Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So here is the story of how I tripled my opponent's score on my first ever play of Islebound:

2 players, we decide to use the Metropolis buildings and the 6th building rules, also close quarters.

I knew right from the start that I wanted to own Stratic to control building. So my first move was to buy the House of Commons which gives me better influence spots when I place influence. My opponent followed a combat strategy for the whole game, so we rarely got in each other's way. In the third turn I made a huge goof by spending my last coin instead of taking the three on the map, I figured I could do it next turn since my opponent still had 5 coins so they would do something else, WRONG! They were savvy and saw I was broke so they took the coins. I was convinced for the next 5 turns that I'd just lost the game. The next thing I had my eye on was the Market which folds into an influence strategy very nicely, but my opponent kept being just ahead of me in fish, and thanks to some well placed events actually had the majority of the influence spaces. So I was really nervous that they were going to build it out from under me, but instead they spent the fish on sea monsters. The crucial turning point came when snatched the Construction Yard that discounts buildings by a coin, paired with the Academy of Builders that gives a point for each building. Just after a few cycles of events, ally, buying, I had 7 buildings including the Treasury that gives 5pts. for having 15 coin which I had set aside. When I realized I had control over the end of the game I took another turn to brag a bit for another 7 pts gaining 2 books from the renown token bringing me to 3 books. At this point I was only slightly ahead of my opponent, maybe 5-10 pts. The last turn was insane.

What fueled this combo was the discount to buy buildings paired with the rebate for the four book cards. On the last turn I bought a building that gave me a book when I built so I moved to Stratic and built giving me my 4th book. Then I realized that there was no point saving the 15 coin for the Treasury because I got a discount on buildings and the Metropolis buildings were also an extra point. So I started digging into the stack. At first I had 6 more base buildings than Metropolis, but after hitting a couple 2 cost buildings that were essentially free, I had to eventually alternate between types. The academy just added insult to injury as I got a point for each new building. I ended up with 21 buildings! Final score 154-49. I checked to make sure everything was played correctly, the rules for buying do not state that you replace buildings immediately, but the rules for building do say that you replace immediately. And the rules for Metropolis say you replace immediately "as normal for buying and building" so I think it was all legit. Just a crazy perfect storm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that does seem like a huge number of buildings! Sounds like a killer last-turn.

You do replace buildings immediately when the are built or bought from the row.

Couple of questions:

-You only built one building per turn at Stratic?
-Can you explain what you mean by the "rebate for the four book cards"?
-On your last turn you went from 7 to 21 buildings with 15 coins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I only built once per Stratic visit, everything else was paid in coin.

By "rebate" I mean the coin gained after buying a four-book building at full price (in this case one less due to Construction Yard) so I made sure I could afford to pay first, then took a coin after placing the building.

Now that I think closer I actually had 9 buildings going into the last round (sorry, I typed this at midnight with a game of Scythe in between). I triggered the endgame by buying my 8th and 9th buildings, one of those would give me a book when I built. On the last turn I had the 15 coin I was saving plus 3-5 more and one book. During my endgame turn I visited Stratic (which I owned) and built my 10th which gave me a book and put me at 6 reknown. The top token was two books so I bought the cheapest building to get the bonus point from the Architects building. Then I just bought the 4-book buildings until I ran out of money. I got really lucky with three 2 cost which with one discout and one rebate were "free" and another 3 cost, if something was over 4 I bought one of the other buildings to reveal a new one in the rebate spot. I know I ended with 21 because I almost didn't count the extra point in the Metropolis buildings and so I remember I had 10 and I had one more regular building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, right, that makes sense. It sounds like you followed the rules. That might be the highest score I've seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray for highscore!

Last night I played a 4p game without any fancy stuff and again crushed on the last turn. I conquered the books to points port and turned in 8 books, I also had the 4pts for conquering a port and, of course, 1 pt. per new building buildings. I ended up with 116 while the others were 45-60. I'm a natural. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien Volle
France
Le Versoud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.