Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Highfill
United States
Boston
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to see if I could create a snapshot of what many of you love and dislike about Scythe. The options in this list are obviously not comprehensive, but they should provide a general idea of what people like and dislike about the game. FYI, there are a few more options in the dislike category (e.g. rules, setup time, etc.). Thanks for sharing!

Poll
What do you like best about Scythe?
Overall production (art and miniatures)
Combat system
Resource Management
Exploration
Upgrading
"Star" system (timing and end-game scoring)
Player interaction
"Fun" factor
Scalability
Game length
Weight vs. Complexity
Replayability
Theme
Originality
Objectives
Asymmetry
      192 answers
Poll created by Matt62702

Poll
What do you dislike most about Scythe?
Overall production (art and miniatures)
Combat system
Resource Management
Exploration
Upgrading
"Star" system (timing and end-game scoring)
Box size
Setup time
Player interaction
"Fun" factor
Scalability
Game length
Rules
Weight vs. Complexity
Replayability
Theme
Originality
Objectives
Asymmetry
      169 answers
Poll created by Matt62702

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite thing is wanting to play the game, my least favourite thing is I still haven't got the game yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only gripe with the game is that the Race player mats are not recessed/double layered like the action mats are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You didn't list it, so I chose exploration, but my favorite element of Scythe is the action selection system- top or bottom or top, then bottom including increased benefits, reduced costs, and enlist/recruit and buildings bonuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually my biggest gripe is that the map can appear too "busy" sometimes. I love the art, but it can interfere with the gameplay a little bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristabelle Du Bast
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:
My favourite thing is wanting to play the game, my least favourite thing is I still haven't got the game yet

++1 (In the nicest possible way of course) It's like waiting for Xmas whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hewlett
msg tools
The thing I dislike is my wife keeps winning! She has taken all the prestigious slots on the achievement sheet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Boyd
United Kingdom
Newtownards
County Down
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm loving the game but one of the first things I noticed was the soft plastic of the minis. So much so that the eagle was already about to break off and I hadn't even taken it out of the box at that stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Favorite is the action selection and how upgrades work.

Least favorite is the movement system. Way to complicated to figure out who can do what and I am not a fan of teleporting from one space to another via a mine, unused base or lake to lake. I would not mind a single portal like from your personal mine to a spawn point, but there are just too many different types of spawns in this game with too many possible locations.

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mb
So the best thing about this game is the quality of the components?

oh....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Highfill
United States
Boston
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
albino_penguin wrote:
The thing I dislike is my wife keeps winning! She has taken all the prestigious slots on the achievement sheet!

I feel your pain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Highfill
United States
Boston
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xen911 wrote:
You didn't list it, so I chose exploration, but my favorite element of Scythe is the action selection system- top or bottom or top, then bottom including increased benefits, reduced costs, and enlist/recruit and buildings bonuses.

Yeah. I probably should have listed it as an option. Oh well. Thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Yuen
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coming last in every game so far least favorite thing soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised by the "Setup time" answers. For this type of game, the setup is great. It could be that we played Orleans the night before breaking out Scythe, but I felt like it was a breeze. Pull out the board, shuffle a few things, and hand everyone a bag of tokens to setup on their board. Most heavier games take a bit of setup, and I'd actually wager that Scythe is a little better than average in this regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Highfill
United States
Boston
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
I'm surprised by the "Setup time" answers. For this type of game, the setup is great. It could be that we played Orleans the night before breaking out Scythe, but I felt like it was a breeze. Pull out the board, shuffle a few things, and hand everyone a bag of tokens to setup on their board. Most heavier games take a bit of setup, and I'd actually wager that Scythe is a little better than average in this regard.

I'm the one who usually sets up the games when my wife and I play. I don't mind a long setup time if it's a longer game and one that I really enjoy. Scythe really didn't meet either of those criteria, and it took me about 20 minutes from unboxing to complete setup. It's not the longest setup time by any means, but even for it's weight (medium-weight), it's still fairly long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JJWonderboy wrote:
So the best thing about this game is the quality of the components?

oh....

Don't be fooled, there are many games with great components but naff gameplay (Cryptozoic Ghostbusters and Mega Man both allegedly fill the bill.) You don't see either of those shooting to the top of the hotness and have people hyping them up.

Scythe just happens to be a great game that has overly fantastic production values to boot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I wish there were a "riverwalk" option. That's my least favorite element. I hate having to keep looking down to remind myself of how enemies (and even my own) mechs can move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My least favorite thing is that I'm not playing it right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacMartin
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my favourite thing is the one element I definitely saw for the first time in this game: how the resources stay on the board, and how combat and defence is viewed more in terms of controlling production than territory.

My least favourite thing is hard to find. Setup didn't take too long (though after I unboxed, I organized so every resource was separated, every deck was separated, all character pieces were together). I think it's the exploration. Or, more to the point, I think more could have been done there (I don't know *what*). Compared to the rest of the game, the finding out what's out there is a little meh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit underwhelmed by the combat system. If you introduce something like combat cards, why not make full use of the mechanic instead of only adding a bonus to a single attack value?

It's harder to say what I like best about the game. There's a lot to like!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
I love the components and overall tight design that rewards planning.

What I don't like is how some elements are so incredibly abstract, they don't "click" with the theme very well. Recruiting comes to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't answer those polls! It's like being asked "which if your children is your favorite?" surpriseshake I like most all of the aspects of the game and my only small niggle Jamey helped me address (the one cardboard bit left to use in the pimped-out version: encounter chits).

I can't decide!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Howard
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
I'm surprised by the "Setup time" answers. For this type of game, the setup is great.

Least favourite thing doesn't mean it's bad, but merely that it's "worse" than everything else. Not entirely surprised to see it like that myself. It's not _bad_, but it's a lower "positive" than the rest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Choosing a favorite was hard.

But choosing a least favorite was easy -- the Star system. It's not that the star system itself is bad, but there's a significant last-turn advantage. It's not game-breaking because it just changes the game into one in which the most skilled player engineers that last-turn diaspora for themselves (or can at least accurately anticipate when another player's about to barely beat them to it), but it tends to create apparent blow-out scores in low-player-count games, in particular that can be demoralizing and appear not to represent how closely played the game was otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked upgrade, but my favourite was not on the list, Enlist. I love the simultaneous nature of the duel benefit of both this and upgrade, although the ongoing benefit of Enlist is more interesting to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.