Subject: Factory Card number 14 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lunadips Sixsmtih
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
On factory card 14 it states "Gain on (deploy mech symbol): worker / coin / coin.

I'm in the middle of my first game and didn't get the relevance of the mech symbol on this card. Does this mean that when you play this card you are able to move any factory worker (whether in play or on your play mat) to a deployed mech? If so what if you don't have any mechs in play when you play this card? Can it be any worker or do they have to be in play already OR on your player mat still?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's there because I needed a universal place to put a worker, and workers can always be transported on mechs (even on lakes for some factions).

If you don't have a mech in play, you can't gain a worker in that way. And yes, you must gain the worker from your player mat, not the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunadips Sixsmtih
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great- thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
jameystegmaier wrote:
It's there because I needed a universal place to put a worker, and workers can always be transported on mechs (even on lakes for some factions).

It could have been gain w/worker! It's more unique this way, though.

Quote:
If you don't have a mech in play, you can't gain a worker in that way.

Can you still gain the coins without having a mech in play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

If you don't have a mech in play, you can't gain a worker in that way. And yes, you must gain the worker from your player mat, not the board.

What about the case where the player has a mech, but the mech is on home base?

I know you can't use the normal Deploy action to deploy a mech if your workers are all on home base. Does the reverse restriction hold true for this Factory card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an excellent question. I'm going to say the mech needs to be on a territory for you to use that part of the Factory action, as home bases are intended purely as a starting point and a place to retreat, not a place to gain stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
That's an excellent question. I'm going to say the mech needs to be on a territory for you to use that part of the Factory action, as home bases are intended purely as a starting point and a place to retreat, not a place to gain stuff.

Thanks for the ruling!

weasel47 wrote:

I think for "gain stuff" lines, you always gain as much as possible. This is why you can do the "Deploy" action after gaining 4 mechs. You cannot gain another mech, but you still get the coin bonus and the recruit bonus (if you unlocked it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct, you gain as much stuff as you choose to gain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
jameystegmaier wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
weasel47 wrote:

I think for "gain stuff" lines, you always gain as much as possible. This is why you can do the "Deploy" action after gaining 4 mechs. You cannot gain another mech, but you still get the coin bonus and the recruit bonus (if you unlocked it).

That's correct, you gain as much stuff as you choose to gain.

Okay, just because I don't feel like it's quite been explicitly stated yet:

With factory card 14, if you have no mechs or all your mechs are on your home base, you ARE allowed to take the factory card top action to gain the two coins (and no worker)? It's only the worker part of the reward that's restricted by needing a mech, and if you decline to gain the worker, the "with mech" part doesn't apply?

This thread covered a similar question about the Trade action, but (as one of the entries in that thread points out) the Trade action has a slash that could be interpreted to separate the "w/Worker: resources" from the "popularity". Factory card 14 doesn't have such a slash.

I suppose by extension the same question applies to the bottom-row actions, since they don't have a slash, either. If all your workers are on your home base, can you take a bottom-row mech/structure action, decline to build a mech/structure, and just take the coins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"With factory card 14, if you have no mechs or all your mechs are on your home base, you ARE allowed to take the factory card top action to gain the two coins (and no worker)? It's only the worker part of the reward that's restricted by needing a mech, and if you decline to gain the worker, the "with mech" part doesn't apply?"

Yes, for any action, you may gain as much of the benefit as you want.

"If all your workers are on your home base, can you take a bottom-row mech/structure action, decline to build a mech/structure, and just take the coins?"

--Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.