Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Brinker
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Grognards
badge
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really understand what is being communicated here:
Quote:
Units which begin the friendly Movement Segment stacked together may move as a stack but may not split or “drop off” units during movement. Moving stacks may not “pick up” any units while moving.

This almost makes it sound like units that begin in the same hex are 'stuck' to one another until some other force comes along to separate them. I imagine that every unit can move independently from one another so long as they adhere to their MP and terrain restrictions. What am I missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
binkman wrote:
I don't really understand what is being communicated here:
Quote:
Units which begin the friendly Movement Segment stacked together may move as a stack but may not split or “drop off” units during movement. Moving stacks may not “pick up” any units while moving.

This almost makes it sound like units that begin in the same hex are 'stuck' to one another until some other force comes along to separate them. I imagine that every unit can move independently from one another so long as they adhere to their MP and terrain restrictions. What am I missing?

Nothing. You've read it correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Campbell
msg tools
What's the intention of this rule? It seemed entirely natural to me that units would split up and merge as needed as the front developed, but there's evidently something that the rules are attempting to simulate that I'm missing.

I note also that you can choose to split stacks up when retreating or when advancing after attack - so why not during movement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick Dreckitt wrote:
What's the intention of this rule? It seemed entirely natural to me that units would split up and merge as needed as the front developed, but there's evidently something that the rules are attempting to simulate that I'm missing.

I note also that you can choose to split stacks up when retreating or when advancing after attack - so why not during movement?

It ties in with the cost for entering/exiting an EZOC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Campbell
msg tools
Ahhhhh the penny drops! Have I understood correctly then - the sort of scenario you're looking to avoid is moving one unit off a stack to block an EZOC, and then running the second through the newly-protected hex at full speed?

Makes perfect sense. I might houserule it that you can split and recombine stacks freely as long as it wouldn't interact in any way with ZOC. I suppose that would jntroduce a bit more tracking... are there any other effects I'm overlooking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick Dreckitt wrote:
Ahhhhh the penny drops! Have I understood correctly then - the sort of scenario you're looking to avoid is moving one unit off a stack to block an EZOC, and then running the second through the newly-protected hex at full speed?

Makes perfect sense. I might houserule it that you can split and recombine stacks freely as long as it wouldn't interact in any way with ZOC. I suppose that would jntroduce a bit more tracking... are there any other effects I'm overlooking?

Functionally, it generally doesn't matter if you move as a stack or not EXCEPT when entering or exiting a ZOC as the first unit in or the last unit is the one that pays the movement penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Campbell
msg tools
Well, two games of Enough! later, I'm very slowly getting to grips with everything....

The first time I forgot entirely about not breaking up stacks. The second time I kept it going, but I ran into what seemed like some unusual results. Therefore several questions about movement below!

To clarify, then:

- An infantry division (leg MA4) stacked with an armoured brigade (mechanised MA6) moves on flat terrain. Is the armoured brigade limited to moving at the speed of the infantry division, or can it outpace the footsloggers?

- A light infantry brigade (LI MA4) is stacked with an armoured brigade (mech MA6). The stack moves into an enemy ZOC in highland woods offroad. Does the entire stack have to halt, or can the LI proceed into a second hex on their own?
- An armoured division becomes stacked with a mechanised brigade which totals 5 stacking points and hence is overstacked. There are no convenient enemy units nearby which could hypothetically produce an advance after combat or retreat to separate them. Are the two units stuck together forever more (and hence taking penalties to movement, ER, etc.) or can they move to separate?

- An infantry division with ER5 is stacked with an infantry brigade with ER6. The stack is not in an EZOC. The player gets an Elite Reaction move; the brigade is eligible to move, but not the division. What can move? Just the brigade, the entire stack, or nothing?

- Minimum moves. "A unit may always move at least one hex.... not prohibited terrain/hexsides". Suppose an armoured unit with MA6 is operating near Lahore. It has conventionally valid moves it can make along roads, but to move into the marshes would require 8MP. Should the rule above be read to allow it to move one hex at a time through the marsh, or is the intention to ensure it can always move - and as as it can move along the roads, it may not enter the marshes?

Thanks again for your efforts both in designing the game, and in answering queries on here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The intent is that if you start moving as a stack, you must finish moving as that stack. You may, however, break up the stack before moving to move units individually or as smaller stacks.

Rick Dreckitt wrote:

- An infantry division (leg MA4) stacked with an armoured brigade (mechanised MA6) moves on flat terrain. Is the armoured brigade limited to moving at the speed of the infantry division, or can it outpace the footsloggers?

If you want to move them together as a stack, then, yes, you move at the slower speed. You can move the armored brigade separately if you wish, though.

Quote:
- A light infantry brigade (LI MA4) is stacked with an armoured brigade (mech MA6). The stack moves into an enemy ZOC in highland woods offroad. Does the entire stack have to halt, or can the LI proceed into a second hex on their own?

The LI may not proceed because it is limited by the armor. This is not, necessarily, clear in the rules, but is the intent. The next version will clarify.

Quote:
- An armoured division becomes stacked with a mechanised brigade which totals 5 stacking points and hence is overstacked. There are no convenient enemy units nearby which could hypothetically produce an advance after combat or retreat to separate them. Are the two units stuck together forever more (and hence taking penalties to movement, ER, etc.) or can they move to separate?

See the answer above, but, in short, they can separate.

Quote:
- An infantry division with ER5 is stacked with an infantry brigade with ER6. The stack is not in an EZOC. The player gets an Elite Reaction move; the brigade is eligible to move, but not the division. What can move? Just the brigade, the entire stack, or nothing?

See the answer above, but, in short, they can separate.

Quote:
- Minimum moves. "A unit may always move at least one hex.... not prohibited terrain/hexsides". Suppose an armoured unit with MA6 is operating near Lahore. It has conventionally valid moves it can make along roads, but to move into the marshes would require 8MP. Should the rule above be read to allow it to move one hex at a time through the marsh, or is the intention to ensure it can always move - and as as it can move along the roads, it may not enter the marshes?

It could move one hex at a time, but beware of a Storm trapping you there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.