18 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Thread of Combos rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex M
United States
flag msg tools
I realize this forum is full of various commentary on combinations of certain actions, cards, etc, but I think it'd be nice to have a consolidated list of interesting Combos, particularly if it's not exactly intuitive.

To clarify: A combo for this thread is a series of specific actions (specific action cards, mission cards, build deployments) to set up for an amplified result -- particularly a powerful unforeseen/surprise result.

A lame and obvious example:
Optional Name is Optional
Rebel
Requirements: Rapid Mobilization + Contingency Plan
Play Rapid Mobilization twice in a single turn using Contingency Plan in order to change Rebel Base location and then move units from another location to defend it/stage from it.

A better example:
"The Calrissian Shuffle"
Rebel
Reqs: Undercover action card + Lando or Obi-Wan + anticipated Imp mission system + a free Reb Leader
Use Lando/Ben early on in a turn to move units; or achieve a mission in a system where you still want to move a Fleet. When Imp player plays a mission at another system, use Undercover action card to vacate Lando/Ben from current system to a new one, enabling movement (or a second movement) of the Rebel Fleet they shared a position with by a subsequent Leader.

An un-intuitive example
"Not Retreat, Offense in a Different Direction"
Both
Reqs: Leader + Fleet capable of surviving 1 round of combat and is still effective + Enemy Fleet + no adjacent friendly units or friendly systems to system of combat
Attack (or bait an attack) with a Leader, move all units into the combat so no units remain in the originating system, survive 1 round of combat without destroying the enemy Fleet.
Retreat to a desired system to effectively move a Fleet 2 movement spaces (and scout 2 systems if Imp ground units in Fleet). Creative circumstantial move to get past a forward deployed Rebel Fleet blocking access to the Rebel Base -- or just to achieve 2 moves in general. Exceptionally obnoxious if Rebel attempts a preemptive strike against an Imp Fleet poised for a hidden Rebel Base attack, only to see the Imp Fleet retreat INTO the Rebel Base system (as long as none of the Reb units came from the SYSTEM the Rebel Base is located on).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elihu Feustel
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Rapid mobilization plus Contingency plan won't work. RM won't return to your hand until the end of the command phase, after you have used Contingency plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
daringly wrote:
Rapid mobilization plus Contingency plan won't work.

It's been officially confirmed that it will. Rulebook only states it's the card's ability that is resolved at the end of turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daringly wrote:
Rapid mobilization plus Contingency plan won't work. RM won't return to your hand until the end of the command phase, after you have used Contingency plan.

Incorrect. Check official FAQ under "Mission and Action Cards." Also, there's nothing on the card that says it stays out of your hand until the end of the command phase, that's just something people do sometimes so they don't forget to resolve it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elihu Feustel
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Perf wrote:
daringly wrote:
Rapid mobilization plus Contingency plan won't work.

It's been officially confirmed that it will. Rulebook only states it's the card's ability that is resolved at the end of turn.

Thx. Good to know my calling it out wrong was wrong (and I can use this). Getting a new base with instant forces there is potent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan P.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
For the rebels - there is often little reason not to target the same system for missions, each successive icon adding protection or likelihood of success to subsequent missions.

Exemples - you start off with a hit and run or somesuch with Chewie. Thereafter, you can run your infiltration and sabotage missions in the same system with little fear of capture.

Or, hit and run with Chewie, followed by infiltration by Leia (four fists for defense from capture), followed by an incite revolt by Mon Mothma (five diplomacy, four fists). Strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lex Major
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rapid Mobilization + Plan the Assault

Relatively basic. Makes it easy to get a more massive fleet en route to the final assault, since RM is resolved in the Rebel Base space, but PtA specifically disregards leaders in the base for movement.

For instance, great to get a few more X/Y-wing on a Death Star Assault...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except that RM goes off at the end of the action phase, so leaders get returned in between anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JohnnyC Waytobe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I used Han's action card to recruit Chewy on Kashyyyk, then later used Wedge to play Wookie Uprising in the same system - Chewie's new presence added 2 successes and 3 dice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyCwtb wrote:
I used Han's action card to recruit Chewy on Kashyyyk, then later used Wedge to play Wookie Uprising in the same system - Chewie's new presence added 2 successes and 3 dice!

Doesn't work that way. From the Rules Reference:
Quote:
If the mission card has a leader portrait on the topleft
corner of the card, its owner gains two additional
successes if one of the leaders assigned to this mission
matches this portrait.

Note that the pictured leader specifically has to be assigned to the mission. You do get the 3 dice, but not the 2 successes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan P.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
A nice one is Trade Negociations with Mon Mothma, followed by Incide Rebellion with Leia, on a nice plump world like Corellia. You take away Imperial Loyalty and build units, and follow up with clearing it from Imperial presence.

Or, use it on a subjugated world in order to build there that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lindén
Sweden
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wish is your command
Lure of the Dark Side + any other attempt mission

After a successful Lure of the Dark Side you can sometimes surprise the rebel player by immediately gaining the skill icons of the leader just lured to complete another mission in that system.

I remember a game where Wedge was captured, Vader and Palpetine were both assigned to missions. I sent Leia there to protect Wedge from one of the various missions that can be used on captured leaders. Palpetine went there and lured Wedge to the dark side. Then Vader came in and Captured Leia. Having Chewie in my reserves didn't help much since the Empire all of a sudden had 5 spec ops in that system (due to Wedge now being on their side).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alandor wrote:
My wish is your command
Lure of the Dark Side + any other attempt mission

After a successful Lure of the Dark Side you can sometimes surprise the rebel player by immediately gaining the skill icons of the leader just lured to complete another mission in that system.

I remember a game where Wedge was captured, Vader and Palpetine were both assigned to missions. I sent Leia there to protect Wedge from one of the various missions that can be used on captured leaders. Palpetine went there and lured Wedge to the dark side. Then Vader came in and Captured Leia. Having Chewie in my reserves didn't help much since the Empire all of a sudden had 5 spec ops in that system (due to Wedge now being on their side).

Of course, if you're sitting on Chewie's Action card, you can probably get some choice swear words out of the Imperial player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
Xatham wrote:
A nice one is Trade Negociations with Mon Mothma, followed by Incide Rebellion with Leia, on a nice plump world like Corellia. You take away Imperial Loyalty and build units, and follow up with clearing it from Imperial presence.

Can't you do that with build alliance instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan P.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
David Umstattd wrote:
Xatham wrote:

You sure can. But you don't get the units this way.

If you can get the units AND score the mission, that's even better. By mid-game most of the good systems have loyalty on them already, so Trade Negociations becomes more attractive on imperial systems.

Build alliance, on the other hand, becomes more advantageous to play somewhere you can deploy units (deploying units in the mid-game as rebels can be difficult). Often this is done on some shitty 1 triangle system like malastare, alderaan, kessel, to set up a mission in the next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
Xatham wrote:
David Umstattd wrote:
Xatham wrote:

You sure can. But you don't get the units this way.

If you can get the units AND score the mission, that's even better. By mid-game most of the good systems have loyalty on them already, so Trade Negociations becomes more attractive on imperial systems.

Build alliance, on the other hand, becomes more advantageous to play somewhere you can deploy units (deploying units in the mid-game as rebels can be difficult). Often this is done on some shitty 1 triangle system like malastare, alderaan, kessel, to set up a mission in the next turn.

Right but wouldn't you just use Trade Negotiations on a better planet instead and use Build Alliance for the combo?

I mean personally I would just use both missions to grab high value neutral systems in the first place but that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
francisco alliende
msg tools
Don't really remember the cards' names, but it's something like

incite rebellion + build alliance + sabotage + card 1 + card 2 + hidden fleet

card 1: kills two health value of imperial units
card 2: han solo's mission card, where he moves four ground units from the rebel base to any system

If you got the objective card that gives you two points each round for having corouscant, and the imperial player doesn't have ships in corouscant you can play:

1.- Incite rebellion in any system adjacent to corouscant that is subjugated
2.- Build alliance in any system adjacent to corouscant with imperial loyalty (probably corellia)
3.- Sabotage in any remaining imperial system adjacent to corouscant
4.- Card 1: Destroy two worth of health imperial units on corouscant
5.- Card 2: Attack corouscant's remaining forces with as many landspeeders as you can
6.- Reinforce corouscant's empty space with ships, so he can't just put 1 ship and stop your objective.

By now you have severely shortened the empire's capacity to attack back, as you stop their deploying in three systems.

*hidden fleet can be replaced by an action card that does the same thing during the assignment fase of the next round

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan P.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
David Umstattd wrote:
Right but wouldn't you just use Trade Negotiations on a better planet instead and use Build Alliance for the combo?

I mean personally I would just use both missions to grab high value neutral systems in the first place but that's just me.

But there isn't many/any better planets mid-game. And what there, the imperials can move onto in one turn denying you the builds. Unless the units are worth it (Utapau, Ord Mentel), you're better off not.

You can wait until the last action round, but then it's build alliance that will probably get moved on.

Corellia, however, is often under-defended and gives you tasty tasty Mon Cals, and sets you up for a surprise uprising.

Plus, if you have Trade Negociations, Mon Mothma is on it, and it'll be hard to counter her. Not so for build alliance - the emperor can oppose with pretty good odds.

I still think trade negociations is a good card to use offensively, and since this thread is to discuss unusual combos, I think it belongs here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.