Show Manager» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Borrowing Money rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve H
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Money seems really hard to come by and borrowing seems even harder. If you are the last one to put on a type of show, you will not be able to borrow against it. Evenso, you have to hope that everyone doesn't put on the show after you before it gets back to you. Replacing the board seems pretty expensive, especially early on.

Anybody have any strategies for how money should be used and - Can you really depend on ever being able to borrow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule for borrowing is very clever. It not-so-subtly puts a premium on racing to put out a show early, and rewards a player for putting on shows in a different order than their opponents, while at the same time giving the player that skips the loan the most information about what is needed to win a particular spot. Multi-faceted, indeed. The loan mechanism itself contributes to the tension in the game very nicely.

But you asked for some strategies... I'd say the biggest one is to make sure you recognize where you are compared to your opponents for every production. There's nothing worse than losing out on the chance to take a loan because you weren't paying attention to when a production was close to being filled ahead of you. Loans are a necessity and you should not be shy about them. In fact, taking a loan may cause other players to hesitate before taking one on the same play; by tempting them to stay above you, they may end up with less money for the end game if they take your dare.

I think one mistake players make (me included) is trying to hold onto a spot on the track too long, even after knowing the board state; obviously, you'd like to see what other players do before making your move, but that's not always possible. Giving your production an inflated value because you "hope" to win it is counter-productive.

And obviously, if you have a horrible production that you have no chance to win, take all you can.

But I think, in the end, it comes down to what cards you have, what the other players do, and how well you take the risks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.