franchise are too heavy for casual gaming masses.
- they gave CE every expansion it could get, reset is their only option if they want to milk it further.

And gamerz are well gamerz, they want a new version out of every existing game, just because. Like grabbing the newest i-phone. Even when the best version was 3 iterations ago. It's the hope, the promise of how oh the holy avatar of best gaming experience for them will finally manifest itself (it never will, but money will be spend on this illusion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.