Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: How to play as the MasterMind rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dominic Burrell
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey everybody, this is my first post and looking to get some help. I still not understanding how you actually play as the Mastermind. I have all expansions except FF(No reasonable prices anywhere).
Do you still put MM cards on the board?
Can you use your villains to directly attack the HQ or their deck?
Do I attack the villains that enter the city or do I fight my own adversary deck?
I think if someone can give me a run through of your turn as the MM, it would help.

Thanks to who ever can give me some insight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
As the mastermind, you have similar abilities, but a different style. Although you can attack the villains, usually you'll want to spend power on your ambition cards. You deal 1 out from your ambition deck every turn. You can have 3 available plus "Pure Evil," which is always there. If you have a full set when a new one comes out, you must discard one. They all provide various inconveniences. Spend your fighting power to activate an ambition, then discard it. Sometimes attacking villains will be helpful if you prefer to get their FIGHT effects. You ultimately win if the scheme prevails, so you always have the ambition card "Pure Evil" available to advance the deck.
Yes, the mastermind cards are still used. You do not play a card from the villain deck on your turn.
You interact with the HQ the same way everyone does: by recruiting heroes to the side of evil. If you have Villains, you can instead make your own lair with an Ally deck of 3 allies and recruit from there instead of the HQ.

So, in summary of the turn, you start by dealing a card from the ambition deck instead of playing a card from the villain deck. You can activate it by paying its cost in power, then discarding it. If you have more than 4 ambition cards (including the "Pure Evil" that is always present), you must discard one. You recruit from the HQ (or your lair if applicable). You may attack villains, usually to get their effects, but you'll more likely want to activate your ambitions. Do whatever you can to allow the sceme's "Evil Wins" condition to trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Burrell
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
That definitely helped, thanks. It seems like someone who is a weaker player would serve better off as the MM in order to make the game more balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Newer, sure, but not too new. I'd say a player should have at least 3 solid games in before attempting to mastermind. Personally, I love being the mastermind, but I take care to construct my scenarios appropriately for the players involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
Organous wrote:
You interact with the HQ the same way everyone does: by recruiting heroes to the side of evil. If you have Villains, you can instead make your own lair with an Ally deck of 3 allies and recruit from there instead of the HQ.

FWIW, owning Villains isn't really necessary - especially since Secret Wars gave us members of the Cabal - it's entirely valid to use "heroes" to advance your evil schemes.

It's pretty easy to put together a thematically appropriate array of heroes, I once used a selection of the Marvel universe's greatest assassins, assuming Loki (the MM) would target them for some mind-control fun. Punisher, Deadpool and Winter Soldier. A solid team and one with some interesting cards to interact directly with the other players (Hostile Interrogation and Random Acts) and the board (Here, Hold This).

IMHO: playing as MM is somewhat disconnected and should probably be left to the most experienced player around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M. Cabal Inés
Spain
Oviedo
Principado de Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corrupting heroes strategy is very good for the Mastermind player because you can take the heroes they need and make them your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.