United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(continued from Westward Ho! solo playthrough part 2: Adventures)

Here's the third and final installment of this Legends of the American Frontier session using my Westward Ho! solo rules:

Nathaniel has failed to enlist any other players to join him on this group adventure. There's no way he's going to build the transcontinental railway single-handedly, but his true grit allows him to avoid any negative consequences.

Annie parlays her growing fame and status into an opportunistic marriage.

On my turn, my character Steven enlists all his rivals to help build the Great National Pike.

Annie starts a new political party, but with ulterior motives. (She initially didn't have enough Wealth and Providence to do so, but by playing True Grit tokens she'd earned to redraw Skill cards, she was able to finally succeed.)

Jedediah's joy is tempered by sadness.

My character Steven competes with Nathaniel to influence the building of the west's first cathedral in San Francisco.

Nathaniel beats me by a score of 34 to 16, and he uses his charisma to get a Fame token instead of one for Happiness. However, I have Steven use his True Grit to redraw a Skill card, and get lucky to succeed in the adventure at least.

I decide to gamble on getting something more out of the adventure by rolling the True Grit die. Unfortunately, an unlucky roll means that "something more" is hardship. Steven's methods call his motives for being a spiritual benefactor into question.

Jedediah shows that his heart is in the right place.

Despite her lack of substantive military experience, Annie uses her pull to be named commander of the local militia.

Nathaniel's career peaks with appointment to a Cabinet post.

My character Steven, along with Nathaniel and Jedediah, are all eager to expose Annie's sordid past.

My character's efforts succeed in discrediting Annie, uncovering the dishonest sale of forgeries perpetrated by her and her father years ago. (Nathaniel and Jedidiah used their True Grit tokens to avoid the penalty of their failing the adventure.)

Despite the scandal, Annie's connections result in a plum government appointment.

That cowgirl persona hides a pretty shrewd operator.

I spend one Wealth and two Status tokens I've earned to get this Status card for my character. Apparently Steven finds that power is like a drug for him - the more he gets, the more he wants.

150 years before Teflon is invented, Annie's coated with the stuff - everyone forgets her past as she rides her influence all the way to being elected a western mayor.

Nathaniel tries to use his contacts gained in a lifetime of public service to expose Annie's history of malfeasance.

With a +5 difficulty modifier on the adventure's Fate Wheel, even Nathaniel finds it impossible to bring Annie down - her past underhanded financial deals as a politician back east remain unrevealed. Nathaniel learns that judgement is best left to God.

Annie manages to move forward even when she's standing still - she gains two Rewards cards while taking a Rest action.

Annie goes on to win the game with 31 points, my character Steven winds up with 14, while Nathaniel and Jedediah each end up with 6. Legacy cards are awarded at game's end to memorialize the characters' achievements.

Popular perception of Annie's place in American history overlooks some of the more unsavory aspects of her life story.

My character (full name Steven Archibald Springfield) gave his name to St. Louis' Gateway Arch as well as Homer Simpson's hometown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dann May
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hi! Pleased to meet you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoyable read Bill!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dann - beautiful game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
Solo Gaming Reviews and Commentary
badge
Solo Gaming Reviews and Commentary
mbmbmbmbmb
Verdict on buying for solely solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent presentation! Very enjoyable read.

(As an aside though, are you revelaing the Fate Wheel tokens too early on the Frontier and Far West Regions? I think they only become revealed when the adventure ages to that station 2 or 3 respectively. I could be wrong but that's the way I took the iconography on the board.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chuck. You're right, but I didn't reveal the fate wheels too early - once you decide to do the adventure they're revealed regardless of aging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.