BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 2 Player Football Card Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Gruenwald
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Does anyone know if there is a two player deck building style card game out there. I'm vaguely familiar with Blood Bowl but I was thinking something that mostly used cards and was kind of similar to Bottom of the 9th.

If not, then I have an idea. I was thinking of a game in which you choose a team and them build 2 separate decks which consist of plays - one for offense which would have run plays (inside and outside) as well as pass plays (these would have different routes that could be run). The team on defense also has cards which represent their defensive play and if the guessed a run and the offense picked a run play then there is a better chance for the offense losing yards or only gaining short yards. But if the offense picked run and defense picked pass then there would be more yards gained for the offense.

Each player would have cards in their hand for their playbook as well as extras that they could add to the play they call, like the offense chooses an inside run and defense chooses a pass. Then they lay those cards down then the can add things like the offense adds a draw style play to their chosen play which gives a bonus if the defense selected pass. The defense could play a blitz card which could give some type of bonus. I'm imagining there to be some dice rolling as well

Just a quick thought I had before I go to bed tonight. If something like that already exists please let me know. If not, any thoughts on this type of game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
1st & Goal seems like it has some of what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MeepleofaMan
United States
Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Perhaps look at Blood Bowl Team Manager.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Playbook Football but it is not a card only game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Upper deck made a ccg called Gridiron in the 90s. 2 player card game. I would think you could find some on ebay

Gridiron Fantasy Football

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gruenwald
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
This is basically exactly what I was thinking of. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick South
United States
Scottsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Masters of the Gridiron would give you a good deck building option. The offerings for the game are limited, but the cards represent plays and players with defenses and offenses making up the deck. I liked the game, thought it had real potential, but the company has been disappointing in their follow up. Still, if you can find some cheap decks somewhere, it's a neat system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The statistics based annually updated games such as APBA and Strat-O-Matic have some aspects of offensive and defensive play calling and modifying (some official and other potential house rules.)

The last time I bought either, APBA had cards for every player on the team while Strat-O-Matic used one card for team defense. Either way, you can play the roster of a given year you own or do a draft that would have the deck building essence.

Imagine a 1973 O.J. Simpson with an All-Star offensive line from their best seasons. But that begins to get into the type of collecting like M:TG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.