Hide
3 Posts

Mahjong» Forums » Strategy

Subject: WWYD (What would you discard?) #2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Wu
msg tools
Hello everyone, and welcome to my second WWYD puzzle!
I was pleasantly surprised by the number of people who commented on my first WWYD puzzle. Let's keep it up!

For those of you who don't know, Outside Hand (AKA Chanta, Mixed Lesser Terminals or Impure Terminals) is a pattern in New Style mahjong. It refers to a hand where each of the four sets and the pair contain at least one terminal or honor tile.

Anyways, this WWYD question has two parts. For the first part, the scoring system doesn't matter that much, but for the second part it is assumed that whatever scoring system you are using includes Outside Hand. This time, it is the South round, and you are in the North seat. The tile you just drew is the 1B. Again, if you are playing Riichi, the two dora are 6D and E.

The first question is: in this situation, what should you discard, assuming you need to win as fast as possible? (Ignore the minimum limit for MCR and Riichi). This question should be really easy.

The second question, which is the harder one, is: in this situation, what should you discard, assuming you need to make an Outside Hand? For example, you are playing MCR or Riichi and need the points from the Outside hand to satisfy the minimum limit.

Here is the link to the screenshot of the file: http://screencast.com/t/lNiaVIGbShj

Poll: WWYD #2
1. Remember: It is the South round, and you are in the North seat. If you are playing Riichi the two dora are 6D and E. Below is your hand:

Kong: EEEE Chi: 123C 789C
Hand: 189B 23D

What should you discard, assuming you need to win as fast as possible?
1B
8B
9B
2D
3D
2. Remember: It is the South round, and you are in the North seat. If you are playing Riichi the two dora are 6D and E. Below is your hand:

Kong: EEEE Chi: 123C 789C
Hand: 189B 23D

What should you discard, assuming you need to make an Outside Hand?
1B
8B
9B
2D
3D
      6 answers
Poll created by DavidSWu147

As always, all feedback and/or criticisms are greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Towards a Terminals hand, discarding B8 is the fastest way out, with the hand being one-tile-from-calling on B1/B9/D1.

If you discard B1, you can only advance upon B9/D1, since chi B7 leaves you waiting to draw another terminal for eye-call.

If you discard D2/D3, you can only advance upon B1/B7, since you don't have a calling hand with B9 (ending up with B1899).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wu
msg tools
Glad to hear your thoughts on my problem, Alan! The truth is, I was thinking the same thing, that discarding 8B here was best, but I wasn't really sure which had a higher probability, being only able to draw 1B or being able to draw or chow 7B but have to draw another terminal/honor afterwards. I guess it depends on which terminals/honors have been discarded already.

Of course, if there wasn't a need to make an Outside Hand, I would probably discard 1B, because the chance of drawing 23D 7B for a small hand seems to be more valuable than that of drawing 1B for Outside Hand, and there's still the chance of an Outside Hand from drawing 9B 1D.

Also, this is a bit off topic, but I have two questions regarding your book, which IMO is a pleasure to read, because it's scholarly written and lucid.

1. When will the English version be available on your website? Also, do you plan to upload back the English articles such as "Teaching Children to play Zung Jung" and "The Zung Jung Average"? If so, when?

2. This is purely out of curiosity, but what's 四不像? You mentioned it in chapter 19 as an example for difference-based patterns that are to be excluded because they are less consistent than similarity-based ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.