United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
marcnelsonjr wrote:
Belisarius88 wrote:
My main issue isn't the drive, it's the isolation from restaurants. I drive 4 hours to Charlottesville every February for PrezCon. Next year I'll need to pay more attention to the eating options because I was tired halfway through the 9 days I spend at WBC every year. In retrospect I enjoyed many food options around the Lancaster Host.

Have you considered staying in a condo and cooking?

While final pricing has not been announced, there was talk of a price break for longer condo stays possibly - something like book five nights and get two free. If this comes to pass, the condos will become a more attractive option for some folks I think.

I'm 99% sure that WAS confirmed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The gamer that was 45 minutes away (Michael) is not the one commenting about 'if you bring a car' (Daniel).

Sorry....missed that.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I was at the convention site the full 9 days and I failed to make it to all the restaurants that are at Seven Springs. Obviously, others made it to all of them and have determined there aren't enough... YMMV.

I don't think it is so much the variety, but the price.

I thought I was a genius on the second day when I figured we could just eat pizza for each meal and it would be cheaper than getting chicken fingers and fries and eating at one of the sit down places.

Then, I realized I was freakin' nuts for being happy about paying $18 for a sub-par pie 2x/day.

Next year, I will alter the schedule. The mistake I made was taking the "Game every second and fit in meals as an inconvenience" mentality of Lancaster with me.

It was so easy to just pop out for cheap meals and be back in 30min in Lancaster. I can't do that at Seven Springs. Next year, I'll make sure we take trips back to Somerset each day to get a meal.

If I were staying on site and not driving, my plan would be to bring with me what I could and then have Amazon deliver some dried goods and water for breakfast and snacks and fill up at the cheap buffet in the middle of the day.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant LaDue
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good point I think. Seven Springs is not the Lancaster Host, and our personal schedules may need to change accordingly. That may alter the equation for each person differently, and some may not attend because of it, but others may attend because of it as well. 2017 and 2018 will tell us how the attendance is going to work going forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="natsean"]
Quote:

If I were staying on site and not driving, my plan would be to bring with me what I could and then have Amazon deliver some dried goods and water for breakfast and snacks and fill up at the cheap buffet in the middle of the day.

Kevin

I ate big at the breakfast buffet and either skipped lunch or grazed on some dried fruits and other snacks I brought. The Amazon idea is an interesting one, hadn't thought of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Flawd
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Yoshi and I shared a room until my wife got there....we ate PB&J, bologna & cheese, granola bars, donuts, snacks, water & tea we brought along for the week and then ate at the hotel spots Fri-Sat-Sun...just planned ahead and brought stuff, saved money early in the week for later in the week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hef333 wrote:
Yoshi and I shared a room until my wife got there....we ate PB&J, bologna & cheese, granola bars, donuts, snacks, water & tea we brought along for the week and then ate at the hotel spots Fri-Sat-Sun...just planned ahead and brought stuff, saved money early in the week for later in the week.

Pretty much my plan too. Pop Tarts for breakfast. Granola snacks along the way (along with more ice cream than I probably should've eaten). No major meals - I usually treat eating as an inconvenience during the con and get it in while I can - but my eating was mainly one meal and snacky stuff from my room the rest of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kircher
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Condo way is an alternative the way to go for those who are concerned for food options. I stopped on the way at the market in and bought for 3 meals a day. Next year I will cut back. I ended up eating breakfast everyday at the condo. I had lunch at the lodge for convenience and had dinner back at the condo later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Powers
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who booked four nights in a condo already, where can I find out more about this buy-five-get-two deal and/or why haven't we seen it announced? Did I miss it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mpowers wrote:
As someone who booked four nights in a condo already, where can I find out more about this buy-five-get-two deal and/or why haven't we seen it announced? Did I miss it?

Here you go... It's buy five, get two.

http://www.boardgamers.org/wbclodging_7S.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Powers
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I read that and didn't comprehend it at all.

"There is a Condo/Townhouse special for the 2017 event. Book seven (7) consecutive nights and the last two (2) nights are free. You will pay only five nights at whatever bedroom rate you have selected. You may book back to back Condo/Townhouse specials in the same unit (14 consecutive nights), and you will only pay for 10 nights at whatever bedroom rate you have selected."

So it really ends up being buy-five-get-two-free.

Thanks for the clarification! Now I'm going to see if I can extend the reservation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mpowers wrote:
Wow, I read that and didn't comprehend it at all.

"There is a Condo/Townhouse special for the 2017 event. Book seven (7) consecutive nights and the last two (2) nights are free. You will pay only five nights at whatever bedroom rate you have selected. You may book back to back Condo/Townhouse specials in the same unit (14 consecutive nights), and you will only pay for 10 nights at whatever bedroom rate you have selected."

So it really ends up being buy-five-get-two-free.

Yes - sorry! We've already made the reservation and I still got it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Powers
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem! Our reservation was already five nights so we just got two nights for free. (They probably could have told us that when we booked, but still.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I need a fridge next year at a minimum so the kids can eat cereal and other cold drinks. At the Host getting a fridge was iffy but not as much of a problem due to the wide variety of eating options nearby.

I will certainly consider a different unit. I did like the room I received with a private room for the adults and two TVs though.

Next year I'm also going to bring more food with me and I will need to plan driving into town (whatever town that may be) to eat somewhere else and grab groceries. I did visit the nearby small market from 7 Springs several times.

As others have mentioned, my favorite shop was the ice cream one. The kids loved it and I enjoyed their shakes. Also made frequent use of the rudimentary Starbucks. I think any place will tire you after 9 days but I never felt that way about the Host, except I was happy to leave to my own (superior) accommodations.

I'm still going as usual, but probably not 9 days.

Why was Lancaster Host not an option for 2016?

Oh and I have driven from Florida to Lancaster (and flown as well) several times!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

It was falling apart. We got out just in time. It's just too bad it was about the only option big enough for us that was in an area where there wasn't a food/housing monopoly, but also wasn't in the center of a large city (which would have been even more expensive).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belisarius88 wrote:

Wow, don't follow the boards much do you ?

To expand on what Daniel posted: the Board back in 2013-14 had to consider where to sign a multi year contract because the existing contract was set to expire after the 2015 WBC. The Host infrastructure was clearly in a state of disrepair , exhibited by the air conditioner meltdown of 2012 and a lesser AC failure in 2015, the blue tarp stapled to the roof of the auditorium, the "temporary" boiler truck parked under the Paradise entrance...not to mention a whole bunch of lesser stuff.

The question you had to ask yourself : Is the Host even going to be standing by the end of another 4-5 year contract ? The Board, after considering many other factors, decided it wasn't worth the chance .

As if to validate that, this past spring the Host had a large group of dancers in during Memorial Day weekend when a rainstorm caused a catastrophic failure of the roof with water pouring through in multiple places. The authorities condemned the place and it was closed for at least a month til they could complete repairs. Imagine the panic on the boards if we were still there and the Host was closed a month before WBC?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One interesting postscript - there is a brand new Fairfield Inn in between the Host and the Country Inn and Suites that just opened this past summer. Should the Host ever carry out the refurbishments that the new owners have promised, some day the site may come back into play as a possible venue.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g52970-d10326113-Re...

The rates appear to be similar to the Country Inn. Not the cheapest, but by far the newest and cleanest of the immediately surrounding area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
One interesting postscript - there is a brand new Fairfield Inn in between the Host and the Country Inn and Suites that just opened this past summer. Should the Host ever carry out the refurbishments that the new owners have promised, some day the site may come back into play as a possible venue.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g52970-d10326113-Re...

The rates appear to be similar to the Country Inn. Not the cheapest, but by far the newest and cleanest of the immediately surrounding area.

If the host got their stuff together, I'd welcome a return. As it is now, I'm fine with going back to 7S for another year. If nothing else, the open gaming room is so much brighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigtaulefty wrote:

If the host got their stuff together, I'd welcome a return. As it is now, I'm fine with going back to 7S for another year. If nothing else, the open gaming room is so much brighter.

Its a might big if. The new owners took over this past spring and on the surface, not a ton of change from what I've heard so far . HMGS has their annual Fall In ( its always been called that, it's not because of the roof ) in a few weeks and have been promised a preview of some new model renovated guest rooms. Time will tell. HMGS is in the same place our Board was not long ago, their contract is up after 2017 and from the looks of it, are praying the new owners can deliver. Their membership is not likely to accept Seven Springs for example and are more disillusioned with the overall health of their conventions and thus less open to change.

I'm fine with 7S myself, I really liked the quieter setting ( no more hearing trucks downshift crawling up Rt 30 at 6AM ) and more expanded opportunities to get outside. But I fully understand the appeal of the Host from other people's perspective .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

That would be worth considering IF the place got totally rebuilt, not because of the Host itself so much, but because the sum total of what we got in the surrounding area offered so much variety for varying levels of "most bang for your buck" vs "really nice whatever the price" vs "cheapest crap available b/c I probably shouldn't be spending money to attend this con in the first place".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As if to validate that, this past spring the Host had a large group of dancers in during Memorial Day weekend when a rainstorm caused a catastrophic failure of the roof with water pouring through in multiple places.

Correction: It was a water main break not a rainstorm which caused the Memorial Day Deluge at the Host.

Seven Springs was so much better than the Host there's no reason to go back. The only economical way for the Host improve to passable standards is to tear it down and start over--and then it will not be cheap.

The food at 7 Springs I thought was good and about what I expected to pay. Almost all hotels have about the same pricing--roughly $15 for a good burger and fries. BGG.con, Pacificon, Kublacon. Granted I could go outside to another restaurant at those cons, but that takes time--which I have the least of at the WBC. Typically I would have the breakfast buffet, skip lynch and a sandwich or burger for dinner.

The one thing Seven Springs should do is a have a a place for quick food (like Cafe Jay at the Host) in the Main Hotel : sandwiches, hot dogs, etc. (There were quick options in the Ski Lodge.) Possibly this could be located in the alcove near the elevator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
Quote:
As if to validate that, this past spring the Host had a large group of dancers in during Memorial Day weekend when a rainstorm caused a catastrophic failure of the roof with water pouring through in multiple places.

Correction: It was a water main break not a rainstorm which caused the Memorial Day Deluge at the Host.

Seven Springs was so much better than the Host there's no reason to go back. The only economical way for the Host improve to passable standards is to tear it down and start over--and then it will not be cheap.

The food at 7 Springs I thought was good and about what I expected to pay. Almost all hotels have about the same pricing--roughly $15 for a good burger and fries. BGG.con, Pacificon, Kublacon. Granted I could go outside to another restaurant at those cons, but that takes time--which I have the least of at the WBC. Typically I would have the breakfast buffet, skip lynch and a sandwich or burger for dinner.

The one thing Seven Springs should do is a have a a place for quick food (like Cafe Jay at the Host) in the Main Hotel : sandwiches, hot dogs, etc. (There were quick options in the Ski Lodge.) Possibly this could be located in the alcove near the elevator.

In the main lodge near the restaurants there is a take-out window advertised as being for "fast fare". I imagine it gets plenty of use during the ski season, but it was shuttered tight for the entire WBC. It's a shame because I would have preferred more take and eat options in the main building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="rri1"]
Quote:

It will be interesting to see the new rates if they remodel. If HMGS signs another contract beyond 2017 that will be a good gauge based on what they pay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
It will be interesting to see the new rates if they remodel. If HMGS signs another contract beyond 2017 that will be a good gauge based on what they pay.

As Richard says, there's no way you could remodel the Host. If you wanted to bring it up to modern standards you would tear it down and start over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Marty S wrote:

As Richard says, there's no way you could remodel the Host. If you wanted to bring it up to modern standards you would tear it down and start over.

My understanding of the situation is that a complete tear-down would be difficult because the zoning on the property is pretty restrictive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.