Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Few rules questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitchell Lurcook
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
okay, so I have a few questions that I realized ive been assuming and I wanna make sure.

1) lets say I get knocked down on my turn, will I get back up at the end of the upcoming monster turn?

2) Lets say I get knocked down during the monsters turn. Then during the players turn I am still knocked down, but during the players turn the monster charges over me or knocks someone into me. Basically does something that would knock me down again if I hadent already been knocked down. Will I still get up at the end of the upcoming monster phase?

3) I hear about people beating KDM, but holy hell we cant seem to get past LY12. What are some tips (please no spoilers), maybe commonly overlooked rules or something? The butcher kicks our asses every time. We are on our 4th settlement.

4) if a player has the priority target token, will they always be the target no matter what? IE too far away, knocked down, hidden in grass. I assumed they did

I think those are it, we are
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Perry
United States
Coral Springs
FL
flag msg tools
badge
TWIST Gaming
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
1) Yes
2) Yes, you can't get knocked down again so you would get up next turn
3) Few tips
- Each Nemesis has a counter, figure them out. Also note confronting them when they first come up might not be the best idea
- Have someone play support, rawhide headband and cat eye circlet with a ranged weapon
- Always innovate
4) Yes always the target but I do believe that hiding in the grass removes the token
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pruden
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WolfVonhinslik wrote:
okay, so I have a few questions that I realized ive been assuming and I wanna make sure.

1) lets say I get knocked down on my turn, will I get back up at the end of the upcoming monster turn?

2) Lets say I get knocked down during the monsters turn. Then during the players turn I am still knocked down, but during the players turn the monster charges over me or knocks someone into me. Basically does something that would knock me down again if I hadent already been knocked down. Will I still get up at the end of the upcoming monster phase?

3) I hear about people beating KDM, but holy hell we cant seem to get past LY12. What are some tips (please no spoilers), maybe commonly overlooked rules or something? The butcher kicks our asses every time. We are on our 4th settlement.

4) if a player has the priority target token, will they always be the target no matter what? IE too far away, knocked down, hidden in grass. I assumed they did

I think those are it, we are


1) yes

2) no, once knocked down you can't continue to get knocked down.

3) babies... Lots of babies and weapons with reach have been my saving graces.

4) not 100% sure. But I'd say always the target.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Lurcook
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
5) Does collision knockback still effect someone already knocked down?

6) if a monster knocks me back into a wall or something due to a reaction, will I not get knocked back or will I shoot out the side? Thats what we have been doing. For example, im already against the wall and the monster is supposed to charge forward 4 spaces.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From what i remember...

If a monster collides with you then you are knockdown.

If a monster collides with you and ends its movement covering the space you occupy then you are knocked down and knocked back.

If oyu are already knocked down when it ends its movement and you are in the way of placing it then you are still knocked back even though you are knocked down.

If you are knocked back into a terrain piece then you take damage to a random location and the terrain piece is discarded or you roll randomly to determine the direction parallel to the terrain. This also includes the board edge and when moving the monster. If the monster touches the board edge but still has movement remaining then you move randomly in a direction along the edge. you do not stop the monsters movement short.

Its weird but a monster will move its ful distance and a player will get knocked back the ful amount regardless of terrain or other survivors.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davor
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gorkel wrote:
From what i remember...

If you are knocked back into a terrain piece then you take damage to a random location and the terrain piece is discarded or you roll randomly to determine the direction parallel to the terrain. This also includes the board edge and when moving the monster. If the monster touches the board edge but still has movement remaining then you move randomly in a direction along the edge. you do not stop the monsters movement short.


note that this only happens with destructible terrain
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
WolfVonhinslik wrote:


3) I hear about people beating KDM, but holy hell we cant seem to get past LY12. What are some tips (please no spoilers), maybe commonly overlooked rules or something? The butcher kicks our asses every time. We are on our 4th settlement.


Think of the Nemesis Encounter as your boss level, or your "Must be this tall to kick ass" game check. It is more than likely that you can continue on the same path you have been going, but it will be much, much harder.

A suggestion for your group is to break down the Nemesis one at a time. What do we need to do to beat the Butcher. You have 3 years to get what you need and limited item selection and resources. What in that likely pool of gear will aid you the most? Then proceed to do the same for the Kingsman.

If you do this enough certain playstyles will suggest themselves. These will not always be the same, however, as bad luck or good luck can radically alter your choice of gear and how you consequently fight.

But! Finding a path and sticking as closely as possible to that desired path will net you more success.

And, indeed, in my games the first Butcher is no longer a factor for the early planning. Unless things go horribly sour, the gear that I'm gunning for to use against the Kingsman will actually put the Butcher down without a problem.

Re-read the gear cards for the early game. See which ones you think will net you a good return come year 12-15-20.

(spoiler alert: WLion armor is a resource drain, as are katars. There are three items I grab from the Catarium - Spear, Bow, Arrow. Then move on and get better gear. I always run the Gorm in my games now, and HIS set of armor and gear is much, much better.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Lurcook
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now we are playing with all the expansions (because we hate ourselves) Right now we have been trying to get the bow and arrow from the lion, no luck and we just got our shit kicked in by the Butcher. We got him to 4 life tho.

(No spoilers please)

We are planning on fighting the spider next session in hopes he has a better chance for giving us a bow (because silk). we have rawhide armor for everyone, I wish there was a way to recycle resources.

The gorm sucks, we are too afraid of leaving anything in our storage for future building because of his damned storm.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
we fought him once in hopes that killing him would end it, but we needed that damned song. We have innovated a few times when we can and got drums which we are hoping leads us to the damned song. We had our stockpile wiped out once and we learned to fear the storms


The Gorm also scares us because luck had it, we drew his trap card 4 TIMES IN A ROW and that made the fight WAY harder then it should have been.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Perseverence will win with the Gorm. His stuff is worth it.

Really, though, just try re-reading all of the gear cards.

And, a question: is everyone just trying to rush in and hit for damage? I know that it feels like you need to do as much damage as you can all the time, but having the team break down into MMO roles can be very useful.

Having a Tank, Off Tank/DPS, Healer/Support, and Ranged Support/DPS can make battles much more survivable.

For early (0-5) matches my parties usually have a tank in full rawhide with monster grease and founding stone or a sword, a bowman with cat's eye and waistcloth and bone darts, a fist n tooth with founding stone and bandages and waistcloth, and a spearman in waistcloth with grease.

Things can go badly, yes, but it usually only goes horribly wrong for one person, two at the most before we've done enough damage to put the creature down.

Using the tall grass against both the Gorm and WLion is a key.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Perry
United States
Coral Springs
FL
flag msg tools
badge
TWIST Gaming
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
WolfVonhinslik wrote:
Right now we are playing with all the expansions (because we hate ourselves) Right now we have been trying to get the bow and arrow from the lion, no luck and we just got our shit kicked in by the Butcher. We got him to 4 life tho.


All expansion makes the game much more difficult, i would recommend just doing a base game to help understand the core mechanics before adding everything as it gets overwhelming and you can't do much.

Also you need to pick one monster to hunt and really farm it to get decent gear. Resources management with all the expansions can get tricky as it is harder to build a gear set.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
Avatar
mb
[q="IASeldon"
(spoiler alert: WLion armor is a resource drain, as are katars. There are three items I grab from the Catarium - Spear, Bow, Arrow. Then move on and get better gear. I always run the Gorm in my games now, and HIS set of armor and gear is much, much better.)[/q]

This is such an oversimplification. Both the armor set and the katars can be quite powerful.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WolfVonhinslik wrote:
5) Does collision knockback still affect someone already knocked down?
...


I'm still wondering about this myself. It seems weird to me that someone lying on the ground would be knocked back by something like a lion's roar, but the rules don't seem to say anything to the contrary.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
n3x3n wrote:
WolfVonhinslik wrote:
okay, so I have a few questions that I realized ive been assuming and I wanna make sure.

1) lets say I get knocked down on my turn, will I get back up at the end of the upcoming monster turn?

2) Lets say I get knocked down during the monsters turn. Then during the players turn I am still knocked down, but during the players turn the monster charges over me or knocks someone into me. Basically does something that would knock me down again if I hadent already been knocked down. Will I still get up at the end of the upcoming monster phase?

3) I hear about people beating KDM, but holy hell we cant seem to get past LY12. What are some tips (please no spoilers), maybe commonly overlooked rules or something? The butcher kicks our asses every time. We are on our 4th settlement.

4) if a player has the priority target token, will they always be the target no matter what? IE too far away, knocked down, hidden in grass. I assumed they did

I think those are it, we are


1) yes

2) no, once knocked down you can't continue to get knocked down.

3) babies... Lots of babies and weapons with reach have been my saving graces.

4) not 100% sure. But I'd say always the target.


concerning 4) Just bear in mind that there seems to be some situations where you cannot remove the priority token no matter what (minor spoiler:e.g. when you score a critical on the White Lion's balls XD)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
emodiu5 wrote:
IASeldon wrote:

(spoiler alert: WLion armor is a resource drain, as are katars. There are three items I grab from the Catarium - Spear, Bow, Arrow. Then move on and get better gear. I always run the Gorm in my games now, and HIS set of armor and gear is much, much better.)


This is such an oversimplification. Both the armor set and the katars can be quite powerful.


They can be, and yes it is a gross simplification.

But the OP is having difficulties enough without side-tracking into slightly dangerous territory with that gear set. Let's try to give him advice that will let his group finish a session or at least make it to the Hand before steering him into more specialized builds.

Personally, I was all for grabbing the armor and katars before the Butcher if possible, now they seem like such a resource drain considering the goodies that lie a bit further down the road.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.