Hide
3 Posts

Helios» Forums » General

Subject: Are manas used for anything but purchasing the character? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Panu Trivej
msg tools
I am studying the rule to help me decide whether to blind-buy this game.

One thing baffles me. There seems to be a number of ways to get manas: building a temple, building certain buildings, activating some characters, but are manas used for anything but purchasing the characters?

Since there are only eight characters, in a four-player game, they should all be depleted by at most round two. Does that mean for the rest of the game, collecting manas is only for the sake of victory point at the end?

This is how it seems to me. Not a big point or anything, but just want to be clear.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Munro-Chitty
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With the way action selection is handled, it is impossible for every player to build a lot of buildings early in the game. Some will have a mana heavy strategy and some will not. Like with most good euros, it is only one path for points.

This is a very underappreciated game with unique and interesting mechanisms, I blind bought it years ago and still love it with each play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll most likely end with 2 characters for each player. But depending on your strategy you might even skip purchasing characters and collect mana for VP's. I did that in my last game. I played a temple strategy where every temple did cost me just 1 resource. Combined with the infinite sun movement I could let the sun shine on my temples again and again. And I combined that with the building that grants +3 points for each temple. The extra mana I got for building all my temples was a great bonus in the end.

Yes, this game is underrated. It is so great I blind bought it as gift for a friend and later bought another copy for myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.