Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Turpin
United Kingdom
Bar Hill
Cambs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that the British and KGL companies are able to perform the "Parting Shot" procedure if they retreat into an adjacent hex that contains their parent unit. However if their parent unit is not adjacent are they permitted to retreat before assault and join their parent unit, and if they are not in skirmish order are they still able to perform this retreat. I assume under this condition the "Parting Shot" is not permitted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the bullet list under 16.3.1, they are not permitted to retreat before assault if the parent unit isn't in the adjacent hex to which they would retreat. If they are deployed as Skirmishers and their parent unit isn't adjacent, they would be compelled to retreat before assault if the unit assaulting them wasn't deployed in skirmish order.

The parent unit must be there to provide the support that allows them to execute the "parting shot" as they withdraw. Think of it as a slow retreat with firing - they know they can take their time withdrawing because the formed troops are there to challenge the assault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turpin
United Kingdom
Bar Hill
Cambs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the confirmation Paul. Your response matched my understanding of the "parting Shot" mechanic but wanted to double check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are these Mary Louise rules I read about, somewhere.

Is it a whole new set of rules?
Does it come with the latest edition of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terry Doherty led the development of two separate sets of rules meant to be applicable to any game in the La Bataille series. One is a large, detailed set of rules (Regulations of the Year XXX) that evolved from a set of rules that Clash of Arms sold separately. The Marie Louise rules, first released in the revised edition of La Bataille de la Moscowa, are a pared-down, simpler version of those rules.

Both the Regs XXX, Marie Louise, and rules adaptations specific to all the games in the La Bataille series are available for download from the labataille.us site.

The rules that you'll find in Quatre Bras have similarities to both the Regs XXX and the Marie Louise rules, but are not the same. My suggestion is to either play Quatre Bras with those rules, or go to the labataille.us site and read the Marie Louise rules as you are new to the series. You'll also find the Quatre Bras-specific rules there (which contain scenario set-up, reinforcements, terrain information, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.