Popular Tags: wbc [+] [View All]
Scott Saccenti
United States
Colora
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far so good. Ok, I'll elaborate.

Hotel room itself is sub-par. Exactly what I was expecting. This is an old hotel (my wife and I skied here a lifetime ago when we were kids). Bit musty. I'm in the old lodge. Things are pretty beaten up, over years of hard use and snow-dripping vacationers.

But the common areas are much better. Things appear to be attended to. New construction going on all over (this is a GOOD thing! Imagine anything NEW happening at the Host laugh ). Lots of staff, although let's see if the staff-to-guest ratio holds up well when the rest of you arrive.

Things are much more stretched out here than at the Host. Dashing to a heat in two minutes was never a problem. That is totally out here. I have a pretty conveniently-located room. It's at least a four minute walk to the gaming areas, through one particular choke-point. First-world problems... whistle

For those in the over-flow housing, the condos way up on the hill... You will be taking a shuttle. But. If you want, you can ride down on the ski lift (it starts rolling around 10:00am). I bet it is much quicker. Takes you straight down the hill. Right from where you are to where you want to be, straight line. I was on it a bunch today, doing activities. But I asked the guys running it, and they said any guests can use it, no pass needed or anything. I look forward to seeing my friends floating down the mountain with a pile of eurogames balanced on their laps. laugh

Strongly recommend family types like me to come a couple days early next year. The kids and I got the activity badges today. We've had a blast, bowling, "bobsledding", tube-ing, swimming, rock-climbing, paddle boats, putt-putt. It's only 6:45, and I've had it! Fun day. I'll need a week of sitting on my can, playing board games all day, in order to recover. thumbsup

See you all soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saccenti wrote:

Strongly recommend family types like me to come a couple days early next year. The kids and I got the activity badges today. We've had a blast, bowling, "bobsledding", tube-ing, swimming, rock-climbing, paddle boats, putt-putt. It's only 6:45, and I've had it! Fun day. I'll need a week of sitting on my can, playing board games all day, in order to recover. thumbsup)

Weather permitting, that how our family will be spending the day Tuesday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The facility really seems to be making an effort to make this a good experience for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They clearly need some work on their shuttle scheduling as the time they told me last week doesn't exist any more, or apparently never existed. And then when they told me the new times, the one they had me down for still made no sense given what info I gave them. I tried to ask if I could move up to the earliest departure possible and the annoyed person just said it's not her job to figure that out, and I should just wait around for the next shuttle and ask the driver.

I understand their departure times may not work for everyone, but I had made plans based on them telling me that they did have a time that worked, and had they given me correct info, I would have made other plans with advanced notice. Whereas now it's too late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Alekhine
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is the lighting in Open Gaming compared to the Host? In Lancaster it was really dismal, so that if you didn't find a place underneath a light you were in trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One issue is that, although there's wifi in the common rooms, including rooms where games are being played, it's not consistently available in guest rooms.

[To be clear, there sometime is wifi in the guest rooms -- my wife and son are playing FFXIV using it right now. But not always.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alekhine wrote:
How is the lighting in Open Gaming compared to the Host? In Lancaster it was really dismal, so that if you didn't find a place underneath a light you were in trouble.

My wife tells me the lighting in Open Gaming is "fantastic".

[I went over to visit Open Gaming this evening and I agree that the lighting is excellent.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Saccenti
United States
Colora
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lighting is great in open gaming, I also agree. By the way, tonight is only that-which-used-to-be-called PreCon Saturday, and open gaming was really busy. Turnout this year appears to be way up for this first weekend. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Open gaming lighting is excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Alekhine
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Derwood
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers, Winter Game Fest, etc.
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
alekhine wrote:

Lighting is excellent everywhere I have played. Fluorescent, so purple and black tokens are a bit hard to distinguish. Minor problem!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The guest rooms were a massive improvement over the Host. Not only did I not require s hazmat suit, it was clean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff mullet
United States
circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott, I really enjoyed playing games with several of your kids. They are polite, respectful and good sports. if only they weren't such good players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Fardette
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xfactor wrote:
Scott, I really enjoyed playing games with several of your kids. They are polite, respectful and good sports. if only they weren't such good players.

Yep, Scott has a bunch of sharks! Nice, good sportsmanship, but total sharks. I have to cheat extra hard just to keep things close when I play that crew.

Sorry I missed you this year Saccentis. Maybe next time, or Prezcon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The junior room was phenomenally run, as usual. I think the people that run that are awesome. Without them, my WBC would be very different, so I'm grateful they put that time in.

The only real gripe I have about the physical space was the Laurel room.
I played one heat of Titan: The Arena in there and avoided it for the rest of the week. I would have liked to play Evolution and Elfenland, but decided against it because the space was just too cramped for my taste.

I was impressed overall, though, with the place. The prices of food and drink, as expected, were silly high, but as I said, I knew that going in.

My kids and I had a great week. We stayed in Somerset, so I was able to reserve a room at the same hotel for next year as soon as I got home today.

I do miss the convenience and cheap cost of Lancaster, but I'll keep going back to Seven Springs as long as the con stays there.

It was still the best week of the year.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll put together a more detailed piece later, but on a high level:

The facility is fantastic. It is clean and well kept up. The room I was in (lodge slope side) was very attractive with good order, modern furnishings (like a flat screen TV with multimedia junction) and again clean and well maintained.

The gaming areas were likewise excellent, clean, well-lit and kept at good temperatures for the vast majority. The only real glitch occurred early on and Seven Springs fixed it and fixed it fast.

The staff deserve a special shout out, as not only were they hard working but their attitude was upbeat and VERY helpful.

As to the food, the quality was very good. I especially liked the free range chicken and salmon at dinner and the french toast at breakfast. The prices were not crazy high - they were pretty much typical hotel pricing and the resort even discounted things after we arrived (like reducing the price of the breakfast buffet by $4 and adding a lunch buffet at the same price).

This was a first year where we got used to Seven Springs and they learned about us. I look forward to year two, and to another fantastic year of gaming at WBC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Williams
Morocco
flag msg tools
Great Venue.

No issues I wouldn't have expected anywhere in the first year of a new venue.

Look forward to coming back for many years
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The prices were not crazy high - they were pretty much typical hotel pricing and the resort even discounted things after we arrived (like reducing the price of the breakfast buffet by $4 and adding a lunch buffet at the same price).

I meant compared to Lancaster. $5 for a slice of pizza or $13 for a cheese quesadilla or chicken fingers or $3 for a bottle of water is "crazy high" to me whereas before I didn't give a thought to food cost at the WBC.

I had a ton of options before to offset that kind of cost. That didn't exist here unless I brought a cooler of cold cuts and water.

As I said, I expected it, but it was, and will continue to be an adjustment. I have to budget a bit more through the year whereas before I didn't think much about it because everything was so cheap.

The main comparison point I head throughout the week was increased cost. We all expected this and it certainly won't deter me from coming back, but I don't think it controversial to say, "Food and ancillary stuff was much more expensive than Lancaster."

That's what I meant by "silly high."

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Saccenti
United States
Colora
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The family and I had a great week. My wife came on both weekends with my youngest girl, and she enjoyed the hotel so much that I'm hopeful she will opt to stay the whole week next year.

In retrospect, I was a little hard on our room in the original post above. It was clean and more than acceptable. The cleaning staff was really great as well. The experience of being in the room all week was nothing like the Host, which was instead a don't-want-to-touch-anything feeling at all times.

I never got to try the restaurants out--with it being me and the five oldest kids for most of the week, that simply isn't in the budget (and wouldn't be at any price, really--we simply have to bring our own food to make these long trips affordable).

But I'd really like to hear more feedback from those that gave the restaruants a try. They really looked quite nice. Maybe the wife and I could sneak away from the horde and have a real dinner together one night next year. whistle

Also, did anyone try out any of the semi-local area eating spots? I checked out Yelp and there appeared to be some interesting (if very local-color) options in both Somerset and Jones Mills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Saccenti
United States
Colora
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick comment on room temperature.

Because for all the worthwhile thoughts about the new place (food, cost, parking, drive time, extra-curriculars, whatever), when it comes right down to it, what tops the list of what I actually need for a good convention is:

1. Fun, friendly people
2. Comfortable gaming environment

WBC is a huge score on #1. What about #2 at Seven Springs?
For me, comfort means a well-lit room, enough space, and a cool temperature. Lighting was great, space was great--I don't remember feeling cramped even once during the con!

But the room temp in some of the rooms was too damn hot. Seasons in particular, and I spent a great part of the week in there. Am I going to have to bring a fly-swatter and a personal fan next year? Some were saying the Ballroom/Open Gaming section was too cold. For me (I'm a big guy), they were just right. I feel like you skinny folk can always add clothes. Some of the smaller gaming rooms at 7 Springs...too hot thumbsdown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also, did anyone try out any of the semi-local area eating spots? I checked out Yelp and there appeared to be some interesting (if very local-color) options in both Somerset and Jones Mills.

We stayed in Somerset and ate at both Kings and the Summit Diner a few times.

I guess Kings is kind of the Pittsburgh answer to Denny's or Friendly's? I got the fajita special and the kids got Belgian waffles and chicken fingers. It was good food at a good price.

The star of the show was the dessert, which is why I liken it to Friendly's. Ice cream was real good.

The Summit Diner was awesome. The food was great with huge portions and dirt cheap prices. I wanted to try to make it there for dinner, as they had a different special every night, but it wasn't feasible most times to leave Seven Springs and drive back and forth to Somerset just for dinner.

(We did do that on Saturday night, since we had a big gap between our last games and Slapshot at 11 pm. There was no special on the weekends, though, so that is when we went to Kings.)

Next year, I plan to try the Mexican place, Rey Azteca and I am really curious about just what the hell Eat'N'Park is all about. The kids said no way to eating at a place with that name, but I'm going to chance it next year anyway.

Most of the time in Somerset, though, it was Wendy's in the morning on the way there and McDonalds at night on the way back.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
I meant compared to Lancaster. $5 for a slice of pizza or $13 for a cheese quesadilla or chicken fingers or $3 for a bottle of water is "crazy high" to me whereas before I didn't give a thought to food cost at the WBC.

Forget Lancaster -- $21 for a slice of pizza, chicken fingers and bottle of water if crazy high *anywhere* but a movie theatre. For a regular cheese slice -- maybe the highest I've seen are the monster slices at Penn Station in NY - and those are only $3-3.50 ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Neuschwander
United States
Hummelstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
Next year, I plan to try the Mexican place, Rey Azteca and I am really curious about just what the hell Eat'N'Park is all about.

I stayed in Somerset and ate at Rey Azteca. Thought the food was great and will be my first choice next year. Large menu and not bad prices, especially for lunch. Eat 'n Park is a chain from the Pittsburgh area, similar to Friendly's and Denny's, but with a salad bar that doubles as a breakfast buffet in the mornings. Famous for their Smiley cookies. Food there is usually just adequate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew E
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
There were a couple hiccups - I assume the scheduling people thought Laurel was the size of Fox Den based on what went in there, and uneven AC (though the AC controls are right on the wall, unlocked, in at least several rooms - I didn't go looking for them everywhere, but it was really nice to have a self-help option for when Laurel swung between way too hot because there were 60 people in there to ice box when everyone left).

The food was of course more expensive, but sufficiently motivated people can work around that.

And the tower is a bit far away (especially when you have literally the last room on one of the floors).

But for all that, it's still a huge upgrade and I'm happy with what we got. And that's even before I realized that I didn't get sick this year compared with 2 of 4 previous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I stayed in Somerset and ate at Rey Azteca. Thought the food was great and will be my first choice next year. Large menu and not bad prices, especially for lunch. Eat 'n Park is a chain from the Pittsburgh area, similar to Friendly's and Denny's, but with a salad bar that doubles as a breakfast buffet in the mornings. Famous for their Smiley cookies. Food there is usually just adequate.

Thanks for the info.

I'll make sure to hit Rey Azteca, then, and cross Eat'N'Park off the list.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.