Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Thompson
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were going to buy two expansions up front with the base game, which would you recommend? So many options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror: Forsaken Lore is mandatory. The biggest complaint about the base game is taht after a couple of games, you've seen a bulk of the cards. All Forsaken lore does is introduce MORE cards for each deck. The consensus is that base game + forsaken lore = a complete game experience. In otherwords, combine the two for your first game and your set for many, many games.

The other expansions now introduce new rules, so that's where things will become opinionated. And it is recommended that you DON'T start playing with any of them until you have seen all the above combo has had to offer.

My recommendation to freshen things up is to grab one of the expansions that introduce a side board. Which one should really be dictated by the theme. Do you want to go explore a wintry area that has vibes of The Thing? Eldritch Horror: Mountains of Madness Is it for you. You want more of the Egyptian desert theme like from The Mummy? Eldritch Horror: Under the Pyramids.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forsaken Lore is what most of us suggest as the first one. Strange Remnants has the most oddball of the Ancient Ones, take that as good or bad as you will. And beyond those comments, well, here are the BGG average ratings:

8.53 Under the Pyramids
8.51 Signs of Carcosa
8.43 Strange Remnants
8.34 Mountains of Madness
8.33 Forsaken Lore (though this rating is probably lower than normal, since it came directly after the base game... which scores only 7.95)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
Forsaken Lore is what most of us suggest as the first one. Strange Remnants has the most oddball of the Ancient Ones, take that as good or bad as you will. And beyond those comments, well, here are the BGG average ratings:

8.53 Under the Pyramids
8.51 Signs of Carcosa
8.43 Strange Remnants
8.34 Mountains of Madness
8.33 Forsaken Lore (though this rating is probably lower than normal, since it came directly after the base game... which scores only 7.95)

Expansion ratings are a little bit meaningless, though. First, nobody is going to buy an expansion if they don't like the base game so expansion ratings will naturally skew high. Second, the sample is reduced in size again because not everyone goes to the trouble of rating them. Third, there's another skew caused by the recency effect - the more you like the game the sooner you'll buy the expansions, so new expansions tend to rate more highly than older ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided not too long ago to get all the expansions but one at a time or at least add them one at a time but buy them all now.
Currently: base + FL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which one(s) give "Focus"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Which one(s) give "Focus"?
Eldritch Horror: Mountains of Madness and Eldritch Horror: Strange Remnants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
....or use 8 yellow cubes from another game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Schou
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My recommendations, in the order I would purchase them if a shoggoth ate all my stuff and I had to buy it all again:

1) Forsaken Lore - Improves the diversity of what you already got by quite a lot. A must-buy, but be aware that it boosts the difficulty a bit.
2) Strange Remnants - If you like going on expeditions and finding strange treasure, get this. The Mystic Ruins deck and the included AO really boosts the scholarly/archaeology aspect of the theme, which I enjoy.
3) Under the Pyramids - The best of the two big-box expansions, IMO. If you want to try adding a sideboard, get this.
4) Signs of Carcosa - Another great expansion, great AO and fun, new investigators. If I didn't like the ruin-delving so much, this would be tied with #2.
5) Mountains of Madness - Some nice concepts in this one, but I think the sideboard integration is a bit poor and the accompanying AO is a bit too easy. No regrets, but I would get this last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Slattery
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
100% agree with Tonny. Well said!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all expansions, if I had to do it again, I would buy them in their release order. So for you, that would be Forsaken Lore + Mountains of Madness. Forsaken Lore is just an absolute must. It should have been included with the base game.

Regarding MoM, yes, as many have said, you can replace the Focus tokens introduced in this expansion with a substitute. However, the Focus mechanic introduced in MoM is not as simplistic as just giving you a new action you can perform on your turn or a new way to reroll a die without having to spend a valuable Clue token. No, every time a new feature or mechanic is introduced in a game (Poisoned Condition in FL, Impairment Tokens in UtP) it becomes fully integrated into that expansion's other components. This means that new investigators will have abilities based around it (LOVE Ursula Downs!) and encounter and mythos cards will make use of it as well. For this reason alone, not to mention that MoM really is a great expansion with fantastic new investigators, I'd recommend picking up your expansions in their original release order.

Another reason... The impairment mechanic introduced in Under the Pyramids and again in Signs of Carcosa can be brutal. I think it is best experienced when you have the rest of the expansions to mitigate it a bit. Otherwise, you'd be getting impaired much too often if it were one of the only expansions you owned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought FL at first and SR after that.
SR has also focus tokens, unique assets, task assets, new investigators and so on just less of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fell
United States
East Patchogue
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get more dice.-----56
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isearch wrote:
Get more dice.-----56

I thought it would've been a good idea if FFG had included one black d6 that matches the the base game ones in each small expansion and two in the big box ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gubisi Róbert
Hungary
Székesfehérvár
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No doubt, Forsaken Lore is the best because it is mandatory for the AOOs of the base game (most of its cards should be included in the basic box not for selling them for more money).
I have different opinion which is the 2nd best.
Mountains of Madeness. Why?
Pros
+ so far the best interpretation of one of the most popular novels of Lovecarft (MoM) when you fighting against the Elder Things;
+ new table with many cards (48) – not to easy to reach but "This is Antarctica!” – and a prelude card to use them with all the AOOs;
+ 8 new investigators (Ursula, Daisy, George and Agnes are my favourites);
+ new mechanics such as focus, prelude (6), adventure; unique items including tasks,
+ biggest number of new cards among the expansions: 26 mythos, 16 assets, 42 unique items, 8 artifacts, 16 spells (UtP has more); 32 conditions (including funding, hunger, infection, hypothermai and pursuit);
+ 22 almost new monsters (8 epic);
+ my all-time favourite staff, the Gambler’s dice asset ;
+ 3 new gates for the base map;
+ new expedition cards for Arkham, Sydney and Rome.
Cons
-relatively easy AOOs (of course you can use staring rumour and/or only hard mythos crads and/or revised reference card to make a harder game if you want).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Soule
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I bought Under the Pyramids first, then shortly after I got Forsaken Lore. The only expansion I'm looking to pickup next is Strange Remnants. Out of the two I own, I would definitely recommend picking up Forsaken Lore first and then either UtP or SR -- I found UtP for $30 on Amazon so I decided to pick that up first since it's roughly the same price as SR.

It's hard to go wrong with any expansion, as they all add more content to the game, but since FL adds 8 cards to each of the initial location decks it probably adds the most content to the base game. The other expansions expand the base game a small amount, but most come with their own location decks so they grow other parts of the game more.

I will say, I've played a handful of games using the Egypt sideboard and we usually do not get a chance to travel there very often (which is a bit disappointing). We're more often then not trying to keep things from getting out of control elsewhere. I would not say this is a commentary on whether or not to pickup UtP, especially if you like the theme, but just keep in mind if you're not great at the game (we're definitely not) then it can be tougher to experience the new locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Honestly, I think all the expansions are worth getting, as all of them add more and more variety to the game. Forsaken Lore is always a good first choice, but I'm also loving Signs of Carcosa right now because it has some of my favorite investigators as well as my favorite Old One!

Really, you can't go wrong with any. If I had to pick an order (based on personal preference), I'd say:

Forsaken Lore
Signs of Carcosa
Under the Pyramids
Strange Remnants
Mountains of Madness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:

I was told you could easily download the rules and use any token for Focus without getting the expansions.

All I have is the core/base game and Foresaken Lore. I have thought about getting Strange Remnants. Usualy I'm not big on expansions. A couple and I'm done unless something really grabs my attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
Spukky wrote:

I was told you could easily download the rules and use any token for Focus without getting the expansions.

All I have is the core/base game and Foresaken Lore. I have thought about getting Strange Remnants. Usualy I'm not big on expansions. A couple and I'm done unless something really grabs my attention.

Yeah that is true. I also have base and forsaken lore. I went to open Forsaken Lore, thinking it had focus only to realize it didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Psydotek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that the small box expansions are the better choice first, then if you still want more then get one of the big box expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very easy to put focus in.
Just get some tokens, markers or whatever (possibly yellow, that's the focus colour) and put in the rules.
1 action to get a focus.
Use a focus to reroll a die.

But for people that do plan on getting more expansions anyway just get Eldritch Horror: Strange Remnants(after Eldritch Horror: Forsaken Lore, or together), it's a small box, so cheaper. It has new investigators that do stuff with focus which is very fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:
It's very easy to put focus in.
Just get some tokens, markers or whatever (possibly yellow, that's the focus colour) and put in the rules.
1 action to get a focus.
Use a focus to reroll a die.

But for people that do plan on getting more expansions anyway just get Eldritch Horror: Strange Remnants(after Eldritch Horror: Forsaken Lore, or together), it's a small box, so cheaper. It has new investigators that do stuff with focus which is very fun.

Hmm, well I have a ton of extra green focus tokens from X-Wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to reiterate my previous comments regarding using focus without using the expansions they came from. It's sort of like cheating, getting an action that grants a free reroll without using any of the encounter cards or mythos cards that sometimes negatively impact focus or require you to spend focus to offset a negative effect or gain a positive reward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GermanTodd wrote:
Just to reiterate my previous comments regarding using focus without using the expansions they came from. It's sort of like cheating, getting an action that grants a free reroll without using any of the encounter cards or mythos cards that sometimes negatively impact focus or require you to spend focus to offset a negative effect or gain a positive reward.

Actually, virtually all of the cards that use focus do so as a benefit, not to prevent something bad. So it's no loss if you don't have those cards; it actually makes the game harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GermanTodd wrote:

I could have sworn I had seen one of the game designers say somewhere that if they could have gone back in time, they would have included Focus tokens from the beginning -- that it was basically a mistake to have left them out and that it should almost be considered an errata to the original game.

But now I can't find it. I may be exaggerating their thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.