Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Embley
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone else see BITBOX advertised on the Geek today? I have admit... it has me thinking. I'm thinking about getting one for some of my games to try it out... seems better than culling as a solution!

Here's the website: (http://www.bitboxgamestorage.com/)

Is this on anybody else's radar? Has anybody heard about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My immediate thought was "useless"! You either like your boxes or have already consolidated using scrap booking or crafting boxes.

I looked into it more and concluded "useless"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not just a boardgame player. I also appreciate and love a game with good components, good art and a good box.

and ... BITBOX is, frankly, terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Plastic tubs better:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Plastic tubs better:

... and for your prize games. Your game stored complete in its original box in a plastic tub.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Duisburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drummermark wrote:

Here's the website: (http://www.bitboxgamestorage.com/)

Is this on anybody else's radar? Has anybody heard about it?

what a messy boardgame shelf gulp

(instead of using their ugly boxes, they should probably just reorder the games....)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
infectedeggs wrote:
clearclaw wrote:
Plastic tubs better:

... and for your prize games. Your game stored complete in its original box in a plastic tub.

Those are my prize games: dumped into a tub and the original box long since discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"increases resale value"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
euronoob wrote:
"increases resale value"

I think the idea with that one (the portable one) is you don't carry the actual box around to get beat up, so the "resale value" is preserved by not having the actual box get travel-worn.

To be honest, it's a pain to carry a lot of my games around and I wouldn't mind a solution for it that's more mobile and portable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragoonkin wrote:
To be honest, it's a pain to carry a lot of my games around and I wouldn't mind a solution for it that's more mobile and portable.

Look up scrapbook totes.

Wait for a good sale at Michaels or your preferred store and get something that holds a dozen games in compartments and sections with wheels for maybe $50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Corrugated? This is not the cardboard you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Aberdeen
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice in theory (but so is communism).

I don't think they'll hold up very long if you travel with them (they're cardboard, correct?), and they really don't look too nice to me.

Idea, nice. Implementation is yucky.

I'll pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh J
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Geosphere wrote:

Look up scrapbook totes.

Wait for a good sale at Michaels or your preferred store and get something that holds a dozen games in compartments and sections with wheels for maybe $50.

Since my girlfriend basically lives at this store, they always have 40% off coupons and similar deals. The "sales" at Michael's are pretty much year round so you'll buy stuff when you come in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, while I think this is one of the least thought through Kickstarters I have ever seen, I think its corrugated plastic, not cardboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea, but I trade games so much I could never use a system like this or gamefolio. If a game goes 4 months or so on my shelf without an inkling to play, onto my trade list it goes! I have 11 of them up in the current math trade...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a better solution go to Michael's, Container Store, IKEA, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, or practically any store that sells any kind of storage.

As someone stated, those that want to consolidate would have some it already, the rest keeps their boxes. Kickstarter is really becoming a preorder site and a bad idea site. Some of the stuff I've seen are like infomercial rejected ideas people are desperately trying to fund.

One of the more unbelievable item I saw someone trying to fund was a plastic clip to out on top of your laptop camera to prevent cyber hackers from getting access to that camera to spy on you. My solution a piece of tape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are garbage, wow.

euronoob wrote:
"increases resale value"

I have yet to have someone not buy a game or haggle with me due to box wear. (But I'm sure there are a few here who would, because we have some OCD types in terms of that)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
To be fair, while I think this is one of the least thought through Kickstarters I have ever seen, I think its corrugated plastic, not cardboard.

I hope so, but it sure looks like cardboard on the inside. I cannot find any mention of the actual material.

I could see getting one of these to handle games with crappy, taped-up boxes or games that do not fit the shelf. Might even be good for designers to store prototype games. No way I would transfer my whole collection into these, though. I like shelves full of box art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Yap
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Shelf space is a problem for me, so I could break down all the games into the Bitbox's standard sized containers (I LOVE standard sized containers, my shelf is right now a mishmash of different sized game boxes) and store the original boxes in the garage. Don't get me wrong I love the look of the game boxes on the shelf but they do take up a decent amount of space.
I like that everything's modular and you can take a tray of game boxes out and stick them in the mobile carry box.
I think the idea's a good one, but ultimately it will come down to cost (vs going to a storage place and just buying some plain ol plastic boxes), durability, and availability in Australia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

That would certainly make a huge difference in terms of quality/durability. The USPS uses corrugated plastic for their mail totes/bins, like the ones inside public mail boxes, and they last a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ct5150 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

That would certainly make a huge difference in terms of quality/durability. The USPS uses corrugated plastic for their mail totes/bins, like the ones inside public mail boxes, and they last a long time.

All those brown edges have me thinking cardboard as well, like banker's boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, the more I look, the more I think maybe it IS cardboard. That would be pretty embarrassingly awful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
inkey jones
msg tools
Maybe for some ppl this is great

To me looks like an awful product

Even if it's not cardboard and it 100% looks like it is cardboard

Maybe a stretch goal is an upgrade in quality?

But their examples and photos make it seem like a bad idea... The normal boxes look so much better on the shelf (even though they have tried to make them look as messy as they can)

Finally they list games that can fit ... And put TM after each game title... So Ticket to Ride TM, etc

Doesn't fill me with confidence that they don't understand how trademarks work and what can and can not be trademarked

Anyway I guess I'm not their customer, can ppl who think it is a good product explain? Maybe they will read this an it can help them put those selling points into the KS (TM) campaign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Johnson
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you fill your game shelves with these BITBOXES as suggested by their photo... how would you EVER find the damn game you were looking for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
The only use I can think of is storing all the miniatures for a game like Shadows of Brimstone if you get all the expansions. You could label each drawer with what miniatures are in there and keep them somewhat separated in the boxes. You could keep the box on the table when playing, and it would make it pretty quick to grab the right one. I've been trying to figure out some good way to do this.

It would have to be really durable for this to be feasible, though, since I'd be opening and closing drawers so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.